NIP.

Just received a NIP for 46mph on the A69 (s/c) near Hexham. My fault, no arguments from me I was speeding.

My question is though, the offence was dated 05/09/12 and I received the NIP today 10/11/12. Do I remember correctly that they have to notify the vehicle owner within 14 days and the driver within 28 days?

Or am I clutching at straws?

i’d like to know the full sp about this, my mate was flashed 3 weeks back in a 30 zone. but he’s not had anything yet.

How long the police have to issue a speeding notice.

The police must serve an NIP within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence, but there are some circumstances in which the notice will still stand even if it’s served later than this,
for example:
if extra time is needed for the police to act with ‘reasonable diligence’ to find out who the registered keeper is and how to contact them;
or if the delay was the driver’s fault, for example because they have not told the DVLA of a recent change of address.

Just out of interest what caught you a fixed camera or van?

IIRC they have 14 days to serve the notice on the registered keeper. If you can show it was posted too late to arrive in that time a court has to dismiss the case.

Were you driving your own motor or one registered to someone else? If it’s yours check the postmark on the envelope. If they posted it second class on the evening of the 13th day or first class on or after the 14th day you might have more than a straw to clutch at. If you weren’t the registered keeper your only hope is the the keeper kept the envelope the notice arrived in and made note of the date it arrived on.

the police have 14 days max to issue a NIP. but that is to the registered keeper, as long as they have first issued to the keeper within 14 days they can take upto 6months to notify the designated driver

merc0447:
Just out of interest what caught you a fixed camera or van?

Truth of it is it was the fixed camera westbound at the bottom of the hill. I knew it was there but had been vexed by the Scanny pushing me for miles a foot off my back doors. I figured with him being so close that it looked like my fridge had mirrors fitted to the back doors, that he’d cover my number plate as I tripped the camera!

Childish I know but I’m not looking for sympathy (not that I’d find any here :smiley: ) and I don’t have a problem with being caught for my heinous crime, however, I will wriggle out of it if I can. It’s been over 60 days since it happened which I think is too long.

Truck ownership can be complicated - especially with larger fleets. The truck could be owned by a manufacturer but have a trail leading to a finance house before the buck stops at your boss or yourself.
The police have to notify the registered keeper within 14 days, they then have 14 days to let the police know who the driver was. If they take the full 14 days then say ‘we lease it to Joe bloggs finance house’, the police then have to contact Joe bloggs finance, who then have another 14 days to say ‘we hired it to Fred Smith Haulage’, - so far we’re up to 6-8 weeks after the offence given each stage has up to 14 days before the information is passed.
The police then contact Fred Smith (your boss) who then has another 14 days or 28 days to notify the police they wish it to be dealt with at court. So just for the NIP to reach you can theoretically take up to 3 months.

Given the above, the time frame you state falls within the leagality of the ticket (if the above or similar is the case)

Thanks for the info peeps. Guess I’ll just have to bend over and spread 'em. Like I say I don’t have a problem with paying for my terrible actions, I’ve got no points at the moment, but £60 would buy me a healthy amount of Budweiser.

the maoster:
Thanks for the info peeps. Guess I’ll just have to bend over and spread 'em. Like I say I don’t have a problem with paying for my terrible actions, I’ve got no points at the moment, but £60 would buy me a healthy amount of Budweiser.

Then you would get a drink driving charge so they are saving you from yourself, be grateful :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

have they not offered you a speed awareness course?
i got done on the A1 last year doing 56 on the single bit north of newcastle. totally forgot about the camera.
it cost me £92 for the course with zero points.

lizard:

the maoster:

have they not offered you a speed awareness course?
i got done on the A1 last year doing 56 on the single bit north of newcastle. totally forgot about the camera.
it cost me £92 for the course with zero points.

Hopefully this ^ as Northumbria do have the speed awareness course so will keep your licence clean

You can also chose when to do it they even run courses on a weekend

You’re all wrong.

The NIP has to be “actioned” within the 14 day period. It does not have to be “served” in any time limit. One of our drivers received his 6 months after the offence.

anisboy:
You’re all wrong.
The NIP has to be “actioned” within the 14 day period. It does not have to be “served” in any time limit. One of our drivers received his 6 months after the offence.

You sure about that:

motordefenceteam.co.uk/notic … tAod6CcArQ

bluenose:

anisboy:
You’re all wrong.

You sure about that:

motordefenceteam.co.uk/notic … tAod6CcArQ

Yes, it says it quite clearly in the NIP. I would scan mine form 2005 but its in storage. Pretty sure its in the small print bit under the t&c’s bit.

Found this, though the wording isn’t quite the same to my recollection;

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and the ISSUE date on the Notice of Intended Prosecution is more than 14 days after the offence, then you can reject it. This only applies if it is dated more than 14 days after the alleged offence. It does not apply if it is dated within 14 days but received more than 14 days after the offence.

46 in a 40 does mean a speed awareness course if the Police force/area have signed up to them. I did one a little while back for 36 in a 30. £85 and no points.
Cheers
Paul

anisboy:
You’re all wrong.

No - You’re wrong. The legal requirement (as set out in S1(1) Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, as amended) is that the notice be served on the registered keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. The Act then goes on to say that

“A notice required by this section to be served on any person may be served on that person–
(a)by delivering it to him;
(b)by addressing it to him and leaving it at his last known address; or
(c)by sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post addressed to him at his last known address”

There is no legal requirement for further notices to be sent to vehicle hirers, named drivers further down the chain etc (although they almost always are).

Roymondo:

anisboy:
You’re all wrong.

No - You’re wrong. The legal requirement (as set out in S1(1) Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, as amended) is that the notice be served on the registered keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. The Act then goes on to say that

“A notice required by this section to be served on any person may be served on that person–
(a)by delivering it to him;
(b)by addressing it to him and leaving it at his last known address; or
(c)by sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post addressed to him at his last known address”

There is no legal requirement for further notices to be sent to vehicle hirers, named drivers further down the chain etc (although they almost always are).

I accept the word served is used, however the when it comes to small print, whether it is served on the registered keeper or not is not the important bit and won’t stand up in court. In other words, they have themselves covered either way.

If your trailer plate is mounted on the offside and Mr Tailgater was close, I don’t think the camera image would be of any use to plod.

What with the road markings etc perhaps partially obscured as well.

Anyway, if tailgater didn’t have anybody behind him, nick-nick!