Shipping out of and into Poole

And fond memories of Gina the driver’s lounge waitress on the Stena Love boat Southampton to Cherbourg and the two crazy American or Canadian old guys marshalling in Cherbourg.
Marie Noel or Ann Marie from P&O freight desk Cherbourg who had blue eyes, she did run a baby clothes shop in town the last time I was there.
If you can settle the argument of when you could run the coast road from Cherbourg then they put a weight limit in ?

I bet the Shell on the coast road lost a lot of business when they put the weight limit on , it was one of GBE,s favoured refuelling stations, I would guess the limit was put on in the mid 90,s

And those nice places with the crepes as you never slept properly on the ferry with three blokes snoring and ■■■■■■■ all night or come in late when the bar shut .
Come off the ship knackered and only start to wake up in the afternoon, so I would prefer to sleep in the truck and hide below deck behind the split cab curtain.

Yes, The creperie outside Rennes on the National with the gravel parking across the road.

That’s the one Kerbut, I think there was another one owned by a mother and daughter and the daughter had a neck brace on after crashing her car from being distracted by her car inside the car .
And that big Routiers by La Rochelle overlooking the bay and the Saucisse Volante flying sausage Routiers.

The Fish Restaurant at La Rochelle was Aire de Marin, near the Flying Sausage there was Lukes also

Tony the English guy who ran the garage at Claude’ s original restaurant at Saint Genis de Saintonage , unfortunately he did some porridge for the fuel pump tampering .Colin lived there and parked his truck in the village.

Tarmaceater:
Tony the English guy who ran the garage at Claude’ s original restaurant at Saint Genis de Saintonage , unfortunately he did some porridge for the fuel pump tampering .Colin lived there and parked his truck in the village.

Colin (Monty) is still there.

Colin’s motor was a white FH 12 Globetrotter, i stand to be corrected.

Tonys wife Pam worked in the bar with Annette, Chantel was a waitress and ended up with Ketty, she is due (if not already) to open a new restaurant in what was the forest (when it had trees) having sold the one she has further on before Bordeaux.

Tarmaceater:
Colin’s motor was a white FH 12 Globetrotter, i stand to be corrected.

If I remember…
White F12 written off with a Portuguese trailer broken down on N1? (Half on road, but turned lights off to save the battery!) Good for him it was LHD…
White FH12. Gas conversion. (Seemed a good idea at the time)
Now in a blue Renault.

kerbut:
The Fish Restaurant at La Rochelle was Aire de Marin, near the Flying Sausage there was Lukes also

Nigel your grey cells are dying the fish Resturaunt was near La Rochelle and Luke’s and the flying sausage were near Nantes.

Ok Geoff
That should have read, The Fish restaurant near La Rochelle was the Aire de Marin. Near the flying sausage was Lukes ( which I know is on the old road near Nantes airport )

kerbut:
Ok Geoff
That should have read, The Fish restaurant near La Rochelle was the Aire de Marin. Near the flying sausage was Lukes ( which I know is on the old road near Nantes airport )

That La Rochelle short-cut was a very useful route. Shame they shut it to lorries. There was a village routier stop at Marans, north of La Rochelle which offered a useful overnight facility. Here’s a picture I took there in 2002. (Mine was the white Eurostar!). I think it was called Le Point Du Jour on the RN 137. It was only a little place on the main street but it had quite a big parking area.

Was the one at the bottom of Marans (run by someone English ) where you parked in the supermarket parking or the Routier on the traffic lights at the top?

kerbut:
Was the one at the bottom of Marans (run by someone English ) where you parked in the supermarket parking or the Routier on the traffic lights at the top?

I think it was on the junction with the lights. It was 19 years ago I last went there!

That’s right Robert it was on the lights on the right when you were heading south, used to be a good meal. It is now a bakery.

Marans also had an “English Pub” didn’t it?
There was a sign or two:
“You are passing the XYZ Pub. Why?”
Think it was by the river?
There was also an “English Pub” in Bx.
The “Golden Apple” on (wait for it) Rue Pomme D’Or, near Quai Bacalan.

Franglais:
Marans also had an “English Pub” didn’t it?
There was a sign or two:
“You are passing the XYZ Pub. Why?”
Think it was by the river?
There was also an “English Pub” in Bx.
The “Golden Apple” on (wait for it) Rue Pomme D’Or, near Quai Bacalan.

Used it a few times, we use to park in the Supermarket car park just below it, not too bad but very English, I don’t think it lasted more than 3 years.

It is just before midnight at Poole, waiting to drive on to Truckline " Barfleur " early in 1998 in my 14ton Leyland DAF boxvan.
I was the last lorry to drive aboard, and if it had been slightly longer, I would have not done the overnight sailing to Cherbourg.
I think that I may have posted these pictures before, possibly on the Roll-On,Roll-Off Ferries thread. Click on pictures for better image.

Ray Smyth.