Steetley tippers

Stanfield:
Another oldie which I have already added to the Steetley/Redland/Lafarge thread on the photo forum0

That’s a grand old photo John,I wonder if that Octopus “PURRS” like the reg number. :smiley:

Not a tipper this time.photo from transportphotos.com/road/photos
JS00843-02.jpg
JS00843-18.jpg

is that a donkey engine mounted in front of the drum ■■ Never had much to do with mixers, I just assumed they were all PTO driven ■■

scabinacab:
is that a donkey engine mounted in front of the drum ■■ Never had much to do with mixers, I just assumed they were all PTO driven ■■

Yes, usually a Ford 4D though other’s were used. The weight penalty was the downside.

Pete.

Hiya i think you’ll find at one time all mixers had a second engine, the lorry engine only had enough power
drag the lorry along.the second engine was for the barrel.in later years theres been plenty of power for
the lorry and the mixer.also some contracts was written up as the driver(usually owner) of the chassis.
the concrete firm owned the rest…these could be change from chassis to chassis quite easley.

scabinacab:
Excellent !

Many thanks to all that replied, some interesting comments about Steetley & the “ET” reg plates. I think my chances of finding my old one are pretty slim now, spent quite some time doing various google searches, only to come up with the same pics over & again.

No big deal, it would have been good to see the old beast but I have the pic of 515 & aside from the reg & fleet number it’s identical.

Shame i havn’t got any pics of 516 when I had it !!

thanks again chaps :slight_smile:

Always happy to oblige! :wink:

Well done Bonkey (that could even be scabinacab driving aswell)

Fantastic !!! where did you get that ■■ i have spent hour upon hour searching for old Steetley pics but never found one of 516 !

Strangely enough, i was “twiddling” again last night & looked on this thread, but before you posted it. first i knew was a pm this morning alerting me.

Thanks guys (not me driving, i was only 23 when we bought it). The fella in the seat looks like a tall lad, which adds up as 516 had a “repair” to the headlining above the drivers seat.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Bump.

image.jpg

These two photos were taken at the brickworks in Upholland in the mid 80’s. The Leyland Roadtrain was based at Upholland. The driver’s name was Ronnie Cunliffe, that’s him In front of the wagon. I don’t know who the driver of the Foden was, or where the vehicle was based but it looks like a Leeds reg. Not that that’s any indication of where it would have been based as I think all the motors came through Shireoaks anyway.

A few more here from transportphotos.com/road/photos unfortunatly not tippers though sorry

JS00280-10.jpg
JS00843-01.jpg
VS02112.jpg
VS02112.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpgSame two motors as before, same location, Ravenhead, just a different viewpoint.

image.jpgNot tippers I know, but Steetley motors all the same. I think this was taken in the Telford / Wellington area as I believe that’s the Wrekin in the background.

Eddie Heaton:
01Same two motors as before, same location, Ravenhead, just a different viewpoint.

Great couple of pictures ,nice Don bur bodies ,those sheets on the body great 80’s look .

scabinacab:
Funny what turns up on this interweb thingy :slight_smile:

Doing my usual “rounds” looking through stuff on trucknet & found a mention of Steetley.

I did a search for “Steetley Foden” & found this pic. it’s the sister to the last truck my Dad bought for me when i worked for him (about 1983). I sprayed it in his yard, with my better half Donna doing the finishing touches painting the ladders with a brush !

Pic shows AET515T mine was AET516T a “proper lorry” according to my old Dad, 201 gardner engine & 12 speed foden box :slight_smile:

Anybody know where it might have worked from ? We got it from a CV dealer in Barnsley, they had quite a few Steetley trucks and some X reg F7’s in green & red (forget the name).

it was bought from us by an OD from leicester area I think, in early '85.
Evening all ,looking at this photo of the foden i think it was taken in Kilnsey quarry near grassington in north yorkshire ,we used to load out of there for marshalls at southowram ,to load dust you drew across the sylo at the bottom of the quarry and then go up the steps onto the gantry shown in the photo and load yourself all guess work and no elf and safety ,good old days .Cheer,s Richard.
shame there’s not more steetley pics around, would love to find one of my old beast.

BonkeyDollocks:

scabinacab:
Excellent !

Many thanks to all that replied, some interesting comments about Steetley & the “ET” reg plates. I think my chances of finding my old one are pretty slim now, spent quite some time doing various google searches, only to come up with the same pics over & again.

No big deal, it would have been good to see the old beast but I have the pic of 515 & aside from the reg & fleet number it’s identical.

Shame i havn’t got any pics of 516 when I had it !!

thanks again chaps :slight_smile:

Always happy to oblige! :wink:

Few from my collection. Got a little confusing in late 80’s when photo’ing repainted Steetley trucks with Redland ‘cabs’ and Steetly mixer drums!!!

Some of the photos from your kneck of the woods - Dowlow

Barry/Gloves

image.jpgInternal view of the Steetley workshop at Chesterton.1983.

image.jpgThese two sheds were a pair of Chesterton cast offs that ended up at Ravenhead. The vehicle to the rear, ( mine ) had suspension so rigid, you had all on to keep the load from disintegrating under the nets. I had to slow down to 40 mph on the 25 mile or so rough section of the M5 near Taunton , or run the risk of arriving on site with a pile of rubble. Add to that the fact that the accelerator pedal was designed so that it could only held to the floor by someone with a club foot. Either that or have your ankle surgically broken and reset at a different angle. Farewell Foden, you will be fondly remembered… Not!

you were lucky eddie , i had one with a hydraulic throttle . the pressure needed to keep it down was ridiculous , and to make it worse the pedal was worn smooth , finished up bolting a wooden wedge on it to make it manageable . dave

The fodens look like they have those monolex wheels on .