Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Froggy55:
I’ll ask my Portuguese houseworker next time I see her.

Apparently Foden means f k in Portuguese,not that I’ve heard it here,just what I am reliably informed by a translation App.

David

That was my idea too…

Another one in Portugal with a local crafted cab :wink:

pv83:
Another one in Portugal with a local crafted cab :wink:

Looking closely at that Portuguese motor,it appears to be a right hand drive,I’m sure I can see the steering wheel,strange when it purports to run from Lisbon to Porto.

David

I think you’re right. Maybe was it imported second-hand, and re-cabbed in Portugal?

The yellow Berliet TR 250 is well known to local enthusiasts. Charge-Utile Magazine, the French vintage truck magazine, has just published a special issue on wreckers, and I’ll make sure to buy it soon.

Any thoughts about this one?

118815044_1928928877248033_5475296613754587010_o.png

pv83:

PB reg. means 18th January 1954 until 21st December 1955. I’m guessing they needed the bus to carry a crew for unloading the meat?

A very interesting and elaborate cab for its time! It indeed looks like ii the front part of a bus had been fitted on the bonneted chassis.

Froggy55:
A very interesting and elaborate cab for its time! It indeed looks like ii the front part of a bus had been fitted on the bonneted chassis.

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:

PB reg. means 18th January 1954 until 21st December 1955. I’m guessing they needed the bus to carry a crew for unloading the meat?

Cheers for the insight gents, much appreciated.

I was reading an article about a restored DAF 2600, and the old girl surely looked brand new! Even to todays standards the cab doesn’t look dated, I don’t think they sold a lot of them outside Holland and Belgium (the success story started with the 2800 range…?), so here are a couple of pic’s to refreshen our memories.

Just remember the DAF 2600 cab was launched in 1962. What a leap in comfort and space for a standard cab!

Froggy55:
Just remember the DAF 2600 cab was launched in 1962. What a leap in comfort and space for a standard cab!

Not much call for something like that here in the UK back then though, no really long journeys undertaken like in Europe unless you crossed the channel so driver comfort wasn’t a priority. The Leyland Group LAD cab was considered large in those days.

Pete.

Some excellent footage from 1976, with good sound quality too!

youtube.com/watch?v=ioj_EQb96PQ

What’s the story with the spread axle triaxle trailer? I thought French tri’s were close-spaced? Never seen one like that before.

[zb]
anorak:

What’s the story with the spread axle triaxle trailer? I thought French tri’s were close-spaced? Never seen one like that before.

A lovely, evocative piece, Anorak! Made me want to climb into an F89 and hit les Routes Nationale! I notice the film switches randomly twixt tri-axle and spread-axle. It is possible that he is pulling a foreign spready on ‘change-over’, traction or even dock-traction duties. The answer may lie in the commentary but my French aint up to it!

Rowena

[zb]
anorak:

That guy certainly had a good job and a nice truck for his time! When I started driving trucks in 1979, there were still quite a number of old “bangers” dating from the early sixties, including guys who had to haul semi-trailers with 180 bhp tractors from one end of the country to the other. Having to unload one’s stuff was still a widespread practise. Nevertheless, thanks for this very interesting video!

Transports Galopin year 1955.

There are two Transports Galopin in France; one in Brittany, the other in Bourges. I guess this one is Breton.

Krupp with sleepercab from Galopin.

I didn’t know some Krupp trucks had been imported in France. Can’t see properly its registration, so cannot put a year on it.