Shocking!

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
Anybody else remember how we laughed when the Belgians had no Goverment for months?
Anyone else feeling jealous? [emoji3]

And if you’d lived somewhere that had no government for 3 years you’d soon realise that there was nothing to be jealous of, no pay rises for anyone paid by the government, no new infrastructure projects started, no decisions made on health or education, meanwhile the people who should have been making those decisions sitting at home on full pay, yep full on hilarity for the public.

A lot of UK civil servants will know about no, or ludicrously minimal, pay increases over the last few years. We managed that with a government. And when you speak of infrastructure, yes, we have the crazily expensive (and costs rising regularly) HS2 to pay for. Another great decision I feel we could have done without. Perhaps things might have gone better just letting the country bumble along…

Dipster:

Franglais:
So Johnson’s gov is alleged to have rewritten a report.
They have announced an inquiry into Cameron/Greensill and lobbying. It appears this is not to be a public inquiry. It won’t be a Parliamentary Committee with all the powers they would have.
Now Sir David King, ex chief scientist, has said this Gov ate using COVID to privatise the NHS by the back door and are a corrupt chumocracy.
amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 … -scientist
He contrasts the NHS success in delivering the vaccines, with the expensive fiasco of test.and.trace. He also mentions the political input into SAGE, free speech issues etc.

This government is good at reports. We had the report about the election and the Russians interference, if any. That did not seem to go anywhere. Now this race report that might well be a load of tosh written to suit BJ & Co. Any now we are promised one about possible shenanigans involving Dave and others. Are we full of confidence that it will be investigated and written to the highest standards of truthfulness and transparency? I am not so sure.

The report on the alleged bullying by Priti Patel showed up her faults didn’t it?
And so she honourably resigned.
Oh, my bad.
The Civil Servant, Alex Allen, overseeing the Johnson code of ethics (insert your own comment here) resigned instead.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
Anybody else remember how we laughed when the Belgians had no Goverment for months?

And if you’d lived somewhere that had no government for 3 years you’d soon realise that there was nothing to be jealous of, no pay rises for anyone paid by the government, no new infrastructure projects started, no decisions made on health or education, meanwhile the people who should have been making those decisions sitting at home on full pay, yep full on hilarity for the public.

I did insert a “smiley”…

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

I did insert a “smiley”…

Well when you’ve been on the receiving end of no government it takes more than a :smiley: for it to be funny

Dipster:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

A lot of UK civil servants will know about no, or ludicrously minimal, pay increases over the last few years. We managed that with a government. And when you speak of infrastructure, yes, we have the crazily expensive (and costs rising regularly) HS2 to pay for. Another great decision I feel we could have done without. Perhaps things might have gone better just letting the country bumble along…

Hardly the same, roads in disrepair vital projects not able to go ahead leading to unemployment and lay offs, students who qualified as health workers and teachers unable to get jobs. People leaving and not being replaced, people emigrating to get jobs when their skills are badly needed in N.I. not quite the same as HS2 or receiving a low pay rise.

Franglais:

Dipster:

Franglais:
So Johnson’s gov is alleged to have rewritten a report.
They have announced an inquiry into Cameron/Greensill and lobbying. It appears this is not to be a public inquiry. It won’t be a Parliamentary Committee with all the powers they would have.
Now Sir David King, ex chief scientist, has said this Gov ate using COVID to privatise the NHS by the back door and are a corrupt chumocracy.
amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 … -scientist
He contrasts the NHS success in delivering the vaccines, with the expensive fiasco of test.and.trace. He also mentions the political input into SAGE, free speech issues etc.

This government is good at reports. We had the report about the election and the Russians interference, if any. That did not seem to go anywhere. Now this race report that might well be a load of tosh written to suit BJ & Co. Any now we are promised one about possible shenanigans involving Dave and others. Are we full of confidence that it will be investigated and written to the highest standards of truthfulness and transparency? I am not so sure.

The report on the alleged bullying by Priti Patel showed up her faults didn’t it?
And so she honourably resigned.

Oh, my bad.
The Civil Servant, Alex Allen, overseeing the Johnson code of ethics (insert your own comment here) resigned instead.

Oh yes, I overlooked the bullying report on the Home Secretary! Gets better all the time, eh?

Mazzer2:

Dipster:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Hardly the same, roads in disrepair vital projects not able to go ahead leading to unemployment and lay offs, students who qualified as health workers and teachers unable to get jobs. People leaving and not being replaced, people emigrating to get jobs when their skills are badly needed in N.I. not quite the same as HS2 or receiving a low pay rise.

Roads in disrepair? Does the word “potholes” ring any bells?

Dipster:

[/quote]
[/quote]
I’m glad you find hilarity in it, I’m sure those who suffered during the politicians 3 year holiday will happily laugh along with you. I’m splitting my sides that decent teachers left my children’s schools to seek work elsewhere as they were watching their wages fall below those in GB, or that health outcomes dropped as health workers left and weren’t replaced as they were in the same position as teachers, it goes somewhat deeper than even the deepest of potholes.

Mazzer2:

Dipster:

[/quote]
I’m glad you find hilarity in it, I’m sure those who suffered during the politicians 3 year holiday will happily laugh along with you. I’m splitting my sides that decent teachers left my children’s schools to seek work elsewhere as they were watching their wages fall below those in GB, or that health outcomes dropped as health workers left and weren’t replaced as they were in the same position as teachers, it goes somewhat deeper than even the deepest of potholes.
[/quote]
I am not laughing at anybody, and did not wish to offend. I apologise if I did. I was trying to make the point that successive governments manage to make a pretty shoddy job of running the country whilst in power.

Dipster:
I am not laughing at anybody, and did not wish to offend. I apologise if I did. I was trying to make the point that successive governments manage to make a pretty shoddy job of running the country whilst in power.

Fair one, the point I was making is that no matter how bad a government is things still get done even if it is badly, but when there is no government nothing gets done and it is surprising how quickly things deteriorate, initially you think it won’t make much difference because in the main it is the civil servants who carry out the implementation of government policy, but nothing can be acted upon without a minister signing it off and in N.I the head civil servant was told that he would be acting outside of his remit if he authorised anything which meant that for 3 years absolutely nothing was done despite the money sitting there for pay rises and infrastructure projects etc.

Mazzer2:
And if you’d lived somewhere that had no government for 3 years you’d soon realise that there was nothing to be jealous of

To be fair I did raise the question of what replaced the Rhodesian and South African governments after they had been removed on grounds of ethnic ‘equality’.( Africa should be ruled by ethnic Africans not Dutch or Brit immigrants as I remember it ).That ended well. :wink: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

“The government has rejected Labour’s call for a full parliamentary inquiry into lobbying and the contacts between government and Greensill Capital”.

Another surprise there? I think not. And:

" “Labour says the government “cannot be trusted to mark their own homework on this” and accused the prime minister of “whipping his MPs to vote to cover up Conservative cronyism”.”

And I think I agree with that. But the government probably feel they mustn’t let any pesky interference with their chummy deals and with the majority that they have they will probably get away with another dodgy inqury.

Doesn’t matter what any enquiry finds anyway…
theguardian.com/media/2021/ … el-4-board
More jobs for “the chums” being found now.
And being in the media Win/Win!

Franglais:
Doesn’t matter what any enquiry finds anyway…
theguardian.com/media/2021/ … el-4-board
More jobs for “the chums” being found now.
And being in the media Win/Win!

It´s getting more and more like Trump´s way of “governing”!

JOB’S BOOM!
This morning on the PM Programme there were reports of Six different enquiries about the revolving door/Greensill/ poiticians/civil servants etc.
By the 6 O’clock News it was EIGHT enquiries.
A staggering 25% increase in just one day.

Give them a few more weeks and we can all quit driving and get work sitting on Boards Of Enquiry.

I don’t always agree with her, but I think Polly Toynbee has got it pretty much right here.
theguardian.com/commentisfr … -charities