Speeding ticket

Nearly right!

The requirement is that the notice be served on the registered keeper within 14 days. If it was sent by 1st class post then it is deemed to have been served on the second business day after the day it was posted (unless proved otherwise). With intervening weekends and bank holidays, it may need to be sent quite a bit earlier than 14 days in order to be legally served within the prescribed timeframe.
[/quote]
+1
my solicitor examined 1 of them for me a while ago and said the same thing…they deem 2 days in the post to be served.

discoman:

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:
rip it up, and bin it, not received. Lol :grimacing: it took four months to get to you, I’m sure you can delay it too. :grimacing:

Stupid dumbass advice. If you do that then it’ll go to court anyway and you’ll get a conviction in your absence. You’ll then get an order to surrender your license to get the points added and they’re likely to be more points than if you’d replied.

Says the bloke who can’t even spell licence. What you fail to mention is if the driver pleads his guilt to the offence which he has admitted he can ask to opt for a speed awareness course if he has not been convicted or attended one before.

Give the full facts

No he won’t, you can only get a speed awareness course if you admit the offence within a few weeks of the offence. 4 weeks i think.

Rowley010:
Yeah it’s too long. What date has the letter got on it?

I’d contact them and point out that the offence was on x date and the letter was dated x date so therefore if they wish to proceed then you wish to take it to court, where it will get thrown out because they are not complying with the rules. Most likely some admin error and once you point out the dates and the law then you will be ok.

Just don’t leave it and do nothing as that will just make it worse.

Apart from the final paragraph I’d ignore all this advice. The case will not be thrown out of court providing they have Sent / Served the NIP and name of driver form within 14 days from the time of the offence. If they can prove they have sent it then that is enough acceptable evidence that it is served.

Just because it’s been floating around the lease company / company secretary / TM offices for a few months doesn’t mean the case if over. Far from it, especially now it has found it’s way to the driver.

Think about it, Everyone would use that defence if it was a good one; “Yes your worships, that’s right, I never received the NIP therefore you can’t find me guilty!!!”

goshow:
No he won’t, you can only get a speed awareness course if you admit the offence within a few weeks of the offence. 4 weeks i think.

80 days (i.e. just over 11 weeks).

A speed awareness course can only be done once in any three year period, but not offered in Scotland.

Because of my ignorance I got a £900 fine, 6 points and my license revoked.
Take that as you will Op

Jeez that sounds harsh, what was your original offence?

discoman:

Conor:

Fatboy slimslow:
rip it up, and bin it, not received. Lol :grimacing: it took four months to get to you, I’m sure you can delay it too. :grimacing:

Stupid dumbass advice. If you do that then it’ll go to court anyway and you’ll get a conviction in your absence. You’ll then get an order to surrender your license to get the points added and they’re likely to be more points than if you’d replied.

Says the bloke who can’t even spell licence. What you fail to mention is if the driver pleads his guilt to the offence which he has admitted he can ask to opt for a speed awareness course if he has not been convicted or attended one before.

Give the full facts

You can’t ask to go on a speed awareness course, they either offer it providing you meet the criteria, I.e have not done one within the last 3 years or convicted of a speeding offence within the last 3 years, and are in the percentage range of the speed offence. In this case as it currently stands AFAIK from when I did mine last year. It’s the limit plus 10% +9mph from memory for Nottinghamshire Police and most forces are pretty similar although it can vary. So 40 plus 10% plus 9 mph equals up to 53mph for a speed awareness course to be offered and I think a lot of forces are now stopping the plus 10% plus 9mph and even speed awareness courses completely or are trying to.

So 48 would be within the acceptable limit to be offered a course but you have to admit to being the driver within 42 days of the offence in Nottinghamshire for example.

Also as has been said you do not need to receive a nip within 14 days at all, it has to have been posted within 14 days and that is all that is required. And that info came from a copper.

There is no legal timeframe as far as I know that they have to bring proceedings for a speeding offence before they can’t prosecute either.

Edited post to be more accurate after double checking the info.

mick.mh2racing:
Jeez that sounds harsh, what was your original offence?

Got an original speeding offence 46 in a 40.
Was moving house so sent paperwork off to change address on license etc
DVLA never received papers etc (my fault should’ve sent recorded)
Mate of mine said don’t worry about speeding offence if not heard owt which I did.
Old address kept getting letters of offence which I didn’t know about until we had a summons from court which was delt with without me hence the points and fine.
Then different to I’d had applied for my tacho renewal as it was running out and heard nothing so I had rung dvla to find out where new card was thus learning my licence had been revoked and had been for some time over the original matter and I had been driving illegally for some time not knowing all because of someone feeding me bull ■■■■ and me believing them!!!
So Op do the right thing come clean and get it sorted once and for all!!!

■■■■■■■ the info I found was you also have to admit the offence within 95 days of the offence. But it was a FOI request back in 2009. Generally the limit plus 10% plus 9mph is the maximum to be offered the conditional course.

But things can vary slightly depending upon which force area you are caught.

I got clocked doin 85 mph getting past 4 Romo trucks in Lincolnshire on the A1 in a car and got offered the speed awareness course, but had to pay twice as I was late for the first so had to book another ! :cry:

So it appears the deny knowledge of the original NIP method no longer works, I would still try it though having been successful in the past. You’re dealing with a civilian in an office, if you take the right approach it could still work, although if you get a jobsworth speed ■■■■ then you’ve got no chance.

Even if you get a knockback you’re only going to get the same points and fine as you would from responding to the first letter, so really you’ve nothing to lose and everything to gain. Now don’t take this as if I’m condoning everyone to belt around like a lunatic, I’m not, but 6mph over the limit and the associated points could have a huge impact on the life of a lorry driver, you may be unable to work at your current job or agency, your insurance could go up significantly and the fine itself could fill a trolley in Lidls.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

goshow:

Rowley010:
Yeah it’s too long. What date has the letter got on it?

I’d contact them and point out that the offence was on x date and the letter was dated x date so therefore if they wish to proceed then you wish to take it to court, where it will get thrown out because they are not complying with the rules. Most likely some admin error and once you point out the dates and the law then you will be ok.

Just don’t leave it and do nothing as that will just make it worse.

Apart from the final paragraph I’d ignore all this advice. The case will not be thrown out of court providing they have Sent / Served the NIP and name of driver form within 14 days from the time of the offence. If they can prove they have sent it then that is enough acceptable evidence that it is served.

Just because it’s been floating around the lease company / company secretary / TM offices for a few months doesn’t mean the case if over. Far from it, especially now it has found it’s way to the driver.

Think about it, Everyone would use that defence if it was a good one; “Yes your worships, that’s right, I never received the NIP therefore you can’t find me guilty!!!”

Why ignore it? That’s my point, if it’s been dated within the correct time then it’s all legit. That’s what I’m asking. If it’s not dated with the 14 days then that’s not what the rules say so you could get it thrown out at court. Trust me, I know a thing or 2 about this.