Scottish, Cumbrian & North East Timber Thread

[IMG]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/cambuslang/![](http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/cambuslang/Minishant252520011.jpg)-53_zps28a30308.jpg[/IMG]

ben walker:
[IMG]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/cambuslang/![](http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/cambuslang/Minishant252520011.jpg)-53_zps28a30308.jpg[/IMG]

Hello Ben

Excelent photos marra. Many thanks for them

Kindest regards
CG

Hi Dave these Watsons lads must cover a fair area on the timber work I got one last night in Sanquhar. Eddie.

Mustn’t forget this crowd (but I wish I could)

Another few timber men. Eddie.

erfguy:
Hi Dave these Watsons lads must cover a fair area on the timber work I got one last night in Sanquhar. Eddie.

Hello erfguy

Excelent photos marra.

I think Watsons do a lot for Jenkinsons, hauling timber down to Penrith for chipping

Kindest regards
CG

raymundo:

Mustn’t forget this crowd (but I wish I could)

Hello raymundo

Excelent photo marra. Many thanks for that

Kindest regards
CG

erfguy:
Another few timber men. Eddie.

Excelent photos Eddie. Many thanks again marra

Kindest regards
CG

Hello

Heres a few more from my own collection

Kindest regards
CG

erfguy:

Hi Eddie,
I have only seen that one down this way,but no doubt they get down to Chirk to the big Kronospan works. He had probably tipper there and was heading to get a load to get him back up your way.
Cheers Dave.

Its not just the Big Guns` that haul the timber ! :slight_smile:

When land was being prepared for the planting of future forests, the surrounding area needed to be fenced-off securely.
This is where the smaller-sized wagons were used to deliver the fencing posts and timbers.
We transported many thousand of these posts along newly-made tracks , - some of which were hardly fit for an
agricultural tractor to navigate.

This load, like all of them , were loaded by hand , and each fencing post was counted individually.
No mechanical timber grabs/loaders were used, and this made sure that each post sat tight during the journey.
Perhaps a little time-consuming ,…but similar in pride to roping & sheeting, ( as per Bewick, etc. ).
Maybe VOSA might not approve of this stacking method . :unamused:

The photograph was taken around 1973 , and the load of about 1,400 posts and other timbers would be heading
to the plantation boundaries under construction in the Wensleydale area .

cattle wagon man:
Its not just the Big Guns` that haul the timber ! :slight_smile:

When land was being prepared for the planting of future forests, the surrounding area needed to be fenced-off securely.
This is where the smaller-sized wagons were used to deliver the fencing posts and timbers.
We transported many thousand of these posts along newly-made tracks , - some of which were hardly fit for an
agricultural tractor to navigate.

This load, like all of them , were loaded by hand , and each fencing post was counted individually.
No mechanical timber grabs/loaders were used, and this made sure that each post sat tight during the journey.
Perhaps a little time-consuming ,…but similar in pride to roping & sheeting, ( as per Bewick, etc. ).
Maybe VOSA might not approve of this stacking method . :unamused:

The photograph was taken around 1973 , and the load of about 1,400 posts and other timbers would be heading
to the plantation boundaries under construction in the Wensleydale area .

Hello CWM
Excelent photo and infomation marra.

I don’t think VOSA would like that stacking method either. Actually, I’m sure its now band

Kindest regards
CG

From the North with SY60AHG empty and loaded.
Oily

Another of John Scott of Ayr ‘timber trucks’ … sadly no longer in trade.

oiltreader:
From the North with SY60AHG empty and loaded.
Oily

Hello Oily

Excelent photos marra. Many thanks for them

I’m I right in thinking M.L.G of Forres has a DAF XF on timber too?

Kindest regards
CG

raymundo:
Another of John Scott of Ayr ‘timber trucks’ … sadly no longer in trade.

Excelent photo raymundo

Many thanks for that

Kindest regards
CG

Hello

Heres another lorry belonging to Robert Tweddle of Longtown, sadly without a timber trailer

Kindest regards

CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:

oiltreader:
Hi ■■■■■■■■ gill
One or two from the North.
Oily

Hello oiltreader

Excelent photos marra. Thankyou for them

Have Grants still got that Hino 700 series? I remember seening it at Igguisund at Workington not long after it entered service

Kindest regards
CG

Hi CG That picture of the Hino was taken last Aug. Ronnie Cameron has kindly allowed me to access and use from his collection so a pic of the Hino in 2009 at Tore and another later one in May 2012 for you.
Cheers
Oily

Timber Ronnie Cameron Hino A&F Grant 7149031901_576f731514_b...jpg

:imp: :imp: handballing stabs(posts) man im going to have nightmares tonight …young and stupid comes to mind lol .wasnt to bad a job but if it was raining and cold and the guy up top got in a mood the stabs came backdown!.
Was an art in throwing them up so they sort o turned in the air and could be caught easier …unlike some who thought they were in Zulu throwing bloody spears.
jimmy.