Scammell

Another Ballast tractor.

Ray

BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVES.
SCAMMELL BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVES.
SHOWMANS BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVES.

As the other posters have said,a heavy haulage ballast road locomotive is equipped with a ballast box in which concrete or cast steel or iron
weights are installed in order to create more tractive adhesion on whatever surface the road locomotive is travelling on.The amount of ballast - weight varies,but Scammell Contractor road locomotives as operated by Pickfords,Wynns,Sunters,Econofreight,etc,had 50 tons of
ballast over the rear driving axles! :exclamation: :smiley:

Ballast road locomotives are used to pull independent drawbar trailers,as are showmans ballast road locomotives,ballast for these
fairground lorries is provided by the heavy electricity generator sets which are mounted behind the cabs of these motor vehicles.

Scammell Super Highwayman 65 Tons GTW 4x2 Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive,
579 EYO,registered in London on Saturday,6th June,1963.
New to Pickfords Heavy Haulage as a Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive,fleet No.
M3023. It was one of three,including 580 EYO,Pickfords No.M3024 which ended up as a showmans ballast road locomotive with Henry
Botton,Mitcham,London:-

These three Scammell road locomotives had Leyland O or P680 Diesel Engines,SCG -
Self Changing Gears 5-speed semi-automatic gearboxes - cabs and ballast box
bodies built by E.G.Brown & Company,Tottenham,London.

SCAMMELL SUPER HIGHWAYMAN 65 Tons GTW 4x2 SHOWMANS BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,580 EYO,Ex-Pickfords M3024.Henry Botton,Mitcham,London:-

SCAMMELL SHOWTRAC 4x2 SHOWMANS BALLAST DIESEL ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,Chassis No.6114,HTO 221,PROGRESS-LEGEND,June 1946,Hibble and Mellors,Nottingham:-

VALKYRIE

This one is at rest, but wouldn’t take much to restore !

image.jpg

moomooland:

LeeJ:
fantastic, that clears that up. Would they be full of gravel then?

In those days they would put in anything heavy they could find around the yard such as old scrap steel, lumps of concrete, stone, bags of sand even 40 gallon drums full of water.
Happy Days. :slight_smile:

Paul I recall my dad a 4x4 Matador which had a big concrete block in the back for ballast in the 50s but when I started in the 60s all the ballast tractors at Pickfords Sheffield depot had steel weights as ballast though a couple of depots did have concrete blocks to fasten on to fifth wheel artic units to be used as ballast tractors Leeds was one depot who used this on their 6 wheel bonneted Atkinson. We used to get parked up a lot in the 60s and 70s around London as the police would not let abnormal loads move on Saturdays so the Highwayman unit or Ballast tractor was the choice of transport to go and see all the tourists sites buck house and the tower and such and we never got pulled even going up the mall nowadays we would be in the tower :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Ex Army Scammell Crusader , with lightweight load on Nooteboom steered 4-axled semi-trailer.
Photographed at ■■■■■■■ Steam Gathering.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

A couple of dead ones…

BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVES.
SCAMMELL BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVES.
SHOWMANS BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVES.

Scammell Contractor Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive.

In my earlier post in this thread,I said that the Scammell Contractor 6x4 Heavy Haulage Ballast Road Locomotive
as operated by Pickfords,Wynns,Sunters,Econofreight,etc,had 50 tons of ballast.
The above statement IS NOT CORRECT,and my rusty memory of the specifications of the Scammell Senior
Contractor was confusing the overall weight of the Contractor with the weight of the ballast! :exclamation: :blush: :slight_smile:

According to COMMERCIAL MOTOR,QV below,the ballast weighs 33-tons,so the GVW - all up weight of a Contractor
Senior ballast road locomotive is around 46-50-tons :slight_smile: :-

QUOTE from the Friday,22nd September,1972 edition of COMMERCIAL MOTOR,Commercial Vehicle Motor Show
Special Number Edition:-
“The giant Scammell 6 x 4 Contractor prime mover on show is destined to go to Finland where it will haul heavy components for building power stations. This model has been designed to operate at up to 240 tons gcw and the prime mover alone has to carry 33 tons of ballast to provide the necessary traction. The 14-litre turbocharged six cylinder ■■■■■■■ engine delivers 380 bhp at 3210 rpm and 955 lb ft torque at 1600 rpm. The transmission consists of a Fluidrive 550 coupling and an eight-speed Leyland semi-automatic epicyclic gearbox. The rear bogie has a 40-ton design capacity and has a ratio of 15.788 to 1”.

Scammell Showtrac Showmans Road Locomotive.
In my rush to finish my previous post,and getting ready to go out,I forgot to say that the Scammell Showtrac did
not have an independant and seperate electricity generator set:It was fitted with a Mawdsley dynamo,which was
belt driven from the power take off of the gearbox,and the lorry was fitted with a 4-ton cast iron ballast weight.

Scammell Pioneer Road Locomotives.
The heavy recovery vehicle version of the Scammell Pioneer for the WD-WO British Army,had seven front-mounted ballast weights in front of the radiator,each weighed 70 kg = 154 lbs = 11 stone X 7 = 1078 lbs which kept the front end of the Scammell down when it was recovering motor vehicles on suspended tow:-

Some Scammell Pioneer TRMU/20 and TRMU/30 Tractive Unit-Tank Transporters were converted after World War Two by the British Army in to Ballast Road Locomotives:-

SCAMMELL PIONEER TRMU/30 6x4 BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,SFO 993,1939-1945.Ex-British Army Tank Transporter,and later Ballast Road Locomotive:-

SCAMMELL PIONEER TRMU/30 6x4 SHOWMANS BALLAST DIESEL ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,OHL 374G,INVADER.Roland and Dunny Tucker Amusements,near Wakefield:-

VALKYRIE

I only ever drove a Scammell with the gate change box a handfull of times many years ago. I think I remember that there were two neutrals. One was between reverse and 1st, but where was the other one please? Between 1st and 2nd?

Some early preservation jobs probably mid 1960s to 1970

One of George Lawty’s Scammells

Lawty.jpg

Hi all. Im a retired heavy haulage driver and bloody well enjoying it. Anyway Question !!! Does anybody know the whereabouts of a Scammell Pioneer Registration. 7971 PJ it is a 6 wheeler. I used to drive this vehicle when it belonged to Patsy Gray a showman from Mitcham London. Ive found the old Foden we had and it is in Prestine condition but the Scammel has disappeared, so any help would be appreciated. You can e.mail me… benjamin.bronson41@gmail.com. the last time I saw it was 1971 when the machine was sold to a Roy Carter from Hull. Whitley Bay. area but I can not trace him.

Best Regards Ben

I can recall a Scammell Crusader at Earls Court show years ago.It had a set of rollers that could be fitted to the side of the engine for quick changes in the field.It was in the army colours.Rolls powered :open_mouth: A mate used to run an eight legger tipper from my yard.He worked out the fuel he was buying,about 4 to the gallon :open_mouth: RMC offered to sell me some 8 wheel tippers powered by 220 Rolls,I valued them at scrap prices and no I did not get them :slight_smile:

moomooland:

Love the look of her, very smart, West Coast type mirrors etc :smiley: . What’s with the white lines top/botom of wind-screen, are they just unusual placing of pin-striping or some kind of screen de-mister or something?
Regards Chris

Greetings,All.
Ref.the white lines on the top and bottom of the screen,I think they were for the Screen Demister.It looks like an electric element built in to the screen.A good idea I think.Regards,900x20. :question: :unamused:

Hi, Valkrey , We bought 2 ex Pickfords Atki 8 wheel cab and chassies 566 eyo 570 eyo small world, Cheers Barry

gingerfold:
One of George Lawty’s Scammells

They were from Broughty Ferry and had Atkinson 8 legger bulk tankers as well thank you Trevor .