Saviem Trucks

Before Saviem had links with MAN in the 60 th, in 1960 they had connections with Henschel who sold engines for the heavy tractor JL20/200,
In Germany some Saviem were sold through the Henschel dealers but less than in France where Henschel bonneted models were appreciated mostly as tippers.The range which was available at the beginning of 1961.

Evening all, do you know I never ever knew that this thread existed!! All that I have submitted on different threads over the last few years about the French commercial vehicle industry, its incredibly rich manufacturing base, just as varied, and distinctive as our own in Britain, the personalities, the haulage operators, and just the whole incredible tapestry of the industry! Maybe, it would be of interest to share a few recollections, and very happy memories. My problem is time, there is not enough of it,even in “later” life.

I spent nearly twelve years with them, France, Benelux, USA, Italy, both as Saviem, (a thoroughbred), and Renault, (a good mongrel, that needed a little more breeding). Marketing & Research, Dealer Development, Export, Finance,

The lost opportunities, Willeme, Rolls Royce, MAN,

Blainville, Limoge, Venissieux, really interesting manufacturing/assembly plants, Antwerpen, Marsailles, Milan, Rennes, Bordeaux, Lyon Nord, centres of excellence…where do I start?

This Truck Net thing becomes compulsive viewing, Ive a tractor and trailer outside sucking up my expensive go, go claret, (2nd refill of 2013), and we are working a full 24 today, so I must be away, but a couple of things spring to mind…

Some fascinating posts above,

I think that there is a seperate Thomason Thread somewhere, with lots of pictures. David was a true Gentleman Engineer.

wheel nut, I think that your PX, was actually a ex Burton Tailoring TR280 Berliet, with a Saviem badge on it, (and still a very driveable lorry). But it would not be a PX.

The PX was really a 14litre V8 Berliet, with Saviem badging, (just as stupid as the B serie Berliet, which was a Saviem J serie, with a Berliet badge…several million FF wasted…and we thought Leyland were masters at this sort of excess)!!! No RHD PXs were ever built,…in fact not many PXs existed at all! But to drive a TR280…well they felt flat…but could they go…read one of our Irish friends contributions on the Berliet thread…through a bridge, because he was used to a noisy Leyland.

michel`s Saviem Henschel chart shows a short lived era, a deal of collaboration, signed for twenty five years…that lasted from 1960 to 1963, and as it was not working, and Henschel were about to become Hanomag/Daimler Benz, it was “killed”, then of course came the fruitful collaboration with MAN, that could, (had not Michelin wished to divest itself of the over facilitised, and barely cost covering, Berliet operation, owned by its Citroen subsidiary, this causing major panic in the Elysee Palace), when MAN became “weak” in the 80s have become part of the Regie, and Saviem.

But it was not to be, we became “married” to Berliet in `75, and a whole new era began…and we gained perhaps the best European Truck man to head any company, Francoise Zanotti, the enigmatic little Corsican, but in time he was worn down by the “faceless” political animals, and just like here with Leyland, the wrong decisions were made!

Ive stayed too long, my lads are rolling in, (double time dont yknow, (and worth every penny of it) but Im in the office with the lights on, and they are now queuing for “claret” , so I must away back to the fields, no Bollinger tonight, the mud is too deep, its Coffee, (and a little Calvados)…its cold out there!!

When you buy your “spuds”, in a nice clean Supermarket…think of us!! Cheerio for now.

A very talentous French drawer named EM PRAT website ‘graphite garage’.

Im sure in the 70s Cazaleys Transport Newcastle Part of the Clark Taylor Group were agents for Saviem Trucks, Ken Allison from Blaydon had one of them on the Fish job at North Shields, The gear stick was on the steering colum, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Im sure in the 70s Cazaleys Transport Newcastle Part of the Clark Taylor Group were agents for Saviem Trucks, Ken Allison from Blaydon had one of them on the Fish job at North Shields, The gear stick was on the steering colum, Regards Larry.

In the late 70 was it James of bedlington that became the saviem dealer along with white trucks :question:

michel:
A very talentous French drawer named EM PRAT website ‘graphite garage’.

Hello michel, you are quite correct, his work mainly appears in France Routes, but his web site is well worth looking at. Superb images, drawn with real feeling!

I have some highly prized originals, that I would never part with!

!

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry you are quite right, but sadly, as Saviem, we were in our death throes, married, (by force), to dear lardy arsed Berliet!! But that is life! From memory Cazeleys were a nice outfit…but I only remember meeting them once in Blainville…long ago!!!1
Cheerio for now!

Saviem JL 20 with a Tual-Gourmelen fridge body.

