Average speed cameras..........

Yes they do work.
After wondering what other drivers know that I don’t when they go through roadworks with a 50 limit on the motorway on the limiter, I don’t push my luck usually.
However, about three weeks ago I was going through the roadworks over the bridges at Kings Lynn, at 03.00 in the morning, I was the only truck on the road, lost concentration for a minute I guess, the speed limit is only 30mph.
The day before my birthday, get a NOIP through the post from Norwich plod, caught me doing 37mph.
I returned the admission the same day so they’d get it on my birthday.
A few days later, another letter giving me three choices, attend a speed awareness course, accept the 3 points and the fine, or go to court to plead my case!
Hmmmm, big decision to make here.
After much thought I decided to go for the speed awareness course, as it’s at Westport Lake visitor centre half a mile from home and it’s only £80, I hope I’ve made the right decision.

bestbooties:
I hope I’ve made the right decision.

I think you have.

What some drivers know that you might not have known is that all speed cameras have a margin of error. Obviously the higher the speed limit - the higher the margin, meaning 50mile an hour speed limit gives you 10% + 2 mph margin. That said at 50mph you could theoretically go 57 mph without getting caught. At 40 mph you can only do 46. But at 30, only 35.
I only “push it” with 50mph, although my truck is limited to 52 anyway.

Hope that helps, but dont hold me responsible for any tickets, it might just be an urban legend, but seems to work in my case.

I run at 55 on the A14 past Cambridge, and been passed by other trucks on there, and not heard of anyone getting done for speeding in that area.

weeto:
I run at 55 on the A14 past Cambridge, and been passed by other trucks on there, and not heard of anyone getting done for speeding in that area.

Ive always wondered, I drop down to 50 in that area & lots still fly by me, I don’t trust cameras:)

xxmitaxx:
What some drivers know that you might not have known is that all speed cameras have a margin of error. Obviously the higher the speed limit - the higher the margin, meaning 50mile an hour speed limit gives you 10% + 2 mph margin. That said at 50mph you could theoretically go 57 mph without getting caught. At 40 mph you can only do 46. But at 30, only 35.

Hope that helps, but dont hold me responsible for any tickets, it might just be an urban legend, but seems to work in my case.

Another armchair hero lawyer quoting the “GUIDELINES”

These do not have to be adhered to by the scamera partnerships or the police.

Also 10%+2MPH as you mentioned would see enforcement start at 46 in a 40 and 57 in a 50, not “you could theoretically go 57 mph without getting caught”

A camera van that manually marks offences would start enforcement at a lower speed.

weeto:

I have but by camera vans…

now, wheres that superstar badge gone? :smiley:

trubster:

weeto:

Up yours.

Save the drama for your momma.

xxmitaxx:

trubster:

weeto:

Up yours.

Save the drama for your momma.

Stop beating about the bush man! Say what you really think. :smiley:

Still beats me as to why anyone would choose to break the limits !

ROG:

I don’t think the op “chose” to ROG - he just lost concentration, took his eye off the ball

ROG:

people have got places to be, lives to live ROG.

yee hawww my van does 105mph and 18t 58mph :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

maga:

ROG:

Absolute rubbish.Some people break the law because they think it is ok.They think they know better and seem to treat speed limits as a joke.
Granted it is easy to lose concentation sometimes but to blatantly speed as a so called professional driver is one of the many reasons we have such a bad name.

Just yesterday out in my car in a 30 limit. Doing 30 as are the cars in front of me.
Look in my mirror and what do I see?
An artic about 6 feet from my back bumper.
Why? Because he is in a hurry and wants to go faster.
He has a place to be and a life to lead.
NO he is an impatient moron with no regard for anyones safety.

xxmitaxx:

No they have guidelines on the wall at grantham police station,the woman on the desk showed me it so it’s not a urban myth,but as I’d don’t 37 mph ( in my car I might add) it didn’t help me ,I got done in Waltham on the wolds by hand held cammera so those guidelines may not of applied as the offence came under Leicestershire and grantham cop station is in Lincolnshire

albion1971:

maga:

ROG:

Absolute rubbish.Some people break the law because they think it is ok.They think they know better and seem to treat speed limits as a joke.
Granted it is easy to lose concentation sometimes but to blatantly speed as a so called professional driver is one of the many reasons we have such a bad name.

Just yesterday out in my car in a 30 limit. Doing 30 as are the cars in front of me.

NO you and the other cars were in the way!!! :smiley:

albion1971:

maga:

ROG:

Where I live whatever speed limit you drive at the numpty behind has to overtake.

paid by the hour ■■
stick to the limit
get more pay…
and less chance of giving your hard earned away to a camera partnership.
simples.

Trukkertone:
paid by the hour ■■
stick to the limit
get more pay…
and less chance of giving your hard earned away to a camera partnership.
simples.

Sounds sensible and professional.

ADR 1:

ROG:

I don’t think the op “chose” to ROG - he just lost concentration, took his eye off the ball

That’s worse than choosing to break the limit

albion1971:

That reminds me, when there is a lane closure or 2 and traffic is going slow, why do truck drivers feel the need to tailgate the car in front, blasting on the horn as they pass us and waving their arms around like A. the driver will see as you are so close to his bum, B. that I can do anything and C. that I care.