Scammell

One of the last at the NEC show

And one at the Truck racing one year

kr79:
After the recent ergo thread and now the Guy one just wondered if people had any thoughts on the products from this part of the British Leyland stable.
Not so much the heavy stuff but the normal size trucks.
I spent a fair bit of my childhood in the passenger seat of various routemans so have some good memorys.

I’ve just been going through some of the photos of the lorries my Dad drove throughout his
50 year career as a lorry driver/drivers mate
I thought this might be of interest

Bobtail:
One of the last at the NEC show

So there WAS a high-roof S26. For years I’ve wondered why Scammell never utilised the Leyland T45 high cab (‘Interstate’?) - but here’s one being shown at NEC. Does anyone know of others? Robert

Some shots taken in the early1970s

A Scammell tractor unit , photographed on the road run of the Kirkby Stephen & Brough Easter Rally , a few years ago.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Downsizing from my previous Scammell photograph , is this Scarab which needed a lot of T.L.C. to restore. :unamused:
It is hard to imagine that the above forlorn skeleton was transformed into the magnificent dark blue Scarab by the
professional commercial restorers ,- the Walsh Brothers. :slight_smile:

Photographed here , and looking rather sad before rebuilding , at the Fleetwood Transport Rally , a few years ago.

A very sad sight. There is more about this on the web. The Pioneer was upside down. The driver survived.

mickgouldcommercials.com/For … 1c8f4e5053

The driver of the Scammell Pioneer was very lucky to survive such a bad accident.
it shows just how well-built those old Scammells are.

Talking of solidly-built Scammells ,…here`s a photograph of KD 9168 , one of the 2 Scammell 100 tonners.
This proud example resides in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum , Leyland.

cattle wagon man:
The driver of the Scammell Pioneer was very lucky to survive such a bad accident.
it shows just how well-built those old Scammells are.

Talking of solidly-built Scammells ,…here`s a photograph of KD 9168 , one of the 2 Scammell 100 tonners.
This proud example resides in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum , Leyland.

Hiya no2 Scammell 100 tonner still survives if you ask fryske nicely hell post you a photo of the other one that sits in rush
green along with a 65 tonner
John

Hi “3300John” ,
Thanks for the update , re: Scammell 100 tonner No. 2.
Let us hope that it to be fully restored and placed alongside its twin at the B.C.V.M.
That would surely make a magnificent double display of the early pioneers of heavy haulage , - and British-built too. :smiley:

The other 100 tonner would be BLH 21 otherwise known as Leaping Lena which was based at Sheffield and driven by Cliff Lowther, it was in service well into the 1950s as I spent a couple of days on it when I went with my dad who was double heading it with a AEC Matador.

The thing that I recall most is it had a small brass tank on the passenger side bulwark just below the windscreen and you had to manually pump the diesel up from the main tank and it gravity fed the engine which I had the job of doing and I recall Ma going mad with Dad when we got home as I was black and greasy smelling of diesel and that is over 60 years ago.

cheers Johnnie :unamused: :wink:

cattle wagon man:
Hi “3300John” ,
Thanks for the update , re: Scammell 100 tonner No. 2.
Let us hope that it to be fully restored and placed alongside its twin at the B.C.V.M.
That would surely make a magnificent double display of the early pioneers of heavy haulage , - and British-built too. :smiley:

Hiya its rotting away like everything else in the PLACE. steve may put a photo up of her
John

The 100 tonner is buried under a mountain of crap but here are someone else’s pics of it

http://popularclassics.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=9813&

Here is UU5667 - 65 tonner
New in 1929 to A. C Marston. Then to E Box Ltd. Really one owner as Marston owned E Box. They were nationalised in 1949.
It didn’t enter the nationalised fleet so maybe it’s been here since wartime?

One of the many Scammells that J.R.Adams operated, They were replaced with the Leyland Roadtrains, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya…I’ll bet that crusader ain’t doing 56mph…no Elephant train going on there…give it some boot mate.

Something quite rare on the Continent. A Scammell Highwayman from the well known hauler Leopold Van Gaever of Antwerp. Equipped with Belgian cab (maker unknown?)

mandator:
Something quite rare on the Continent. A Scammell Highwayman from the well known hauler Leopold Van Gaever of Antwerp. Equipped with Belgian cab (maker unknown?)

Looks like the Highwayman Rad’/front arches & bonnet grafted onto another cab :confused: , doesn’t look right without the split-screen :neutral_face: Regards Chris