just passed

passed my test few weeks ago second time.i actually got 1 minor 1 serious first time.anyway i was wondering is it a big difference driving laden vehicle to unladen.i’m thinking it just goes to 1,2,3 ,4 low then highg gears ect or is it just depending on load.

Hi ya

congrats on the pass

yes there is a difference but just take it easy and you can feel the truck and how it is handling just dont take corners too fast :wink:

all the best

Jen x

Welcome to the mad house yep defo a difference put please try not to pull away in 1st it also depends how much weight is on & how it it loaded evenly distributed

Congratulations on your recent pass jason1471, you’ll feel a difference when loaded & like the girls say take your time an get used to how the truck handles, & leave yourself plenty of time to slow up for junctions (dont forget the weight can push you forward, as well as altering how she handles on bends etc :exclamation: ). :smiley:

thanks for all the replies very helpful .cheers j

Congratulations.

I see you have attracted our girls, so I will be the first fella :smiley: :smiley:

The only advice I will give has already been said, bonnie lass is 100% correct. don’t rush and give yourself plenty of thinking time.

All the best

Rick

Hi all;

I am 49 years old with a clean licence and live in West Sussex

After bailing out of my city job, which I have hated for years, I have recently passed my class C test with 2 minor faults at the second attempt (cocked up the first one with nerves!). I am shortly to begin C+E and hopefully will get through that ok, but watch this space.

My problem is the “first job vs experience” issue. I have a lot of mixed driving experience both in the uk and between uk and france/spain in vans and trucks up to 3.5t doing self employed small removals, and also spent a busy Xmas a couple of years ago doing multi drop for HDNL in Crawley (sussex) in stretch hi-top transits and similar. I have driven small tippers and scaffold trucks whist doing building work and have also mini-cabbed on occasion. I have very good customer facing and interpersonal skills after a career in sales/the city/hospitality but despite all this, I am getting nowhere fast with agencies.

Can anybody tell me if i’d be better off sending my cv out to employers direct rather than talking to agencies, as the agencies i’ve come across are by and large not really inerested in newbies so far as i can see.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul

Its a combination of things mate, send your CV but register with as many agencies as you can. You will be in the same boat when you pass your class one. A lot of it depends on your attitude in my book. People that want to work 10-15 minutes away from home, top paying salaries etc when you have just started all hinder your chances of getting a start, being flexiable helps. Pick up work where you can with the class II stuff, the odd day here or there. Night work as well as weekends and bank holidays all give you more of a chance if you’re prepared to work them say so when you register.

If you have to take the rubbish do it because you have to look at this long term, things wont always be that you have the crappy end of the stick. Most people on this site have had to ■■■■ it up at some point. What sorts the men out from the boys (and girls) are those that can take it on the chin and just get on with it.

There IS work out there esp now the xmas stuff is coming in, get busy and go out and find it, finding a job sometimes is a job in itself, get cracking and best of luck.

Matt

Thanks very much for the advice Matt, much appreciated. I have said to agencies that I am prepared to work up to 60 miles/2 hrs from home and would actually prefer nights and weekends to days.I will just have to keep plugging away I guess. Drafting another new CV now.
Cheers,
Paul.