Scammell Routeman

I always thought that once Scammell had to drop their own axle and gearbox,apart from the Michelotti cab the chassis became a Leyland in all but name.I suppose the final demise came when, as with Akti Borderers, the fibreglass Scammell cab was declared unacceptable by the areosols in the EU !! Cheers Bewick.

A Company i worked for had some Routeman units they did a lot of hard work we had them recabbed and recon engines fitted at Ford and Slater Norwich i think the cost was 3.500 grand each that included total repaint in our new colours due to a takeover by a Special Freights/ Parkside Warehousing

Never driven a cheesegrater, I would imagine they were hot and noisy ?

Greetings Trev H. I drove a “K” reg trunker on Motor Spirit and Black Oil while on Shell and an eight wheel model on Lube Oil, all with the Leyland 0.680 engine. They went well and weren’t all that bad for heat and noise.For their day,they were quite tolerable. Preferable to a Gardner 180 any day.Noise to me = a Guy Invincible with a ■■■■■■■ in it. Regards,900X20. :slight_smile:

Have to agree about the Invincible, drove one (our wrecker) with a 180 ■■■■■■■ (in cab air filter eh !) thats why I thought the routeman may have been a similar deal with its glass fibre cab.

Here’s a couple from Bob Hobbs site transportphotos.com/road/photos
They were the best lorries around for tipper work during the 70s in my opinion.

BC00032-05.jpg
BC00036-05.jpg
CX00943.jpg

From gaydon 2009 :sunglasses:

Wow what memories, a haulage contractor i used to work with at weekends here in west wales had a fleet ofsome15 or so routemans.

seeing the PCY 50 R earlier on reminded me of them all ! the 1st one we had was a similar rg plate NCY58R and from Fletchers Swansea like all the others.

these were ok to work on but nothing like as easy as the Ford D series that i would spend time working on during the week!

Anyone remember the company or even drove for them D.J.Daniels Pontyberem Llanelli ? they were blue /red some othe reg’s were swn 873s sth 213s wwn 295 /6 t, ycy 297t ath 299 /300v to name a few, the latter 2 were tl11’s and 300 v went on to have an in house mode of ■■■■■■■ 290 / fuller box a rocket in it’s day.!

the owner of the co. which is now no longer trading since around 1990 still live down the road from me i will see if i can get photos of the fleet off him which he had hanging in the office including the later Constructors in the fleet the 1st of which was LCY 56X Rolls 265 eagle.and then mcy 201 /2 x

EW :smiley:

Hi,That would be great if you could get pics, more pics from our collection :sunglasses:

A few great scammell pics from the scrapbook memories forum, a great forum with great pics!!! :sunglasses:

img002%20-%20Copy.jpg

L D GRIFFITHS From Hadlow in Kent, Waiting to load grain at Tilbury Grain terminal. :sunglasses:

BLUE CIRCLE CEMENT. :sunglasses:

A few more pics to enjoy :sunglasses:

A few more :sunglasses:

2003_1027_161444AA.jpg

Hi, what a great collection of pics, unfortunalty we have not got any Tarmac motor pics but will keep an eye out for any and post them on if can find some. Great to see so many different Routeman pics. :sunglasses:

Some great model pics :sunglasses:

routeman.jpg

Gaydon5.jpg

That’s a great selection of routemans Bonkey,was you lucky enough to do a load or two in a scammell ? You and scamm73 are providing some great memories keep it up lads.

One or two more from Bob Hobbs site @ transportphotos.com/road/photos
1st 5 photos by Adrian Cypher.
Mk 11

Four Mk 111s

Mk 11

Peter Hiscock transport after they were Edgar Williams from Cowbridge South Wales