Snapped by camera van in Scotland

Mazzer2:

TommyTanker:

Mazzer2:

ItsJoe:
Exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles will always get you a court summons when driving a goods vehicle professionally. The culpability is much higher than in a car. I suggest OP consults an actual solicitor instead of armchair ones.

No it won’t you have two examples where people have put their speed and punishment and neither of us has gone to court, over the years have been done for speeding 3 times on the A75 each time was 10mph over the limit £60 and 3 points on each occassion

That isn’t something I#d be broadcasting myself…

3 times over 20 years hardly puts me in Fred West’s league of criminality

True enough, sorry, you didn’t specify the time period other than “over the years”, that is actually as long as I have been working, so fair play.
Tommy.

ItsJoe:
Exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles will always get you a court summons when driving a goods vehicle professionally. The culpability is much higher than in a car. I suggest OP consults an actual solicitor instead of armchair ones.

You posted this earlier …
‘‘Almost certain you’re going to be getting a court summons. At a minimum you’re going to be getting a hefty fine, points and a suspension. I don’t know what you could use as mitigation, you’ve just made a mistake and need to admit & deal with the consequences.’’

Kettle, saucepan. black …

elniniol999:
Got a letter today with my details asking to confirm I was driving the vehicle.

States camera recorded a speed of 54mph on a single carriageway national speed 40mph limit.

Given this is in Scotland and it was an artic, I’m wondering what the potential consequences may be?

Also, incident took place on 28th September and letter only arrived today. Would it be worthwhile tracing back via company fleet department and then in turn vehicle hirer to find out when the initial NIP was dated or just face the inevitable?

Well as a Scottish driver you should know better. Equivalent to doing 67mph on a dc or 81mph on a m-way.

I do appreciate that TS (Transport Scotland) are still in the Stone Age with the draconian 40/50/60 truck limits but up here that is the law. Why break it?

I think that its £60.00 and 3 points,dont keep us in suspense.Tell us how it pans out.

£100 fine and 3 points for 50 on a Scottish single carriageway a couple of months back from Dumfries and Galloway police (long straight section of the A76 south of Thornhill).

Not aware of any special rules regarding HGV offences and mandatory court summons. They already mitigate against the fact you’re driving an HGV by having lower speed limits.

There is the argument of “how come it’s ok in England and on the A9 but not comparable roads elsewhere in Scotland” which is all well and good but the rules are the rules and any attempt to argue against them or challenge it will probably just get you a stiffer punishment.

OOh your in trouble, forget the points and fine, you`ll be summoned to spend the night with Nicola Sturgeon in a locked hotel room :smiley:

dowahdiddyman:
OOh your in trouble, forget the points and fine, you`ll be summoned to spend the night with Nicola Sturgeon in a locked hotel room :smiley:

I would.
I’ve done worse.

ItsJoe:

No, it won’t.

That was for doing 51 mph on the A9 north of Inverness in a truck. It was dealt with by a fixed penalty and no further action from a court or Traffic Commissioner.

chaversdad:
How would it stand if you did go to court in Scotland and they argued it was irresponsible to drive at 50 mph on a single carriageway? Surely the fact its legal in England and Wales throws the dangerous /careless driving argument out the window, i probably havent put that across very well but you get what i mean

You wouldn’t be prosecuted for careless or dangerous driving, unless the police witnessed other factors, it would simply be an offence of exceeding a statutory speed limit, and that is whatever the law says it is, irrespective of whether you agree with it or not.

Do those log wagons drivers realise it’s still 40 up there and 50 (apart from the A9) like it is in England, or do they all just know where the vans park? Because I guarantee if you stick to 40 and no more a log wagon or tipper will be 2 inches away from you and trying to bully you into pulling over and let them by. One overtook me when I was doing 40 on a single carriageway.

Mazzer2:

ItsJoe:

No it won’t you have two examples where people have put their speed and punishment and neither of us has gone to court, over the years have been done for speeding 3 times on the A75 each time was 10mph over the limit £60 and 3 points on each occassion

+1
same for me over the years.
though to be fair,i did get another one a few years ago for 67 ish in a 40 at c.d .at which point i used my irish licence and took a £150 fine with the points waiting for me in swansea as in their wisdom they decided it was a careless driving due to being more than half on top of the limit.( telling them i lived in eire and wouldnt be coming to court didnt do me any favours though it was quids in as to going to the bother of appearing)
they must have seen us going downhill at twynholm but couldnt see the reg.followed us to cd,and long before they overtook any of us we knew they were there,and had slowed to exactly 40.
4 vehicles on the road on the middle of the country at midnight on a sunday…all doing the same speed.never got stopped,the big car just overtook us 1 by 1 and the nip followed.dirty tactics and totally illegal,but who could be bothered with the expense of fighting it.
so itl be a fine and points…no sweat,no greif,no tea and biscuits :slight_smile:

Rowley010:
Do those log wagons drivers realise it’s still 40 up there and 50 (apart from the A9) like it is in England, or do they all just know where the vans park? Because I guarantee if you stick to 40 and no more a log wagon or tipper will be 2 inches away from you and trying to bully you into pulling over and let them by. One overtook me when I was doing 40 on a single carriageway.

^^^
Totally concur with this from Rowley.

When I’ve used the A75 from M6 to Dumfries, I’ve tried my darnedest to stick to 40 mph, I don’t want a fine or points on my ticket.

But it appears that all the loggers, reefers and Irish are immune to the Scottish laws and provoke you into going faster.

Now believe me, I agree that 50 is perfectly safe on a single carriage way, but should I risk my ticket just to please a few ferry catchers??

It’s time some serious common sense was applied bro this single carriage way issue.

I’ve had wagons on my rear end and flashing me and have been overtaken in the most ridiculous ways imaginable.

Is this practice acceptable?

No, and there were no kittens or puppies squashed, but plenty of deer and badgers were!

i know its a crazy idea,but you could always consider puling over and letting us past asap?
missing a boat by 1 min can completely cost you a nights sleep,or all sorts of associated greif.
even if your on the limiter,then if theres someone at your back,just let them pass and save your mirrors.
2 or 3 running together,will just let the front man use the cb to say when the roads clear whether you can see it or not.
best to be flat to the mat,or just get out of the way.
makes for an easier life all round.

Butcher:

Rowley010:

^^^
Totally concur with this from Rowley.

When I’ve used the A75 from M6 to Dumfries, I’ve tried my darnedest to stick to 40 mph, I don’t want a fine or points on my ticket.

But it appears that all the loggers, reefers and Irish are immune to the Scottish laws and provoke you into going faster.

Now believe me, I agree that 50 is perfectly safe on a single carriage way, but should I risk my ticket just to please a few ferry catchers??

It’s time some serious common sense was applied bro this single carriage way issue.

I’ve had wagons on my rear end and flashing me and have been overtaken in the most ridiculous ways imaginable.

Is this practice acceptable?

No, and there were no kittens or puppies squashed, but plenty of deer and badgers were!

If you’re doing 40 on the 75 most will pass you myself included I wouldn’t flash you out the way though that’s unnecessary. You’ll always get a flash on the 75 if there’s any baddies hiding round the next bend us regulars will keep you right.

Seeing as the Scottish law makers love ASC’s I’m surprised there aren’t any on the 75, would improve the coffers greatly but would do the Irish economy great harm ! (sorry guv, I missed the boat !! :cry: )

raymundo:
Seeing as the Scottish law makers love ASC’s I’m surprised there aren’t any on the 75, would improve the coffers greatly but would do the Irish economy great harm ! (sorry guv, I missed the boat !! :cry: )

They’ll rarely miss the boat. Once that ‘must make the boat button’ has been actuated (especially the likes of Tarringtons) theres no stopping them… :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

dieseldog999:
i know its a crazy idea,but you could always consider puling over and letting us past asap?
missing a boat by 1 min can completely cost you a nights sleep,or all sorts of associated greif.
even if your on the limiter,then if theres someone at your back,just let them pass and save your mirrors.
2 or 3 running together,will just let the front man use the cb to say when the roads clear whether you can see it or not.

If I’m behind one doing 50mph I’ll happily tag along behind him at the same speed.

My concern is when I’m up front I don’t want to run at 50 and I won’t.

Secondly, so I’m tagging someone doing a nice safe 50 mpg, and there is still a reefer or an Irish who is coming past at any cost.

And, I’m not installing a CB just to keep the speed merchants and tear arsers happy!

Butcher:

dieseldog999:

If I’m behind one doing 50mph I’ll happily tag along behind him at the same speed.

My concern is when I’m up front I don’t want to run at 50 and I won’t.

Secondly, so I’m tagging someone doing a nice safe 50 mpg, and there is still a reefer or an Irish who is coming past at any cost.

And, I’m not installing a CB just to keep the speed merchants and tear arsers happy!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
50 isnt doing anyone any favours.its not exactly being leader of the pack and #1 bush shaker.
just be courteous and get out of the way asap.
if you had a cb,all you would hear is gtf out of the road cos you would be holding everyone up.
the ones running for the boats will be using the front dude to tell them when they can pull out to overtake on blind bends ect.
if your only going to be doing 50 then you wouldnt want to be playing at that.

raymundo:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
they have had the poles for the avarage cameras lying in stranraer and dumfries for the last 10 years and wont put them up as it would cost the d&g cops far too much of a loss in revenue compared to 97 miles of entrapment they currently use.
they could put up 6 or 8 cameras over certain sections of the road,and completely wipe out speeding overnight from at least 80 miles of the A 75,but they wont as they can currently screw far more revenue from the boat traffic on a 24/7 basis