Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:
I was looking on the internet site of one the bigger second hand sellers in Holland recently, and they had some AE’s and Magnums for sale, cheapest was 5k… one in good condition was only €8000… I was tempted I must admit…

I keep hinting that Dave Junior should add one, a 6x4 , to his collection, but I don’t think he’s got any room left…although he could always leave it here for me to play with… :wink:

Fergie47:

pv83:
I was looking on the internet site of one the bigger second hand sellers in Holland recently, and they had some AE’s and Magnums for sale, cheapest was 5k… one in good condition was only €8000… I was tempted I must admit…

I keep hinting that Dave Junior should add one, a 6x4 , to his collection, but I don’t think he’s got any room left…although he could always leave it here for me to play with… :wink:

A 6x4, now that would be something like the holy grail! Can’t imagine they sold much of those, let alone that there are still some “survivors”…

Wouldn’t do you any good mate, can’t use it as a lawn mower anymore at your premises! :wink:

Hi Dave ? are you telling me dad over payed you

DISPATCHER:
Hi Dave ? are you telling me dad over payed you

Hello Chris…hope you’re keeping safe.

It was worth it, under paid or over paid, great teenage years, working on, driving around the yard in those big old Leyland and Scammells, and ( don’t tell anyone) on the road too, especially on breakdowns. What an experience and training ground for later on today in life…at the time you don’t think or perhaps realise that those early working years can make you…or break you…glad to say it made me… :wink:

Exploring the village today on the push bikes, tucked away in a garage on a small artisan estate was this little local classic. Will find out more about it when the place is open…

IMG_20200524_135635.jpg

Hi Dave
Alls fine here thanks ,hope your both fine your side of the ditch, keep them French heavies photos coming they are great.
remember drove my first 8 legger (CCB141) when i was about 11/12 (off road) in bednam, Gosport.

Dave’s fire truck is a Berliek GAK 19 or GAK 20, powered by a Hotchkiss 6-cylinder 150 bhp petrol engine.

Froggy55:
Dave’s fire truck is a Berliek GAK 19 or GAK 20, powered by a Hotchkiss 6-cylinder 150 bhp petrol engine.

Thanks Paul, it’s in pretty good condition, and if it’s spent all its working life in the village I doubt it’s got many Kms on it…ideal show lorry with that crew cab, you’d get cooking facilities and a good up bunk in it, just have to persuade Mrs F to give up the idea of a new kitchen and invest in a Berliet instead…fat chance… :unamused:

Froggy55:

Froggy,

Is a Hotchkiss engine American,as in Hotchkiss “Jeep”?

David

5thwheel:

Froggy55:

Froggy,

Is a Hotchkiss engine American,as in Hotchkiss “Jeep”?

David

Hotchkiss were a French vehicle and engine maker, the Bullnose Morris Oxfords had Hotchiss engines which is why for many years Morris engines had metric threads in the cylinder blocks but imperial elsewhere on the rest of the engines.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,an interesting answer,cheers.

David

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Thanks Paul, it’s in pretty good condition, and if it’s spent all its working life in the village I doubt it’s got many Kms on it…ideal show lorry with that crew cab, you’d get cooking facilities and a good up bunk in it, just have to persuade Mrs F to give up the idea of a new kitchen and invest in a Berliet instead…fat chance… :unamused:

A very pleasant and comfortable cab, but greedy petrol engine. Certainly Mrs F will ask you how many steak & kidney pies she could cook with the amount of petrol you’ll need to go round the village with it…

Notice anything odd about the Renault?
youtu.be/SiBwsn6uIow

According to the sound of its engine, i’d say it’s a V8; then probably a R 420.

Extended doors. Don’t remember those coming out of the factory, but I mightbbe wrong.

I think you are both right.

Sounds like a V8 and the doors are about a foot deeper. I suppose the extra depth to the doors was either cosmetic (which I find odd) or simply to keep the step clean. Waste of money on both counts i reckon.

Or have we missed something else?

Dipster:
I think you are both right.

Sounds like a V8 and the doors are about a foot deeper. I suppose the extra depth to the doors was either cosmetic (which I find odd) or simply to keep the step clean. Waste of money on both counts i reckon.

Or have we missed something else?

Transcontinental doors ?

A relax cab. but not sure it says Berliet on the badge…or does it ? any ideas ?

Fergie47:

Morning Dave,
Hope all is well?
It is a Berliet TAK model according to the search I’ve done on bing! Looks very crude fit around the front of the cab and the grill, Cheer’s Pete

Fergie47:

Obviously a Berliet TAK fitted with a grille taken on a Berliet fitted with the 15-litres engine such as the GBO. Probably following the fitting of a bigger engine.

This one is a 1970 TAK fitted with a 12 litres engine. It was for sale when I photographed it quite near from where I live 3 or 4 years ago. Everything seemed stuck or blocked: engine, gearbox, transmission. The only equipment I managed to bring back to life was the lights. No idea what has become of it since then.