Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Froggy55:
Never heard about these Poden trucks before! Interesting!

I believe Podens were Fodens (with local content such as cabs to avoid local taxes) but with the name slightly altered to avoid upsetting the locals and spooking the horses. Foden could easily be misconstrued for something rude in Portugal…

Edited afterthought: Closer to home Froggy you may recall when Hyundai sold an MPV called the Trajet, adding a D for diesel versions, thus you had TrajetD. When the name was spoken in France it could thus be interpreted as a Hyundai Tragedy. Hardly a name to inspire confidence! Or when the racer Jack Brabham started building racing cards commercially he named the company Motor Racing Developments, Shortened to MRD. That name did not last long when Brabham was told that French speakers might consider MRD too close to Merde (■■■■ in English), again not good for performance cars.

Closer to us, Koleos, the name Renault chose for their family SUV, is the Latin for balls (testicles), and in Greek it means the female equivalent. Of course, few people understand Greek in France) or even Latin, but even my local Renault garage owner knew what it meant even before he had sold one! No idea what Foden means in Portuguese…

Froggy55:
Closer to us, Koleos, the name Renault chose for their family SUV, is the Latin for balls (testicles), and in Greek it means the female equivalent. Of course, few people understand Greek in France) or even Latin, but even my local Renault garage owner knew what it meant even before he had sold one! No idea what Foden means in Portuguese…

Similar to the F word. Hyundai have done it again with their “Kona”. To my ears it sounds a bit too close to con…!

Froggy55:
0I was told this smart and roomy Dutch cab is fitted on a Foden chassis. Does anyone confirm? Thanks!

Hello Paul…can’t see the drive hubs very clearly, the 50 / 60’s half shaft ends were quiet distinctive (difficult to describe, but kind of bell shaped .) but the Dutch did like the British wagon…nice cab compared to the std one though…why couldnt Foden have done the same all those years ago.

Another find just off the canal tow path…

CHEREAU 15 mt spread axle refer box, build 04/12/1982. Second and third photo show the length of the spread between the 2 axles and the hugh balance beam that supports the spring hangers and springs front to rear…that set up must have been heavy, and taken a bit off the payload

CHEREAU are still going in Avranche, and one of the most popular FRENCH trailer manufactures.

The old girl is now seeing out her days as a storage unit for a dog training school near LOUDEAC…better than being cut up for scrap I guess

Sorry that the first photo isn’t very clear or shows the axle spread very well.

20200829_154617.jpg

20200829_154716.jpg

20200829_154659_001.jpg

20200829_171429.jpg

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
0I was told this smart and roomy Dutch cab is fitted on a Foden chassis. Does anyone confirm? Thanks!

Hello Paul…can’t see the drive hubs very clearly, the 50 / 60’s half shaft ends were quiet distinctive (difficult to describe, but kind of bell shaped .) but the Dutch did like the British wagon…nice cab compared to the std one though…why couldnt Foden have done the same all those years ago.

On the other channel Oily thought it was based on a Kromhout chassis… I too thought Foden at first, but after looking at some Kromhout’s I’m not so sure anymore. Cab looks great though, as you say Senior, why didn’t Foden thought of that themselves?

Froggy55:

So Renault claims that if you buy a Koleos… you’ve got balls? :laughing: I reckon that applies for every Renault!

Fergie47:
Another find just off the canal tow path…

CHEREAU 15 mt spread axle refer box, build 04/12/1982. Second and third photo show the length of the spread between the 2 axles and the hugh balance beam that supports the spring hangers and springs front to rear…that set up must have been heavy, and taken a bit off the payload

CHEREAU are still going in Avranche, and one of the most popular FRENCH trailer manufactures.

The old girl is now seeing out her days as a storage unit for a dog training school near LOUDEAC…better than being cut up for scrap I guess

Sorry that the first photo isn’t very clear or shows the axle spread very well.

Nice one Senior, any idea of who owned it first?

Fergie47:

pv83:
Nice batch of oldies Senior, merci :wink:

Some of you might recognise the Dutch Wagenborg Scania, was at “Locomotion” last year or the year before …

Think that is the son’s Scania, the father has the Volvo bonneted 88 with the twin axle trailer converted to luxury living accommodation …
The old Iveco, I wonder what the all up weight is with that outfit.over 100 I’d guess ?

Didn’t knew they were family members…

Yeah, I reckon it’s around the 100t mark, would have loved to stand on the pavement when that came roaring uphill!

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

During the 1950s and early 60s, Dutch coachbuilders offered very spacious and good looking cabs which were generally fitted on DAF or Scania chassis. Years ahead of the standard cabs fitted on British and even Continental trucks, but certainly much more expensive at a time the driver’s comfort was probably the least concern of transport operators!

Chereau also built cabs ,mainly on Saviem lorries.

A perfectly balanced outfit of the early sixties!

Froggy55:
Never heard about these Poden trucks before! Interesting!

Heres an bit more on the Poden’s “Froggy55” :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

Hiya,
I remember reading in the long gone Headlight “mag” about the exported
Fodens to Portugal and the only reason that they was re-named Poden
was because seemingly Foden or similar is a rude word over there, funny
how items of rubbish from all those years ago stick in the memory though
what adorned my breakfast plate is a complete mystery.

Thanks, Dean, for this new opportunity to update my knowledge on trucking history. Nevertheless, I still igore what Foden means in Portuguese… Certainly a dirty word, but which?

Froggy55:
Thanks, Dean, for this new opportunity to update my knowledge on trucking history. Nevertheless, I still igore what Foden means in Portuguese… Certainly a dirty word, but which?

OK, I´ll risk it and see what happens… ■■■■.

Edit. Well that did not work! I give up. I guess this is not permitted to protect our tender and growing minds.

I’ll ask my Portuguese houseworker next time I see her.

A few beautifully reconditionned Saurers, as our Swiss friends love them.
baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/ … 3&page=909

Saurer D330BF SZM 6x4 Solo Tschudy CH.jpg

The D 330 was powered by a 12 litre turbocharged 6 cylinder Saurer diesel. Saurer’s last model before the end in 1982.

Froggy55:
A few beautifully reconditionned Saurer.

Beautiful lorries, always seemed well put together, good looking whether its in artic, 4, or 8 wheeler form…no wonder the Swiss love then…

michel:
Chereau also built cabs ,mainly on Saviem lorries.

Michel…perhaps you could re-size your photos, I’ve noticed that a lot of your picture have the front of the vehicles cut off…i normally use 800 to 850 X to get the whole thing in… :wink: