Struggling with speed!

Alright so obviously haven’t passed my test long at all, and I started my job on Monday, first day was induction, paperwork and all that jazz.

But since Tuesday I’ve been doing multidrop in my local area, and as of Monday I shall be doing distance.
My problem being I’m just not confident with driving at speed and I have no idea why? Everything else is bang on, manoeuvring in tight places no problem, reversing no problem, motorways no problem.
As soon as I get onto A roads, I just seem to loose my confidence and slow down way to much, and It’s putting me really far behind with my delivers. Slowing down for corners I know I shouldn’t need to slow down for. Apart from anything the lorry which I’m driving just doesn’t feel safe at all unless it’s going in a straight line. I’ve made sure everything is loaded correctly incase that was the problem, but It happens when I’m completely empty. Could this be to do with inexperience? and something that will come in time? I just don’t know and it’s starting to do my nut in.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Yes it will come with experience mate, and your paranoia is a good thing! :laughing:
I doubt that it’s making a lot of difference to your deliveries, and I really wouldn’t worry about as I can relate to it… :blush:
And I’m sure if your boss saw your post, they would be reassured and happy that you might be a few minutes behind, rather than layed on your side somewhere! :laughing:

Chill out, stop stressing about it, pull over to let traffic past when you can, and just watch the world go by! :sunglasses:

As above, if you were driving for me, or towards me, I’d be much more happy that you were erring on the side of caution, rather than tooling around trying to learn the ropes.

It’ll come in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You feel a lot more “sway” in a truck to due to being higher up. Sometimes it feels faster or more unstable than it is.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When I first started, the second I saw another truck coming towards me my grip on the wheel or what ever else I was holding :blush: would tighten along with my ring… I’d be thinking “is there enough room?”, “Will we hit mirrors?”, “Will they know I’m a Newbie?”, “Will I have to clean this seat? :open_mouth:”. I’d like to think it was normal, and suspect it is, it’s probably just that some will admit it and some won’t… Cornering speed was also something I was paranoid about, but at the same time I rationalised that if I took it slower than was possible nothing would go wrong, but taking it faster than possible was a whole different story… :laughing: I also considered that out of my whole day, the amount of time I spent buggering about doing other things, the odd minute or seconds i could save by driving faster wasn’t worth a bean…

Hope that helps, this can of Stella is! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
When I first started, the second I saw another truck coming towards me my grip on the wheel or what ever else I was holding :blush: would tighten along with my ring… I’d be thinking “is there enough room?”, “Will we hit mirrors?”, “Will they know I’m a Newbie?”, “Will I have to clean this seat? :open_mouth:”. I’d like to think it was normal, and suspect it is, it’s probably just that some will admit it and some won’t… Cornering speed was also something I was paranoid about, but at the same time I rationalised that if I took it slower than was possible nothing would go wrong, but taking it faster than possible was a whole different story… :laughing: I also considered that out of my whole day, the amount of time I spent buggering about doing other things, the odd minute or seconds i could save by driving faster wasn’t worth a bean…

Hope that helps, this can of Stella is! :smiley:

Exactly this, I’m a few months in and am much more confident now which I’m sure you will be. When you spend so many hours driving your judgement will naturally improve without you realising, no point rushing and putting yourself and others in danger just to make a few minutes up.

Cheers lads, you’ve made me feel much more at ease.
I’ve got a run up to Newcastle at 4 in the morning, never been up that way and looking forward to the nice straight long motorways haha!

Best taking it easy as others say, incident and accident free driving, returning the truck in the same condition it was when you started etc. The confidence and speed will come.

When I started this hgv malarkey, it was 40 on singles, 50 on duals and our motors were limited to 52 anyway. Mind numbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will come in time just remember 50 on a A road is only a limit, not a target :wink:

I remember my first day 8/9 years ago in a old iveco I went home and sat down on the throne and still felt asif I was rocking about all over the place :open_mouth:

go and get a job working for tesco,and become a rolling roadblock like the rest of them that work for those places…problem solved :slight_smile:

or…give mcgeowen a call and tell him your available,thatl cure you or kill you…apparantly there might be a vacancy just arisen there… :slight_smile:

‘slowing down on corners’,OP? :astonished:

put your foot down on corners mate,like the rest of us :laughing:

That description of the lorry not feeling right unless in a straight line describes well the feeling that a brand new set of drive axle tyres can feel like till they’ve bedded in (bedded in is an odd term for the period before the releasing agent has been scrubbed from the tread), which on lorry tyres can be up to 5000 miles.

That same sensation was described perfectly by one of my mates, his words ‘‘like driving a plate of spagetti’’.

So if the lorry, artic especially gives you the feeling that the arse end is trying to overtake the front, then first of all look at the drive axle tyres, if they are brand spanking new then they might just need a while to bed in.

Other reasons can be the fifth wheel in the wrong place, usually too far forward, so the trailer is pushing the tractor sideways amidships as it were on corners, though if you think the fifth wheel might be in the wrong spot but arn’t sure then worth asking one of the more approachable old hands you work with for advice, all lorries of different makes and types respond differently to such adjustments.
Some vehicle configurations also lead to this unstable feeling, modern car transporters in particular, most of which are actually a standard tractor unit as the prime mover but the towing hitch is behind the drive axle instead of just in front, plus the trailer doesn’t usually impose much weight onto the towing hitch, plus the trailer weighs more than the prime mover, the sum total of which results in a vehicle which needs to be drive with respact, and a new set of drive axle tyres on one of these is an experience you don’t enjoy much.

Course it might be none of the above, just getting the feel for a completely different way of driving.

The posters above are quite right, it isn’t a race, no prizes for wrapping the thing round a tree, much better to learn at your own pace.

Juddian:
That description of the lorry not feeling right unless in a straight line describes well the feeling that a brand new set of drive axle tyres can feel like till they’ve bedded in (bedded in is an odd term for the period before the releasing agent has been scrubbed from the tread), which on lorry tyres can be up to 5000 miles.

That same sensation was described perfectly by one of my mates, his words ‘‘like driving a plate of spagetti’’.

So if the lorry, artic especially gives you the feeling that the arse end is trying to overtake the front, then first of all look at the drive axle tyres, if they are brand spanking new then they might just need a while to bed in.

Other reasons can be the fifth wheel in the wrong place, usually too far forward, so the trailer is pushing the tractor sideways amidships as it were on corners, though if you think the fifth wheel might be in the wrong spot but arn’t sure then worth asking one of the more approachable old hands you work with for advice, all lorries of different makes and types respond differently to such adjustments.
Some vehicle configurations also lead to this unstable feeling, modern car transporters in particular, most of which are actually a standard tractor unit as the prime mover but the towing hitch is behind the drive axle instead of just in front, plus the trailer doesn’t usually impose much weight onto the towing hitch, plus the trailer weighs more than the prime mover, the sum total of which results in a vehicle which needs to be drive with respact, and a new set of drive axle tyres on one of these is an experience you don’t enjoy much.

Course it might be none of the above, just getting the feel for a completely different way of driving.

The posters above are quite right, it isn’t a race, no prizes for wrapping the thing round a tree, much better to learn at your own pace.

well you’ve impressed me with your knowledge !!!

Wasn’t trying to impress anyone Ergot so sorry if it came over like that to anyone, just letting any of the new lads know there’s a whole different world out there in lorryland in how vehicles handle, and the same vehicle can change like chalk to cheese just by a change of make or type of tyre fitment…let alone what i alluded to in the previous post when you pick a different trailer type, or have a load put on that weighted differently or worse light at the headboard and heavy at the arse end…which in a van or container you might not know till you get out on the road and feel it…always worth having a look at your tyres, they can give you a good idea where the weight is sitting.

The problem now for the new drivers is that up to a point the modern stability traction and other driver aids damp some of the minor slips and deviations out, where years ago there was no ABS no TC or ASR, no power steering if it comes to that, you as a new lorry driver very soon came to drive by the seat of your pants.

Lorry tyres have in many cases very poor wet grip, if you turned everything off including ABS and power steering and removed the load sensing brake proportioning valves you would find in short order that in the wet you are driving a very skittish vehicle that could step out of line very easily, thats the sort of vehicles i and other old hands started with, we very quickly learned to respect that lack of grip and learned to read the road, surface camber signs of damp and especially kept an eye open for signs of fuel spillage on wet roads which reveal themselves through that rainbow pattern reflection as oil sits on water.

In many ways its now worse for the new driver, because in the modern vehicle the driver is insulated from the road, you can’t hear the tyres like you once could, you can’t feel whats happening at the road through power steering.
Slight slips, even slips that would have once seen the tractor go sideways now the vehicle usually controls for you.
Every new driver of an artic is going to see the TC light flicker up when accelerating empty in the wet, that wheelspin can still be happening right up to and including top gear on a seemingly good wet surface, that alone if you keep an eye on it will prove to any of you just how little grip there can be in the wet, now in pre TC/ASR days the slightest wheelspin of both wheels will have seen the arse step sideways out of line, again you would have heard the wheels spinning years ago but sound deadening has reached fantastic levels so you sometimes won’t know its happening.

