Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

There is a publicity of the French importer of Krupp in the 60 th, I think the bonneted Galopin was from 1961.

Thanks, Michel! This was the last Krupp cab, and the best known of all. They were powered either by Krupp two-stroke, or ■■■■■■■ engines.

Few interesting old pics

Nostalgic old pic…They didn’t just make lorries…

Fergie47:
Nostalgic old pic…They didn’t just make lorries…

Indeed, Berliet also produced some railcars in the 1920s and a few shunting engines.

Fergie47:
Few interesting old pics

The Bernard “Television” cab was certainly very advanced for its time (1958), at least as a standard cab (Dutch coachbuilders offered very sophisticated cab in the late 1950s). A pity it was poorly built, quick to rust, and that the standard transmission used a manually operated auxiliary gearbox with a second stick. ZF 2x6 gearboxes were available as options.

Froggy55:
Thanks, Michel! This was the last Krupp cab, and the best known of all. They were powered either by Krupp two-stroke, or ■■■■■■■ engines.

Would this one have had a ■■■■■■■ under the bonnet?

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Few interesting old pics

The Bernard “Television” cab was certainly very advanced for its time (1958), at least as a standard cab (Dutch coachbuilders offered very sophisticated cab in the late 1950s). A pity it was poorly built, quick to rust, and that the standard transmission used a manually operated auxiliary gearbox with a second stick. ZF 2x6 gearboxes were available as options.

I thought the Television came out in 1962? Don’t know where I got that from, and I have, so far, failed to find any information to back it up! :smiley: :smiley:

[zb]
anorak:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Few interesting old pics

I thought the Television came out in 1962? Don’t know where I got that from, and I have, so far, failed to find any information to back it up! :smiley: :smiley:

Anorak et froggy…somewhere on this thread, John (Saviem) did a great write up of the Bernard 8 wheeler…in the early '60’s it was an advanced lorry, with air suspension and disc brakes, alas French legislation put an end to it…also on here, I posted up a model a guy had done of it, it was superb considering it was done from scratch…as for the rust problem I put a couple of pics off one that had been abandoned in a field somewhere, only recognisable by the port hole window, it had completely disintegrated… if i come across the articles, I’ll repost them…
Fergie

[zb]
anorak:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Few interesting old pics

I must confess my mistake! That cab was first produced in April 1960 on the TD 160.35 (source: Charge-Utile special issue n°17).

Now, would any of you have an idea concerning this truck? Posted on my favourite French forum a few days ago. Definitively American and certainly a lot of “do it yourself” in it. Could either be a COE truck with a lengthened chassis to fit a bigger engine, or a standard bonneted truck on which was transplanted a cab from a COE truck such as the Federal 94. Thanks for your suggestions!

Another quizz for which I have no answer. Here’s a Spanish advertisement for Fruehauf semi-trailers including Pegaso, Alfa-Romeo, Barreiros and at least one Leyland (bottom right) tractors.

Fruehauf pub v. 1960 (détail).jpgBut what on Earth can be this one, in the middle of the page? The grille definitely looks Italian (Fiat or Lancia), but the Italian never produced six-wheeled bonneted tractors. My only suggestion would be and ex-US Army tractor or wrecker fitted with an Italian cab, but to my knowledge, the Allies never entered Spain during WW II…

Sabaton had a fleet of Bernard :

Later they bought some Krupp with ■■■■■■■ engine.

Fergie47:

[zb]
anorak:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Few interesting old pics

Anorak et froggy…somewhere on this thread, John (Saviem) did a great write up of the Bernard 8 wheeler…in the early '60’s it was an advanced lorry, with air suspension and disc brakes, alas French legislation put an end to it…also on here, I posted up a model a guy had done of it, it was superb considering it was done from scratch…as for the rust problem I put a couple of pics off one that had been abandoned in a field somewhere, only recognisable by the port hole window, it had completely disintegrated… if i come across the articles, I’ll repost them…
Fergie

This it?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=88628&p=1250731

In that thread, I post a link that says the Television was first shown to the world in 1960, and entered production in 1962, which would confirm what we were saying up the page- if the link was still live, which it is not.

Saw this UNIC advertised in Goole UK for £1200 looks a fair thing to restore, Buzzer

And one more, Buzzer

122449447_1028408060958556_1048637185623915223_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Saw this UNIC advertised in Goole UK for £1200 looks a fair thing to restore, Buzzer

Unic P8 with the latest grille (c. 1974). I used to drive a similar one, fitted with a sleeper cab, on long distances in 1980. My recollection is one of a rather pleasant truck to drive. Powered either by a 135 bhp Unic engine and 2 x 4 speed gearbox, or 160 bhp OM CP3 engine witha 5-speed box with an unusual pattern. If the engine is OK and the bodywork sound, it’s a good deal.

Froggy55:

Buzzer:

Unic P8 with the latest grille (c. 1974). I used to drive a similar one, fitted with a sleeper cab, on long distances in 1980. My recollection is one of a rather pleasant truck to drive. Powered either by a 135 bhp Unic engine and 2 x 4 speed gearbox, or 160 bhp OM CP3 engine witha 5-speed box with an unusual pattern. If the engine is OK and the bodywork sound, it’s a good deal.

Doesn’t look to be beyond saving, does it? Hurry up Senior, this one has got your name written on it! See you at Locomotion next year :wink: