Snow Chain Requirements

New byelaw in Slovakia from 20th Nov 2009 (few changes)

1. Snow chains compulsory for goods vehicles >12t, for at least one of vehicle’s driving axles, between 15th Nov and 31st Mar (new thing). Recommended for others as traffic sign can require you to use them (no change).
  2. the way it’s worded and I understand is that the chains must be fitted to all wheel of the driving axle. However, most people only carry a pair and get away with it.
  3. fines have gone up recently and are now paid in euros (which the country’s currency now). 67 is the min fine you can be given (but can be cut to half under certain conditions)

Winter tyres have to be on when driving on snow or ice. (=summer tyres on snow: stop and wait. or let the police fine you and tow you away)
Min tread depth on winter tyres is 3mm (new thing, as opposed to 1.6mm on summer ones).
Winter tyres can have one level lower speed rating - in this case a reminding sticker/note with tyres’ max speed has to be placed into driver’s field of vision. And the speed cannot be exceeded. (also new thing)

Hello anyone. My name is Gary and I am in the US. I happened onto this website and thought I would say hello to drivers in the UK. I have an interest in this which I will explain later. The first thing on my mind is that I was looking through various posts here and seen some talking about warning fellow drivers of police. Don’t drivers in the UK use CB Radios?

Gary794:
Hello anyone. My name is Gary and I am in the US. I happened onto this website and thought I would say hello to drivers in the UK. I have an interest in this which I will explain later. The first thing on my mind is that I was looking through various posts here and seen some talking about warning fellow drivers of police. Don’t drivers in the UK use CB Radios?

Hardly Gary, the airwaves are just full of kids or annoying twonks who live in council housing estates and ask people who or where they are. The uk used CB radios after Convoy was a box office hit :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to haul to Norway, does anyone one know who goes there that I can Subbie for?

JonnyRage:
I would love to haul to Norway, does anyone one know who goes there that I can Subbie for?

i live in Ã…ndalsnes,6hours drive north-west from Olso…never seen an GB company :cry:

try looking around brevik docks theres a cold ■■■■■■ off welsh man whos been working out of the dock for 2months for a uk company driving a uk reg truck and tanker delivering natural gas coming in from uk weekly.lovely country but very exspensive looking forward to flying out monday as temp been given is -12?

Martin Benjamins:

JonnyRage:

i live in Ã…ndalsnes,6hours drive north-west from Olso…never seen an GB company :cry:

Early this year I had a load of paper to deliver. The drops where :-
1 about 1:30 drive south of Orleans. (Can’t remember what the town is called now)
2 Grenoble
3 Nice
4 Milan.

We don’t have snow-chains in the yard anymore (assuming we used to). I was given two long lengths of chain (for loads of steel). The boss told me to use the snow curtains if things got that bad, but if I was asked for them, I could show these two bundles of chain. If I got caught out and stuck, they would get me out of trouble but, obviously, only as a last ditch effort :laughing: .

JonnyRage:

We do, but sprinters only.

As for original topic: are these regulations the same for small vans (<3.5t DMC)?

hitch:
i have a new pair of snow chains that are for sale 07866 035 062

Which Make,for which Dimension and whats the Price?

orys:

JonnyRage:

We do, but sprinters only.

As for original topic: are these regulations the same for small vans (<3.5t DMC)?

__FLUCKINGER__in Tyrol
Good Pay,14 Times a Year when employed in Austria
Had always Volvo Artics
Only Hard Worker and good Driver employed by that Company.

Brilliant informative thread, spend most of my time trucking round all corners of Europe and sometimes beyond, thought I was aware of the various requirements…obviously not! Thanks for doing the research, more than helpful.
Ps you can’t always pull the snow curtains, sometimes you’ve got to help yourself.

brit pete:
Sweden Tyre tread 3mm Min

was changed to 5mm minimum last year for all tyres, truck and trailer

cheers thanks for the update

hi, when i done italy in the 80s , we had to carry snow chains oct to march ,but iam one of the old retired ones , so things could have changed