Scammell

You could never accuse Harrisons of wasting water on their lorries!

Hiya. I think that last scammell is now back on the show scene as a two axle unit pulling a green living van. that also has high speed diff… if i’am correct.
John

you mean this one…

moomooland:

I bet the Harrison driver is looking in his mirror and thinking I wish I was driving that Volvo behind instead of this pile of junk
Cheers Foden

I was with one of harrisons drivers yrs ago tipping coiled rod and I asked him how fast the highwayman would go,his answer was 50mph if you could stand the noise :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.

These are cuttings from a lorry mag. in the 90s only I can’t remember which one.I do believe if my memory is’nt playing tricks they relate to a story that they are one and the same.Did it end up working in a Tarmac Concrete Beam Plant.And did it survive,if its been on before ,ignore. :slight_smile: Mike.

Yers an ex-forestry Routeman in long term restoration…

SC4-001.jpg
SC5-001.jpg
SC6-001.jpg

Edward Beck & Son Ltd Scammell Constructor 6x6 heavy haulage ballast tractor Reg No HJA 148F was named ‘Katy’.
Seen here in 1970 on the A49 Mill Lane, adjacent to Newton-le-Willows railway station, it is hauling a 1850 H.P Diesel Electric Locomotive from the nearby Vulcan Works destined for Ghana Railways & Ports in South Africa.
More images of Edward Beck & Son can be found HERE

i spotted a Scammell Highwayman on the A46 this morning :astonished: it was pulling a low loader with a lorry on the back.the Scammell was a dark colour with the word ‘Bedford’ and 2 other words i didn’t catch on the cab door.

seen the same Highwayman again today :astonished: heading towards Leicester on the M69…on the cab are the words ‘Bedford Machinery Limited’…anyone know of this lorry?

carryfast-yeti:
seen the same Highwayman again today :astonished: heading towards Leicester on the M69…on the cab are the words ‘Bedford Machinery Limited’…anyone know of this lorry?

Bedford Machinery Ltd Scammell Highwayman by Ampthill Photography, on Flickr

thanks for that fryske :smiley: smart looking unit…though it appears to be wearing a ballast box it that photo

I’ve been meaning to ask this… what exactly is a ballast box used for? and don’t just say ballast!

I’ve seen numerous old trucks, scammells etc that have these boxes on the back. why ?

LeeJ:
I’ve been meaning to ask this… what exactly is a ballast box used for? and don’t just say ballast!

I’ve seen numerous old trucks, scammells etc that have these boxes on the back. why ?

hello Lee…i presume it’s weight just to keep the back-end down in the absence of a trailer.

LeeJ:

The main use of ballast tractors is to move heavy and abnormal loads using an independent drawbar trailer the weight of the ballast over the drive axle enables better traction.
In Edward Becks fleet for example they had detachable ballast boxes enabling the prime mover to be either utilised as a 4x2 tractor unit or as a ballast tractor as can be seen in the two pictures of Edward Becks Scammell Highwayman Reg No WJA 131 below.

More images of Edward Becks Scammell fleet can be found HERE

fantastic, that clears that up. Would they be full of gravel then?

LeeJ:
fantastic, that clears that up. Would they be full of gravel then?

In those days they would put in anything heavy they could find around the yard such as old scrap steel, lumps of concrete, stone, bags of sand even 40 gallon drums full of water.
Happy Days. :slight_smile: