Got my first truck

Been given a not so shiny M reg scania 143 450. First impressions are it seems to pull well enough but you do have to work the gears quite a lot. And its drafty, but thankfully the heater works well.
today went well enough, just 2 stops at daventry and northampton with a load on the way home. No real dramas so quite pleased.

So far so good :sunglasses:

1 am start, changeover at tewkewsbury then 5 stops on the way home tomoro so its good night from me

Donā€™t knock it,folk have started in some sheds.Sounds like a steady number,good luck,keep the shiny side up!

bestbooties:
Donā€™t knock it,folk have started in some sheds.

Absolutely agreed bestbooties, Iā€™d be one of those people you mentioned :laughing:
The first wagon I drove after passing my test was a clapped out Ford ā€œDā€ series. :cry:
Then I was ā€œpromotedā€ to a clapped out Bedford TK. At least I could sleep in it :laughing:

having an old truck to start with is a blessing i think, it takes a lot of the stress out of still learning. The job is steady for the next 2 years as my gaffer paid for the licence upgrade and iā€™ve been told if i keep my act together iā€™ll get a volvo fh come the new year, only be a few years younger but still an all round improvement.

Feel a bit more confident today but its still taking me a good few shunts to get square on bays but thats just a practice thing

baracus:
Feel a bit more confident today but its still taking me a good few shunts to get square on bays but thats just a practice thing

I wouldnā€™t worry how many shunts it takes.
At your stage, Iā€™d say that avoiding hitting anything or damaging your truck is far more important.
The last thing you need is a reputation for hitting things, bosses donā€™t like it and nor do the insurers.
So, you end up with a reputation for being slow, steady and cautious-- big deal :exclamation:
IMHO, thatā€™s far better :wink:

give me a 143 to drive all day they are a good truck mate always get you home, keep the revs in the green v8ā€™s donā€™t like being raced. nurse the motor and itā€™ll give ya no problems