Steetley tippers

I ended up doing pretty much the same thing rigsby, except I bolted a 4 inch section of 3 inch diameter steel tube to the pedal…It didn’t help much with the suspension though. We threw a street party when they were dragged off to the knacker’s yard. Just out of curiosity PD, what exactly is a monolex wheel ? First time I’ve come across that one to be frank. Regards. Eddie. Not Frank…he’s currently indisposed.

To be Frank, Eddie, don’t call me Shirley!

John

Eddie Heaton:
I ended up doing pretty much the same thing rigsby, except I bolted a 4 inch section of 3 inch diameter steel tube to the pedal…It didn’t help much with the suspension though. We threw a street party when they were dragged off to the knacker’s yard. Just out of curiosity PD, what exactly is a monolex wheel ? First time I’ve come across that one to be frank. Regards. Eddie. Not Frank…he’s currently indisposed.

Eddie the George Fischer monolex wheels were mainly fitted to MAN s ,Some ERF pet reg lorries had them too ,I didn’t think they were a very good wheel really ,they were I think supposed to be lighter than normal steel rims but the face was soft where the whashers on the nuts were and wore away with out the nuts being loose ,it was common practice to run the grinder over the face to rid the ware marks .if you look at your photos you can see the very square shoulder on the rims with the square vent holes .

Thanks for your explanation Dan, I never realised that I was running around on monolex wheels. Being perfectly honest, over the years, there have been so many changes in this industry , most of which passed me by, as my only concern was to get the job done within the tight parameters allocated.

You’ll no doubt be aware of the phrase ’ cannon fodder '?, well, we were ’ wagon fodder '. I vaguely remember locking rings disappearing off the scene, but I didn’t pay too much attention, as it wasn’t really my problem what held the tyre onto the rim, that was someone else’s job.

There are only so many hours in the day after all. After a 15 hour day, you couldn’t really give a flying ■■■■ what kind of wheels you were riding on.

I’ve arrived at the promised land now thankfully. I survived 44 years in the game and came out in one piece, and for me, that’s a result. All the best now my friend, I sincerely hope that you make it to the promised land.

Regards. Eddie.

No chance Eddie ,my uncle is 75 next he’s still at it the same as he was 60 yrs ago ,he’s never worked for anyone else but him self and drove a lorry before the legal age and I am 37 yrs behind him .he went to steetleys at Worksop a while ago the gateman said have you been before m8 ,yes he says about 1957 for load of lime in a bedford down to Warwick !

Found this on FB not my pic.
12346514_10206412766330648_1875316763685661981_n.jpg

Merry Christmas guys.

Enjoying reading this post whilst supposedly putting in my last few hours of work of 2015! :laughing:

My old man ran a number of ex Steetley tippers over the years. He bought them all from Pelican Engineering at Rothwell. We weighed in the bulker ali boides and fitted them all with either new Townend or Charlton steel bodies. Each one turned out to be a great motor for us and we covered many thousands of trouble free miles in those old motors.

Barry (Gloves) has a number of pictures of these trucks in our livery I’m sure. Be nice to see some on here if possible?

The ones I remember are:
B26 SUM - 250 ■■■■■■■
B27 SUM - 250 ■■■■■■■
E435 VWE - 250 ■■■■■■■
E436 VWE - 250 ■■■■■■■
E438 VWE - 270 CAT

I’ll try dig out some pics if Barry doesn’t have any.

Merry Xmas :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas guys.

Enjoying reading this post whilst supposedly putting in my last few hours of work of 2015! :laughing:

My old man ran a number of ex Steetley tippers over the years. He bought them all from Pelican Engineering at Rothwell. We weighed in the bulker ali boides and fitted them all with either new Townend or Charlton steel bodies. Each one turned out to be a great motor for us and we covered many thousands of trouble free miles in those old motors.

Barry (Gloves) has a number of pictures of these trucks in our livery I’m sure. Be nice to see some on here if possible?

The ones I remember are:
B26 SUM - 250 ■■■■■■■
B27 SUM - 250 ■■■■■■■
E435 VWE - 250 ■■■■■■■
E436 VWE - 250 ■■■■■■■
E438 VWE - 270 CAT

I’ll try dig out some pics if Barry doesn’t have any.

Merry Xmas :slight_smile:

img246.jpg
steetley.png

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgThis was a decent motor, which is more than can be said for the site.

Found on Facebook,not my pic.
72394_1490674907667860_2837998215422377403_n.jpg

Foden450:
Merry Christmas guys.

The ones I remember are:
B26 SUM - 250 ■■■■■■■
B27 SUM - 250 ■■■■■■■
E435 VWE - 250 ■■■■■■■
E436 VWE - 250 ■■■■■■■

Found the trucks you mentioned, ex Steetley

!985 was a good year for Pelican and Foden as I have several with the B— SUM registration

Barry/Gloves

Thanks Barry!

Fab pics.

The old man will be chuffed when I show him these!

gloves:

BonkeyDollocks:

scabinacab:
Excellent !

Many thanks to all that replied, some interesting comments about Steetley & the “ET” reg plates. I think my chances of finding my old one are pretty slim now, spent quite some time doing various google searches, only to come up with the same pics over & again.

No big deal, it would have been good to see the old beast but I have the pic of 515 & aside from the reg & fleet number it’s identical.

Shame i havn’t got any pics of 516 when I had it !!

thanks again chaps :slight_smile:

Always happy to oblige! :wink:

Few from my collection. Got a little confusing in late 80’s when photo’ing repainted Steetley trucks with Redland ‘cabs’ and Steetly mixer drums!!!

Some of the photos from your kneck of the woods - Dowlow

Barry/Gloves

Amberhills bought a few ex steetleys.
11666110_978613985523346_1322372551394837678_n.jpg

paul motyka:

gloves:

BonkeyDollocks:

scabinacab:
Excellent !

Many thanks to all that replied, some interesting comments about Steetley & the “ET” reg plates. I think my chances of finding my old one are pretty slim now, spent quite some time doing various google searches, only to come up with the same pics over & again.

No big deal, it would have been good to see the old beast but I have the pic of 515 & aside from the reg & fleet number it’s identical.

Shame i havn’t got any pics of 516 when I had it !!

thanks again chaps :slight_smile:

Always happy to oblige! :wink:

Few from my collection. Got a little confusing in late 80’s when photo’ing repainted Steetley trucks with Redland ‘cabs’ and Steetly mixer drums!!!

Some of the photos from your kneck of the woods - Dowlow

Barry/Gloves

Amberhills bought a few ex steetleys.

Snap!!! Just what you were saying about buying ex Steetley trucks

Barry/Gloves

My Dad,Bill Mabbott drove for Deniffs on a mixer in the 1960,s before moving to South Killingholme and working out of their Manby Rd,Immingham plant,
I,m going over to see him next week and i,ll see if he,s got any old pics i can post up.

My Dads on the right with his truck.

740MICK:
My Dads on the right with his truck.

I remember Alan S Denniff getting 3 axled Foden units for 32 t running in 1968.They used to run to a sand pit at Doddington near Lincoln amongst other places,and I had many a lift with them from Worksop to where they turned off the A57 before Saxilby; I was in RAF at Scampton at the time.

Chris,my Dads still got Sheffield newspaper pages from the 60,s showing full page adverts for Deniffs with their new plant in Sheffield and one with an advert with all the new Fodens pictured,he,s also got one where he is on the front page after his 6 wheeler lost both back axles in Sheffield in 1961.