Don’t rely on these new vehicles doing it all right though, the TC/ASR triggering to stop this doesn’t always work as effectively as it could when just one wheel spins up…and if one wheel only is spinning up the vehicle won’t step out of line because the other wheel will keep it straight (you can use this phenomenon to dig you out of snow where sometimes a diff lock won’t help because it sends you sideways)…so by the time both wheels have started to spin up and the TC/ASR cuts in the drive axle is already starting to slip sideways, trust me this is a thoroughly unpleasant sensation and it can very soon get out of hand even with the new systems.

The biggy is you can’t defeat the laws of physics and once a modern lorry lets go completely it might be completely irrecoverable and only ends when something solid stops the slide.

I’m not saying us older drivers are any better, far from it, the difference for us is that we might have detected the light sensation through that seat of pants feel before it could have got to such a stage.

Basically what i’m trying in my usual long winded way to say is that all these new stability systems are great, but the good driver learns to control the vehicle themselves and not let it get to the point that the vehicle itself has to interfere.

I’m not going to to get into the latest gimmick, the new auto braking features that is…i have several bags of popcorn here waiting to see what happens in a few years when the number of euro 6 lorries with this (IMO troubling) fitment is in high proportion to the number of non equipped vehicles on the road, when we have a serious winter again and we’re all trundling along at 25/30mph on black ice and compressed snow just trying to keep the bloody wheels turning without sliding into the ditch and then every now and again these auto brake systems decide to chuck the anchors on because they’ve sensed something that wasn’t in the least of concern…what could possibly go wrong :unamused:

Excellent post Juddian. Long enough to explain what is happening and why, without going off on the rant some of us are guilty of. (Moi??)

Quality as always Juddian, highly educational…

However we were trying to build the OP’s confidence? :wink:
and now I’m ■■■■■■■■ myself! :open_mouth:

And I do agree, the trailer we have that I mentioned on the main forum that has an overly sensitive stability control is not going to be fun when things get cold and icy, and I expect more likely to cause an issue than save you from one. :cry:

Oh i can rant to an Olympic standard Franglais, Arsetronic anyone? :imp: :smiling_imp:

Do you know summat Evil, i don’t know if i’ve ever driven a trailer with this roll stability control auto braking you mention, and if i have unless i triggered it how would i know even it was fitted?

One of my mates, a bloke same age as me and started same time as me who i’ve worked with before some 30 years ago and has a very similar work record, had the auto braking engage for no reason at all in a posh village last week…both sides of the road are cars parked herringbone pattern, obviously cars have grown to stupid sizes over the last 20 years (whilst being no larger inside :unamused: ) so many are overhanging the bays to varying degrees so its a steady and winding procession at the best of times, as you approach the market place there is a set of bollards in the middle of the road and he’s had to go round the last car sticking out and then bring it in to clear the bollards, at that very point the lorry decides it has to brake for some unknown reason and stops dead :open_mouth: , nearly stuffing him in the screen and lets hope those behind and the startled pedestrians recover soon eh? brilliant this safety stuff :unamused: :unamused:

Oh yes, forgot, i had the misfortune to use a euro 6 Daf last week (Jesus wept), one run we do is across a winding B road with a continuous white line along most of the nearside for long stretches, the bloody lane departure buzzer was going almost continually long the road, if you didn’t run on the white line you’d hit every vehicle coming the other way…oh joy.

Juddian:
Do you know summat Evil, i don’t know if i’ve ever driven a trailer with this roll stability control auto braking you mention, and if i have unless i triggered it how would i know even it was fitted?

Ours have this sticker on them mate.

Also when you active it, for a split second (and I mean a split second) it flashes up on that dashboard what the stability control has cut in…
This is on a 2013 DAF CF, and I’ve yet to have the misfortune of driving a Euro 6. Some of our other depots have them though and at some point we’ll be getting those DAF CF’s passed on to us, I’m not even looking forward to it… :cry: We’ve got a couple of oldish Renault Premiums as well at present, and I prefer them in every way except for the retarder.

Like you say though, we will wait and see whether this ‘aids’ are actually really aids…
As for your lane departure system going off all the time, can’t you turn your hearing aid down mate? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I struggled with speed once in Leeds. Got some in a pub and nearly burnt my nostrils out. Rather than bin it i dropped the rest in a glass of coke. Spent the next hour chucking up. Think it might have been aspirin.

Regarding driving. Don’t worry about speed, it will get easier. Dint be scared of juddian the killer clown, he talks sense!

I find new steer tyres hideous to drive on. They squirm all over the place, especially off road tread ones.

Another thing is of the fifth wheel is dry it will affect the handling. Not sure if juddian mentioned that. Just my observation.

Good luck.