'Average speed' cameras

Rumours i’ve heard:

They are dummy cameras with led’s to make them look real.
If they are real, they only check the times occasionally.
Lane dependant. Change lanes and you’re ok.

Effects i’ve seen:

Drivers braking hard as they pass a camera. (That’s so dumb. Time is the factor, not speed.)
Drivers speeding passed the first camera, then slowing to a crawl before the next. It works of course.

Finally a question:

I’ve not yet heard of anyone prosecuted. Have you?

YEP 100s on the M1 near to J21 a few years ago - now got same set on M69 - THEY ARE FOR REAL :slight_smile:

PS works magic on M69 - all drivers get to about 50 at start. stay at 50 and do not speed up too early near the end either

i read some where not long after m1 r/works started the number of tickets issued for the bit as u come off M25 M1 north.

it was a huge amount though cannot give exact figures.

so they must work…

The French have had these for years on the peages. It clocks your reg when you leave one, and times how long it takes you to get to the next one. Because the system knows the exact distance, your average speed is worked out and if you’re over, you get done!

My remedy…drive like the wind, stop at a service area and have a brew, then drive like the wind again! :wink: …or just do the speed limit (which is what I actually do!)

206doorman:
Rumours i’ve heard:

Apparently this is true, this comes from a friend in the know :wink:

Rumour i heard was that if the speed limit is 30mph and your average speed is 30mph and someone is monitoring that camera, it gives off the big tone and gives a print out, only for the person to be disapointed when he sees the average speed was good.
I heard it from a friend. Not sure how true it is though.

GerryT:

206doorman:
Rumours i’ve heard:

Apparently this is true, this comes from a friend in the know :wink:

WAS true - the new ones (if being used) are not lane dependant - from the bloke that designed them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - talk given by him to our local IAM group within last 18 months - sorry, cannot recall his name :blush:

The average speed cameras (specs, I think they call em) are software monitored (same tech as ANPR) and are time dependant, also the entry and exit cameras must be on the same circuit not necessarily the same lane, on multi lanes the cameras are usually set to:

Entry
cam 1 cam 2
lane 1 lane 2

Exit
cam 1 cam 2
lane1 lane 2

if your avg speed is too high and you enter in lane 1 and exit in lane 1 expect a NIP
However if you enter in lane 1 and speed and exit in lane 2 then no NIP can be sent as the law has no provision for you switching between camera circuits yet…
However the cameras can be set as follows,

Entry
cam 1 cam 2
lane 1 lane 2
Exit
cam 2 cam 1
lane1 lane 2

so in this scenario if you think changing lanes will avoid a NIP you’re wrong, however if you don’t switch lanes then your not. only those who set the cameras up know, or those that get done!

but why if they are set at 50 does everyone feel the need to go through at 45, i went through the M1 stretch with the cruise set at 50, passing everybody,and getting looks like i,d just comitted a murder when i had done absolutely nothing wrong :unamused:

chaversdad:
but why if they are set at 50 does everyone feel the need to go through at 45, i went through the M1 stretch with the cruise set at 50, passing everybody,and getting looks like i,d just comitted a murder when i had done absolutely nothing wrong :unamused:

Most car dials indecate they are doing 50 but are infact doing a lot less hence the pub rants of being able to do 150 mph in there 1.6 Ford Focus, its noticable in car’s with digi dashbord’s as they pass you, i have been passed by a new honda type r at 63 mph and he was just about passing me eg 1 or 2 mph faster so 56-57

its not just cars though, a lot of trucks are sat at about 45 and then when they see you coming up the outside they speed up to 50 and then just look at you, i,m not condoning speeding, but how many supermarket trolley drivers want to stick to 39.9mph on single carriageway then go straight to 56 when they hit the duel :unamused:
jt just annoys me that so called professional drivers really dont behave like one sometimes

sorry, rant over back to topic :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

206doorman:

we were discussing that yesterday i was going to ask the same question!!

so ROG, you know people who have actually been convicted by these cameras?

Do not be fooled by the urban myths now. Spec cameras had teething troubles but the software bods are way ahead. :wink:

Prosecutions :exclamation:

I know of a section near me who had them in four figures. :open_mouth:

In the same section an entry spec marked the speed of a driver who 200m later was involved in an RTC.

He got 4 years for death by dangerous. :smiley:

snafu:
Do not be fooled by the urban myths now. Spec cameras had teething troubles but the software bods are way ahead. :wink:

Prosecutions :exclamation:

I know of a section near me who had them in four figures. :open_mouth:

In the same section an entry spec marked the speed of a driver who 200m later was involved in an RTC.

I thought specs read the numberplate and logged time of entry into speed limit area, not the actual speed of the vehicle as it passes the camera?

Can anyone enlighten me?

snafu:

Where did you get this info from?

SPECS cameras which are what are being discussed here cannot determine the speed of a vehicle as it passes the camera so this story cannot be true. The only way they can work out the speed of the vehicle is to time it between 2 sets of cameras, usually at least a mile apart and work out the average speed. And as such it cannot determine what speed was done by the vehicle, it could’ve done 200mph for 100yards and 50 the rest of the way or 55 for the whole distance in a 50 limit.

so what happens with the cams on the a14 can they get us for exceeding our 50 mph limit down there or are they only set for cars?

206doorman:
]

When they were building the Southern M6/M6 toll junction a few years ago,there was a screen at the end of the roadworks giving the number of offenders caught speeding while work was ongoing.The last time I saw it before the work was finished,the total was over 20,000!

chaversdad:
its not just cars though, a lot of trucks are sat at about 45 and then when they see you coming up the outside they speed up to 50 and then just look at you, i,m not condoning speeding, but how many supermarket trolley drivers want to stick to 39.9mph on single carriageway then go straight to 56 when they hit the duel :unamused:
jt just annoys me that so called professional drivers really dont behave like one sometimes

sorry, rant over back to topic :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good rant mate, when did overtaking in a safe & controlled manner become a criminal offence :question: I was coming through the roadworks on the bottom of the M1, 50mph on the cruise, passing everything until some female ■■■ organ in a rental 18tonner doing 40mph gave 1 flash of the right indicator & pulled straight out on me, then sat parallel to the car in the inside lane until the roadworks ended, why :question:

steve07:
so what happens with the cams on the a14 can they get us for exceeding our 50 mph limit down there or are they only set for cars?

Yes round Cambridge, I was wondering about that. I stick to 50 with a few others but lots go past on the limit at 56 and more. Anybody been done.?

Cameras are set at ACOP guidelines so 50mph speed limit fixed penalty at 57mph and court summons at 76mph.

Plus as well speedo’s inaccurate so 56mph on the limiter more like 52-54mph.

I DON’T THINK SPECS cameras can tell the difference between HGV’s and cars, they prob could if they wanted them to. But would mean serious computer proccessing to check every numberplate doing over 50mph on a dual carriageway or every vehicle doing over 40mph on a single carriageway road. I see a lot of trucks on the A77 UK registared sitting on the limiter on single carriageway sections day in day out. So i’d guess they arent getting done for it because they would be banned by just now.

Ive heard lots of stuff about the SPECS cameras on the A77 which i aint gonna post from irish drivers espec but they seem to have a lot of flaws and supposedly there is ways to tell which ones are turned on or not.