Scania 140 / 141

Norman Lewis 141 coming onto Carr Lane in Hull

Hi all another one of them tufffff old 141s

Regards Jimski

OK; Here are my contributions, although of course I am totally bias to one particular operator of the mighty 140 V8.
Some of these images were not published in the book and have never been seen before!

Is this THE BEST image of a 140 EVER TAKEN ?

The first V8 Asian Transport had was ELK 384J. Frenchman Bobby Vallas seen here posing ontop of Tahir on route to Iran.

JLL 686K seen here at Chislehurst just after a partial respray at the time when Asian was rebranding to Astran. Bob Paul can just be seen at the wheel.

John Williams loading carpets in Tehran.

Gordon Pearce also drove JLL. Pictured here at -20 in Yugoslavia.

Nice example of a brand new 140 run by J&T.

KJN 671P was originally a 4x2 rigid/drawbar, but was later cut down to a tractor unit.
Dave Poulton posing with 671 when brand new and loaded for its first trip to the Doha exhibition 1975.

And here she is crossing H4.

And after she was cut down.

■■■■ Snow was the regular driver of KJN 680P. Like 671 it was also cut down. Pictured at the Doha depot, ■■■■ has the white shorts on.

■■■■ hated American trucks, much prefering his Swedish V8… pictured here taking a leak on the wheels of a Frediriki Kenworth!

Astran had 3 of the 4x2 roadtrains. KVX 859P was the third one.

And here she is after the “cut down” and respray with Geoff Frost posing.

Now here’s a puzzle!.. a 4th roadtrain…reg is JVX 436N…

And here, a totally different truck but with same reg!!!

It appears that the truck was “brand spanking new” and needed photos taking for publicity. As it was unregistered, the Scania dealer provided a set of plates. It was eventually registered as KVX. Simples…

Dave Poulton said that PHK 172M was the best truck he ever drove! 6x4 and pulled like a train…

Geoff Frost drove it when it was sent to the Doha depot, but complained that the huge tyres were totally useless on the highways, but awesome when pulling double trailers across the desert!!!

NVW 484P - a truly iconic truck! Dave Poulton and John Williams pose on route to Pakistan. KJN 671P can just be seen behind (John’s truck).

On route through Turkey.

And parked at the Doha depot. Check out the tiny White conventional!

And finally…After leaving Astran, JOHNNY HOLLAND set up in Australia and bought himself this most impressive 141…

I had seen one of these pictures before and remember an argument about “sand tyres” in the Wheelhouse or the Albion :stuck_out_tongue: I knew they had some and so did the bloke who this other kid was arguing with. I think it was a wind up that got a little serious.

Whereabouts were Willhire from?

Willhire were from Barton Mills in Suffolk. I met the owner Roger Williams in istanbul when he was on a recovery expedition to recover some lorries back from along the route to the ME.

Hi all Hi Ash brilliant pics mate, Pat Duffy from Southampton ended up with KJN 671P !'Ex Gerry Wheelans (R.I.P.)motor I do believe, what a motor that Bell Aussie Scannie , still what else would you drive being ex Astrans member !! :unamused:

Regards Jimski

great topic and great pics of great trucks keep em coming lads :smiley: :wink:

For a long distance man he certainly traveled light :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

I had seen one of these pictures before and remember an argument about “sand tyres” in the Wheelhouse or the Albion :stuck_out_tongue: I knew they had some and so did the bloke who this other kid was arguing with. I think it was a wind up that got a little serious.

Whereabouts were Willhire from?

If the “sand tyres” were that good,why the need for a shovel tucked in the ladder?

Suedehead:
If the “sand tyres” were that good,why the need for a shovel tucked in the ladder?

To clear up the BS when they got back off a trip and went for a jar in The Albion of couse :laughing:

What a great thread,

Those are the best photos that I’ve seen on ‘Trucknet’ for ages Ash,thanks mate,top stuff.

The 141 has to be one of my all time favourite trucks,I love the classic late 60’s styling. The long door,the rear curved windows and the pressings in the rear of the cab.

Here’s a few from down under,I really think they suit the Aussie look with a large bull bar and stone gaurd.

Here’s one from NZ

Here’s a couple of LK141’s with the set forward front axle.

There were quite a few 141 8x4’s here,I’ll see if I can did up some pics.

gunnerheskey:
Kindle 530, loved those Machayes pics

cheers mate, unfortunatly ive lost more than ive still got :cry:

Don Clixby 141.jpg

Hi all here’s another beauty from the Gaydon Truck Show 2011 great to see these trucks restored !!!

Regards Jimski

LB76:

Nice thread about the undoubted leader of the day, lets face it, it was streets ahead of the opposition & could beat many of them uphill fully frighted when they were ■■■■ near empty.
There is no engine that sounds like a V8 of course (petrol or diesel) and I always enjoyed listening to that engine growling through the eminox.

Maybe someone on here will know ?
I had a 140 that had a long curved (in chrome) gear lever that was not like any Scania lever I had seen before, the gear knob was also different.

This one is always a favourite too.

Wheel Nut:
This one is always a favourite too.

This is swedish history! ASG don`t exitst any more they are now DHL… So my neighbour had one just like that,the same color.but it was 62 not 42. He drow Sweden to norway After the 141 he bought a 142 6*2 it so cool!