Yank Scammells

talking of getting in and out of trucks or lorries…how may of you slipped on the wheel trip in the wet and scraped all down your shin…painful and sore for days, i did it a few times…

truckyboy:
talking of getting in and out of trucks or lorries…how may of you slipped on the wheel trip in the wet and scraped all down your shin…painful and sore for days, i did it a few times…

I’ve still got the scars to prove it.

alexsaville:
I seem to remember reading some years ago(in Truck I think) that Leyland were selling a batch of Roadtrains to the states, cant remember what badge was going on them but I dont think it was Leyland or Scammel
Any one remember?.
Alex.

I believe that they were badged as “Mountaineer”

Ok how about this one? Its a Scammell made to look like a KW… Run by Bond Trucking from Cirencester - anyone ever seen it in the flesh? Rolls 280 under the hood so you know it would have been fairly nippy. Crusaders were one of my all time faveourites, rugged looking beasts.

Pictures from Truck, July 1983 - a very popular issue currently eh Craig? :wink:

Certainly looks like a proper truck doesn;t it?

I quite fancied a Camel :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Certainly looks like a proper truck doesn;t it?

I quite fancied a Camel :stuck_out_tongue:

Full on Convoy , Good Buddy :slight_smile:

Does it say David Dickenson on that tilt in the background? - would suit an old antique like that Scammell. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only joking, looks a pretty convincing conversion, certainly would have to look twice at it. Was the front axle normally that far forward (showing my ignorance about anything British that didn’t have an LAD cab :blush: )

Craig 111:
Does it say David Dickenson on that tilt in the background? - would suit an old antique like that Scammell. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only joking, looks a pretty convincing conversion, certainly would have to look twice at it. Was the front axle normally that far forward (showing my ignorance about anything British that didn’t have an LAD cab :blush: )

HAHA! Same age as an F88 mind :open_mouth: Did you get any pics of that btw?

Anyway Crusaders were never easy things to get into, about as easy as a Hino! Some sort of belay and winch operation once you’d got past the wheel trims I reckon… heres a shot to prove they did’nt have namby-pamby footwells in thos days

is it just me or does anyone else think that modern trucks are like modern cars got no charracter and pretty soulless and bland unless customised by owner :laughing:cuz them scammells look the part like alot of trucks from the 70,s and 80,s my personel favourite daf 3600 spacecab :laughing:

Carl:
is it just me or does anyone else think that modern trucks are like modern cars got no charracter and pretty soulless and bland unless customised by owner :laughing:

I think thats modern life mate ! but yes I do agree very much. Cant imagine doing this sort of things with some fly by wire, can I pick your gear for you sir? modern truck. Look at that one piece aluminum bumper or those great air horns - they would break up the computer designed airflow on a modern truck and so be a no-no :frowning:

ghinzani:

Carl:
is it just me or does anyone else think that modern trucks are like modern cars got no charracter and pretty soulless and bland unless customised by owner :laughing:

I think thats modern life mate ! but yes I do agree very much. Cant imagine doing this sort of things with some fly by wire, can I pick your gear for you sir? modern truck. Look at that one piece aluminum bumper or those great air horns - they would break up the computer designed airflow on a modern truck and so be a no-no :frowning:

The designers had to make the big monster trucks look friendly to stop frightening the public :stuck_out_tongue: I feel the same about motorbikes, A 1975 Kawasaki looks like a proper motorbike compared to a 2005 Honda CBR

I too think the DAF 3300 / 2800 was the last good looking truck, especially with the metal sunvisor.

DAF 2600
Leyland Marathon
Scammell Crusader
Scania 140
Volvo F89
Transcontinental

Im showing my age again :smiley:

I know you like these too :wink: They always looked a bit Yank too me, much more than a beefed up TK.

this is proberly for the photo forum but has any got any decent pics of the old daf space cab i know maguires of cheltenham had one and so did a firm called wheelers.there was a heaverly customised 3300 that used to do the shows i think from up north metalic blue with fur interior the first 2 appeared in trucking international and the blue one in t&d ive got a couple of pics of paul binns spacecab but thats all

I had my 3300 ATi in the Daf Brochure, sat under the Humber Bridge towers. I dont have a copy of it now though. :cry:

Do you remember the 3600 Space Cabs run by John Eddom International.

Silver with union jacks on the sides and pulling fridges out of Hull

Why destroy a Scammel crusader (which is far superior to any KW) to make it look like a bag of crap :question:

Pat Hasler:
Why destroy a Scammel crusader (which is far superior to any KW) to make it look like a bag of crap :question:

Was waiting for that post :laughing: cue John T :laughing:

BTW, where is John?

Salut, David.

Ok how about this one? Its a Scammell made to look like a KW

Well this one is a Scammell made to look like a bubble car :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
[
Well this one is a Scammell made to look like a bubble car :stuck_out_tongue:

[

That Highwayman brought back some memories, but why on earth did they streamline the Scarabs?

Salut, David.

As for that Ryder cab-forward Bedford-the reason it looked like a yank truck is because the cab design was an American GMC design! Here’s a Chevy version:

The GMC version was nearly identical. These were used as medium-sized trucks for in-town delivery, and were built as either a straight truck or as an artic tractor. Either could be ordered with gas or diesel motors.

As for the original picture-does he have plates from California and Oregon on that unit? I’m sure that these are long-obsolete plates, and would think that running down the road with them would be illegal. Do you ever see multiple plates on trucks in Europe? It used to be common here in the states, but I think that it hasn’t been legal in about 10 years here.

(Thanks to Hank’s Truck Pictures for the image)

I’ve wondered that too, Alex. It amazes me that that the U.S. and Canada seem to be the only places in the world that had to get multiple number plates.