Some people need to chill out

Pat Hasler:

mrginge:
Do you mean you catch up going up the hill but they are faster going down the hill and on the flat, maybe you should chill out if you don’t think you will get past them before the top of the hill stay behind :wink:

I drive a liquid tanker over here in the US of A, the tank is 45 feet long with no baffles, as I driver up and down the hills on Route 22A in Vermont I often get tossers moaning at me on the CB “Why are you doing 55 to 65 mph down hills and leaving us behind then crawling up hills and slowing down to 45 mph ?”
“Duh, are you people completely stupid ? It weighs 40 tons, it goes down hill faster than it does up them”
What non tanker drivers do not realise is that when I am going up hill the weight goes to the rear and takes it off the drive tyres, going down hills the weight moves to the drives.

Pat, it weighs 80,000lbs, that’s 36.3tons, stop exaggerating [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

truckyboy:
when i was on iso tanks ( food grade ) they behaved exactly as Pat said…so as i was trundling up a massive hill on the A37 from A303 ( i think ) i lost traction as the Juice flowed to the back of the tank

Meanwhile out west where they have the proper hills and haul proper weights. :wink: :smiley:

oppermansales.com/uploads/E-150 … 7aa844.jpg

Going with cruse set at 52ish auto limiter at 55 ish, up down and on level then on some hills the bloody thing powers down due to someone in Brussels hugging trees and being concerned about the future. But I’m hourly paid and don’t pay for fuel.

good_friend:
Hi Pat (and the other experienced tanker drivers on here)

Never driven tankers so sorry if this is a daft question

Don’t you have baffles to stop that happening or have I completely misunderstood what they are for? I assumed it was for cornering as well but happy if you (more knowledgeable lot) tell me where I am wrong

Hi good_friend,

Baffles are very good at controlling longitudinal surge ( surge during acceleration/braking), but they don’t usually do anything for lateral surge, hence the need to get the speed right before taking a bend/corner.

Pat Hasler:
What non tanker drivers do not realise is that when I am going up hill the weight goes to the rear and takes it off the drive tyres, going down hills the weight moves to the drives.

I don’t drive a tanker and I get it! But it doesn’t have an effect on uphill speed unless its icy, when it can cause loss of traction, obviously dependent on the amount of ullage in the tank, if its brimming then the slop will be negligible, if it’s half full, it will be horrible, viscosity of the product will also have an impact too, WD40 would slip around a lot more than molasses for example.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

dieseldave:

good_friend:
Hi Pat (and the other experienced tanker drivers on here)

Never driven tankers so sorry if this is a daft question

Don’t you have baffles to stop that happening or have I completely misunderstood what they are for? I assumed it was for cornering as well but happy if you (more knowledgeable lot) tell me where I am wrong

Hi good_friend,

Baffles are very good at controlling longitudinal surge ( surge during acceleration/braking), but they don’t usually do anything for lateral surge, hence the need to get the speed right before taking a bend/corner.

Absolutely correct. I drove petrol tankers on and off for several years. Great job and very well paid however cornering can be a problem if you drive like a ■■■■. ( which I don’t ) )
Personally I found the smaller ones worse than the artics probably due to difference in height and COG.
Nice rocking effect if you have to stop suddenly although you tend not to notice it after a while.

I agree with you,i have noticed a rise in other HGVs doing around the 50mph mark,soon as you get level and are going past they speed up to 56mph,and these are fellow HGV class 1 drivers,they seem to like pxxxxxg you off by keeping you in the outside lane,i usually give them the coffee shake and pull back in behind,i will not give them the satisfaction of letting cars build up behind me,they really are idiots

Speedo set at 52/53 all day here. You aren’t getting anywhere quicker then me by doing 2/3 mph more simple [emoji23][emoji23]

What about those 2 ats you pull into lane 2 for, purely to let them join the M.way from a slip road,.and rather than let you get past them (as EVERY other trucker used to do a few years ago as a matter of routine) they speed up and either leave you running along side them or, fully undertake you to leave you hanging like a spare prick.
A ■■■■ in a red and white Scania reefer done it to me on the M74 just this morning. :smiling_imp:

Those twunts are almost as bad as the cut in overtakers…drivers and steerers.

robroy:
What about those 2 ats you pull into lane 2 for, purely to let them join the M.way from a slip road,.and rather than let you get past them (as EVERY other trucker used to do a few years ago as a matter of routine) they speed up and either leave you running along side them or, fully undertake you to leave you hanging like a spare prick.
A ■■■■ in a red and white Scania reefer done it to me on the M74 just this morning. :smiling_imp:

What’s the issue here? Why not simply drop a couple of clicks on the CC and pull in behind? Or is there some sort of pecking order thing going on…?

Roymondo:

robroy:

What’s the issue here? Why not simply drop a couple of clicks on the CC and pull in behind? Or is there some sort of pecking order thing going on…?

No issue mate, don’t know about you but if somebody lets me out on the Mway, …and call me old fashioned here, but I was always ‘‘brought up on the road’’ to let them get passed me, being that they were good enough to pull out in the first place.
I know there aint much of it left nowadays, but it’s called courtesy and manners and ■■■■ all to do with pecking order.
Don’t know how long you’ve been at the job, but it’s what we all done once over before the ‘‘■■■■ you it’s everyman for himself’’ crew ■■■■ ed the situation up.

So it is indeed a “pecking order” thing. Thanks for confirming. Thought I might have been missing something obvious.

robroy:
if somebody lets me out on the Mway, …and call me old fashioned here, but I was always ‘‘brought up on the road’’ to let them get passed me, being that they were good enough to pull out in the first place.
I know there aint much of it left nowadays, but it’s called courtesy and manners

^ This.

It was always the merging driver who would back off after entering lane 1 to allow the other to return to lane 1.Just as should be expected.There was also the example of being flashed out to overtake a slower vehicle but then not taking the ■■■■ by staying out to overtake something much further ahead running at a much closer speed differential.

Roymondo:
So it is indeed a “pecking order” thing. Thanks for confirming. Thought I might have been missing something obvious.

No it’s a thanks for doing a favour thing. :unamused:

Roymondo:

You’re welcome, but how you define ‘pecking order’ is obviously different to the way I do.

Roymondo:

No its called courtesy.
However modern Britons are fast becoming self centred obnoxious pratts.

Thank God. I thought I was the only one left. The merging thing is another pet hate of mine.

I suppose like most things nowadays manners and common courtesy are lacking. The last firm I was with we had a team of 12 drivers men and women. Average age prob about 40. We all worked together and helped each other out. Job was enjoyable. Got taken over by big company average age about 30 and every man for himself.

Modern times

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
Thank God. I thought I was the only one left. The merging thing is another pet hate of mine.

I suppose like most things nowadays manners and common courtesy are lacking. The last firm I was with we had a team of 12 drivers men and women. Average age prob about 40. We all worked together and helped each other out. Job was enjoyable. Got taken over by big company average age about 30 and every man for himself.

Modern times

Some on here have never known this, but there was once an unwritten code and type of mutual understanding among drivers.
You could virtually guarantee that another trucker would let you in, let you out at junctions, flash you in after overtake, flash you out to allow you to overtake.
Never leave you hanging after letting them in lane 1, never cut in on you, and be generally courteous towards each other with empathy.

I aint got my rosy specs on here either, it did happen 98% of the time EVERY day…fact, and it was not THAT long ago either.

Then the goalposts were moved where being a complete brainless, clueless, discourteous, prick no longer ‘disqualified’ you from being a Class 1 holder, so we now have to endure the car drivers with truck licences …instead of pro truck drivers.

These ■■■■ s went on to increase and have gradually and virtually shagged the whole situation up for the remaining pro drivers.

If you think I’m talking through my arse, then just read some of the comments and attitudes on this forum to see what I’m droning and rambling on about. :smiley: :bulb:

Here endeth The Trucking social history lesson. :laughing:

robroy:

P Stoff:

Modern times

Some on here have never known this, but there was once an unwritten code and type of mutual understanding among drivers.
You could virtually guarantee that another trucker would let you in, let you out at junctions, flash you in after overtake, flash you out to allow you to overtake.
Never leave you hanging after letting them in lane 1, never cut in on you, and be generally courteous towards each other with empathy.

I aint got my rosy specs on here either, it did happen 98% of the time EVERY day…fact, and it was not THAT long ago either.

Then the goalposts were moved where being a complete brainless, clueless, discourteous, prick no longer ‘disqualified’ you from being a Class 1 holder, so we now have to endure the car drivers with truck licences …instead of pro truck drivers.

These [zb] s went on to increase and have gradually and virtually shagged the whole situation up for the remaining pro drivers.

If you think I’m talking through my arse, then just read some of the comments and attitudes on this forum to see what I’m droning and rambling on about. :smiley: :bulb:

Here endeth The Trucking social history lesson. :laughing:

Absolutely spot on there robroy, I can vouch for every word you say. Professionalism seems to have gone down the tubes in recent years when it comes to drivers.