Hi Saviem and all,my mrs was having a clearout and i found this in " The illustrated encyclopedia of trucks and buses " by Denis Miller and it contains 4500 plus marques from 1769.You will frobabley have to enlarge the print to read it,cheers Buzzer.

img171.jpg

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:
The original cab was a Saviem Berliet Renault mix. The Ford Transcontinental was as best booties mentions mounted higher and required an extra step. It also required a longer tachograph cable. This was easily solved by joining 2 shorter cables from a Saviem etc :stuck_out_tongue: This had an added advantage that you could drive a bit further than other trucks :smiley: if you knew about the join

Ford made the Transcon out of bits to compete in the European market. It was built in Holland and used parts from many different manufacturers.

Unfortunately some of these things were unevenly matched which caused the biggest problems with 12v electrics and ■■■■ godawful brakes

Having said that,they were a favourite with a lot of owner drivers on the M/E who swore they were as reliable as any other motor on the job.

■■■■■■■ fuller Rockwell driveline good well proved combination and easy to fix.
Never had anything yo do with the big ford myself but all the criticisms I’ve heard have been due to the odds and ends not main components.

I owned one for a couple of years it was the smallest one they made JP75 I found it a great little worker from memory it was 150 HP nice cab and finish loved it

south wales haulier harry kelly from crickhowell ran one of these saviems in the seventys was a bit jealous of it… i was driving b series erf and he used to bounce up an down like a nodding dog … cab must have been a better ride than erf…

A well preserved SAVIEM JL 20 with the Somua engine.

michel:
A well preserved SAVIEM JL 20 with the Somua engine.

Found it Michel - I will see what i can find to post :smiley:

Steve

Steve

Hey Steve, michel was a Volvo man…thanks those are good Saviem images…the “best” cab of its generation, and remember" WE" had to take over Berliet, because they had lost direction, and design ethos!!!

image.jpg

Steve

JM 240T with M.A.N engine.

Neversweat, that picture of ONATRA’s got me curious. The badge seems to indicate SM260 if my eyes are correct.

However from my childhood in France I seem to remember the following versions:
SM 240
SM 280 (naturally aspired V8)
SM 280 TU (straight-6 turbo)
SM 340 (V8 turbo)

Was there ever an SM 260 ■■?
Or did the driver create a vanity badge perhaps…

Many thanks in advance for enlightening me!
David

Evening all, Davidoff, Transports Onatra were a major operator of Magirus Deutz vehicles. In 1972, Jean Arcostanzo signed a collaboration with the Dutch shipping and transport group Pakoed, granting a 50% share holding in Onatra. The most obvious sign of this collaboration was the adoption of a new livery. The old conservative maroon was replaced by the vivid Yellow, with a red central band running around the cab, containing the name Onatra, and a “styled” hat symbol, relating to the Amsterdam dockers.

1973 saw the signing of a contract with Saviem for 400 units. This comprised the SM260, powered by a MAN 2356HM, 10.689litres, 255cv (SAE). 8 speed Saviem gearbox, double reduction rear axle, with a net weight of 5.9tonnes, and operational weight of 35tonnes. SM 260s were used by Onatra on “regional” work. For long distance work Onatra specified the Saviem SM300, fitted with the MAN D2658M4, V8, of 14.96litres @ 300cv (SAE}. Transmission by Fuller 9 speed, double reduction rear axle, and a nett weight of 6.5tonnes, and operational weight of 35 tonnes. Onatra also took SM38TUT 4x2 tractors, in effect the “old” SM240, 2156 MAN 10.35 litre, but Turbocharged to give 275cv, (SAE). Though these were few and far between, Onatra fleet policy being rather conservative, and a major consideration being ultra reliability.

Onatra, at that time France`s largest “hire and reward” haulier was very aware of its purchasing power, and a very hard company to do (profitable) business with! In 1976 Onatra purchased 100 DAF FT2805 DKTD tractors, in the November DAF lost out and Magirus won an order for 200, comprising M310D19S for long distance, and M270D19FS for regional work. 1977 “we” got back with an order for 200 SM 340T, 4x2 tractors. The SM340T was fited with the new D2858 V8 of 15.45 litres, developing 335cv (SAE), a product of the joint Mercedes Benz, MAN design collaboration. Transmission by Fuller 9 speed, and hub reduction axle. Powerful, and utterly reliable, perhaps one of the best “fleet” lorries of its age. Then of course came the PS30, and its short lived market career!

But of course alongside the Saviems from 1973, Onatra had been operating Berliet TR280s, and by the 1980s, the Onatra fleet really comprised of two marques, DAF FT2800DKTD, and Berliet/Renault TR280s. Plus some GR280 rigids, and of course then when the R310 appeared, over 200 were adopted by Onatra, (but by then I was long gone from visiting those superb offices at Vitrolles, and dealing with that wonderful Transport company…many , many happy memories!

Cheerio for now.

Seldom SM 260 6x4 to deliver building materials.