another newbie

I’ve just booked a back to back lgv training course. I’ve recently passed my theory test. My cat c training starts on the 26th of july with my test the following tuesday.I’m looking forward to getting in the truck I’ve driven 7.5 tonners before is their much difference? The gearboxes sound complicated.
Reading about other drivers experiences and advice on trucknet is very helpful. I just wish i’d found this forum before i booked with clearstone :blush:

Welcome Trickyjack!

Good luck with you training and test!
Keep us updated with your progress!
I personally really enjoy reading these kind of posts.
Don’t worry about the gear-box thing it will fall into place.
Don’t know what to say about the Clearstone thing as I passed my HGV’s elsewhere but certainly the feeling seems to be negative here…Can you change your mind about them or is it to late?

Good Luck
And don’t forget lots of progrees posts!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your comments devon, I’ll keep you posted on my progress.As for clearstone I can’t fault them so far myself but some of the negative comments i’ve read on here worried me slightly. My current employer has paid part of the cost of my training as part of my redundancy package so that covered the extra cost any way.Ahh well we live and learn .

trickyjack:
I’ve driven 7.5 tonners before is their much difference?

Personally I find LGV’s easier to drive than 7.5 tonners due to their better stability although I hadn’t really driven them until after I passed my class C.

Good luck with the training :smiley:

I’ve driven 7.5 tonners before is their much difference?

If you drive a 10 or 12t then the difference is not really noticeable as they are basically the same. Quite a few schools use these, as they are a little less daunting.

A lot of schools use full size 18t vehicles which can be a bit intimidating because of their size.

Once you start getting into 6 & * wheelers (26t / 32t) things are quite a bit different from a 7.5t

As for the gears, there are all sorts of types but the most common ones are fairly straigh forward.

trickyjack,

Good luck with the training.

I’ve had no contact with Clearstone & I’ve read the ‘bad press’.

Clearstone seem to ‘sub-contract’ their training to local training companies.

The only reason I can comment on this with authority is because… my ‘fellow student’ with whom I trained with (with a private training company) had booked with clearstone.

He paid £1500 and I paid £900 - we both passed 1st time… a massive credit/thank-you to Paul at Shaws LGV Training, Dronsfield. Very highly recommended!!!

However, my pal (former ‘fellow student’!) had paid for 2 extra tests with training included.

If he had have failed… clearstone would have paid for extra training & 2 more tests. I think he had a 2 day Tacho course included as well.

Clearstone promise help with finding work etc. I can’t comment on this as I don’t know anyone who’s got to that stage.

That’s my view, hope it helps… it’s based on limited experience - but that’s what this site is all about.

Drive safe,

Cheers…

Thanks for the comments & info stonesman,8wheels,mrpj & devon.
stonesman you are correct if I fail either the cat c or c+e test I get two extra training days + two more tests included in the price, also a 2 day fastrack course including tachograph training & drivers rules & regulations.
Thanks again, will keep you posted.

First good luck trickyjack.
The main difference between driving a 7.5 tonner & an HGV during driver training is that you are learning how to drive to pass a test.
Most driving instruction vehicles are basic & simple so don’t get too worried about gearbox’s etc.
I was working as a Bus driver at the time I got around to taking my Class 1 & had held my class 2 & PSV (& trailer) for several years. But just like you & everyone else I still had to learn how to drive the vehicle to pass that test.
So just try to enjoy it, we have all been there & have all managed to pass so there is hope for you.
If we can do it so can you.

Well tommorow the fun starts, its my first day of cat c training and i’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a truck. I dont start until midday is that common? Anyway i’ll keep you posted on my progress :smiley:

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your training :smiley:

I decided to go with Clearstone, then pulled out at the last minute, reason was basically that I got the impression I was being backed into a corner, and once I had said I wanted to go ahead, they seemed pretty aggressive at trying to get my money asap (which was £1400 total, including the course on tacho they offer).

I am now with a local Training company, they only charge £750 + £50 for tacho course, they want NO money up front, just pay for lessons as I take them. The only cash they needed up front was my test fee. AND if I go on to do the C+E (which I intend to do), it is only £499, instead of another £1100 with Clearstone. If you go on to C+E, I would certainly consider approaching someone else, if just for reasons of cost. Thats the sum total of my knowledge of Clearstone, I dont think the training is any less, I’m sure its pretty good, just didn’t like the “hard sell” (and the hiked-up prices)

All the best!!!

Steve

Don’t expect that you’ll be doing 8 hour days on your training, after about 4 hours you’ll probably be knackered and feel like you head will explode. Also expect to learn the location of butty wagons, they are often used as a break to give you some respite. Especially in this sort of heat.

I am sure most of us will agree that it is surprisingly demading when you start your training, no matter how good you thought you were on 7.5t. Bet you don’t look in the mirrors enough either.

But in the end the hard work is worth the effort, especially when you get you first drive on your own.

Hi trickyjack
can i ask you who you are doing your training with and once youve started can you pass your opinion of them. I’m in derby and am looking for an instructor but want some reccomendations 1st rather than just calling up cold from the phone book.
cheers and good luck

Day 1
after a nervy start clipping a couple of kerbs i soon got the hang of it. The gearbox is a six speed without a range changer so this was easy to use.
My instructor said i have to work on my positioning at islands more, I cant get used to not changing down until I’m almost on top of the island.He said the hardest part of his job is changing drivers bad habits and I’ve got a few of them. I don’t check my mirrors enough either, now where have i heard that before :laughing: I managed to nail the reversing exercise 1st time after being shown a trick by my instructor. Tommorow it’s controlled stop and gearchange exercise. Will keep you posted. :smiley:

trickyjack:
Tommorow it’s controlled stop and gearchange exercise :smiley:

Blimey, I do mine tomorrow - the day before my test… :open_mouth:

Jase check pms, hope this helps

Had a few pc problems yesterday so here go’s
day 2
My instructor says my general driving now is much better, i’m still not using mirrors enough also got a nasty habit of resting my foot on the clutch pedal when driving.The controlled stop was quite easy, I had mastered this after a few attempts.The gearchange exercise was a nightmare just couldn’t get the hang of it.Did it o.k once but didn’t check my mirrors enough.
day 3
Much better today nailed the gearchange exercise everytime,controlled stop again spot on, everything just seemed to come together. I only made one mistake steering round an island whilst changing gear.Very happy today :smiley:
I suppose I’ll go to pieces on monday then :laughing:

Day 4

Another good day today,everything went pretty smoothly. Just had a few problems with gear selection.Didn’t do any reversing today my instuctor said I didn’t need to.I’ve got a 1 hour lesson in the morning and then my test at 10.30 I just hope my nerves don’t get the better of me.
Will keep you posted :slight_smile:

I nailed my class c 1st time last week, Ive got the worst nerves in the world and was absolutely ■■■■■■■■ myself when waiting for my examiner to show at the test centre, but once Id done my reverse/brake exercise and got out onto the road I relaxed a bit and managed to put all of my concerntration on my driving, it went really quick and before I knew it we were back at the test centre and he was signing my pass certificate, hope it goes as wel for you.

As Ive said in other forums; I did mess my gear change exercise up completely but after asking I was given another go at the end of the test which fortionately went well.

I dont know whether youre entitled to a second go but its certainly worth asking if you think its gone wrong. I certainly will do if it goes Pete Tong again when Im doing my c+e.

Good luck.

all the very best for tomorrow trickyjack

wills

Thanks for the good luck messages Seanh and wills :slight_smile: