Smart Motorway Cameras? Do they work?

Mazzer2:
Generally nothing happens if you are on foreign plates. DVLA are happy to sell your information to all and sundry yet other countries seem to be a bit more careful as to who they give their citizens information to. As an example go through the M50 toll in Dublin in UK registered vehicle without paying and you will get a bill through the post, go through a speed camera in the UK in an Irish registered vehicle and nothing will happen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
theres no barriers,no info to alert you to go and find the nearest spar shop to pay your toll,you never entered any form of prior contract with the m50 toll so they sell your reg to a debt collection agency in the uk who send the normal type of mega prosecution if fine not paid type letters,but they have no legislation to enforce a civil action from another foreign country as they are just a uk debt agency.
every time i go through in a uk reg then i usually get 3 or 4 for a few months,then nothing.
dunno if it works across the board,but ive always just ignored till they vanish.

biggriffin:
The non UK registered motors that trip the cameras go onto a data base which the police and dvsa have access to,if the truck pings the database when passing, it comes up as unpaid fine outstanding, driver is pulled, and the rest is up to the powers that be.

But they won’t have Scooby who the driver was that was speeding,so short of fining the company these nothing else they can do

tommy t:

biggriffin:
The non UK registered motors that trip the cameras go onto a data base which the police and dvsa have access to,if the truck pings the database when passing, it comes up as unpaid fine outstanding, driver is pulled, and the rest is up to the powers that be.

But they won’t have Scooby who the driver was that was speeding,so short of fining the company these nothing else they can do

The vehicle gets impounded, till the fine is paid, as the vehicle has a marker on it.

Rob K:

peirre:
On the 1st morning when they switched on the ones on the M62 around Leeds, they where flashing like a disco strobe :laughing:

The old HADECS2 ones above the lanes are long dead on the M62 around Leeds and haven’t worked for years. The new HADECS3 ones (the ones sat on a tray at the side of the gantry) do work and have a ~10% tolerance including enforcing NSL if no temporary limit shown :astonished: . But there are only 5 sets on the M62 (3 westbound, 2 eastbound) and once you know they are you can blitz through them at any speed of your choosing, regardless of what temporary limit may be set on the gantries in between. :smiley: I speak from experience that you’re safe to go past the HADECS3 ones at an indicated 80mph (probably an actual speed of around 75) if no temp limit is shown and the gantries where there aren’t any HADECS3 ones you can do any speed you like past them without fear of a ticket, temp limit or no temp limit :smiley: .

The 5 sets on the M62 are :

Westbound :

Eastbound :

The M1 around Wakefield has them attached to the single matrix display boards as well (northbound just before J41).

Absolutely not true because I got done between 27 and 28 eastbound. 50 in a 40 as mentioned above

Magicmikew:
Absolutely not true because I got done between 27 and 28 eastbound. 50 in a 40 as mentioned above

Why don’t you try reading what I wrote before making replies to me?

I remember about an article that hidden speed camera near Stroud. Police didn’t bother if you go 31.5 mph or less in a 30 zone. That means 5% over the limit is surely okay. GPS based speeds,not speedo. If you do 84km/h at roadworks (50mph), you still within the 5%.

I’m always worried if they change just as you approach them and you don’t have time to slow down,what happens then.

Sploom:
I’m always worried if they change just as you approach them and you don’t have time to slow down,what happens then.

Another one that can’t be bothered to read what’s written on the screen.

Rob K:

Sploom:

Another one that can’t be bothered to read what’s written on the screen.

My wife went to a speed seminar to do with her job and she was told by Avon & Somerset police camera partnership that it’s 1 minute and also the 10% rule is discretionary depending on which county you’re in and some do as little as 5%.

Rob K:

Magicmikew:

Sorry, I did but didn’t check my own post because I actually got done between 26 and 27.

Magicmikew:

Rob K:

Magicmikew:

Sorry, I did but didn’t check my own post because I actually got done between 26 and 27.

No, you didn’t read my post because if you had then you wouldn’t be claiming what I’d written is “absolutely not true”. :unamused:

Saw one last night on the M1 just before the roadworks at Milton Keynes go off, nabbed a flash looking Range Rover or something like that. So yes, they do work.

My daughter got nabbed by the one near Cribbs Causeway Bristol she was going 67 but the gantry was flashing 50, but she was naive because although it was late at night and she had the road to herself for some unknown reason it was showing 50.

Rob K:

trevHCS:
Side ones are easiest to spot by lookong out gor the cameras just before them, usually a bank of 3. No idea what they do but always seem to accompany these yellow side cameras.

They also need to turn down the flash on the side ones or angle it better as its way too bright at night for the traffic on the other carriageway. Gave me a shock in truck other day when speeding car passed me and there was a flash behind me (I was doing 50 with no temp limit).

Wouldnt rely on the above lane ones not working on the M1 - seen them flash a few times in past couple of years when temp limits are on, but not always.

The 3 cams about 200 yards before them are synchronised with the cameras that nab you for speeding. They take a photo of the gantry and the speed limit displayed so that you can’t argue it was displaying a different limit. There is (iirc) a 30 second delay from when a temporary limit is first displayed until the speed enforcement commences. I read it somewhere in the camera system specs I found online - possibly Siemens but could be mistaken, but there is a delay before they start enforcing the limit, I know that much. :smiley:

The 3 cameras are there primarily to show that the matrix is readable. On previous systems if so little as one bulb in the matrix failed the system automatically defaulted to no enforcement. Now lots of bulbs can fail so long as the sign is still shown to be readable and the till keeps getting fed.

It always makes me laugh how the vehicles that have actuall set off the camera - are the ones that brake AFTER the flash, but not those coming up behind…!

“The wise - learn from the mistakes of others, the fool - can’t even learn from their own.”