Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:

Dipster:

Fergie47:
Test picture, new Linux system

. I always thought those old Berliets were as tough as old nails.

They were, and when you see one in real life you can see why, solid as a rock, like all the old stuff, made to last.

I used to see loads of them when I worked in West Africa. Mostly 6x4 tractors. The factory yellow painted cabs seem to predominate, matched the red oxide chassis paint a treat too! Fantastic beasts. Probably many are still about too!

African Berliet TBH 6x4 .

michel:

I think the sheet and roping police will have something to say about that effort! :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

michel:

I think the sheet and roping police will have something to say about that effort! :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Hiya,
And yes Kev and when asked what he does for a living I’ll bet he says
he’s a lorry driver, what a mess.

Fergie47:
Test picture, new Linux system

This could probably be called a GLM 10 6x2, but the model was never available in France with a liftable axle. I had the opportunity to drive most models of M3 bonneted Berliet (4 & 6 wheelers). They were indeed toughly built and, as soon as you had got used to the non-synchromeshed gearbox, were rather pleasant to drive. The driving position was very good and the day-cab rather spacious. Nevertheless, they were noisy, slow and there was very little vibration damping.

This one, a 1975 GBH 260, was fitted with a cable-operated skip. A very awkward system, because the cable often tangled in the winch, when you unwinded it empty.

Same equipment for this slightly older (1972) GBH 12 6x4. Both were exported to Nigeria where they certainly endured a hard end of life.

The Berliet 6x2 was designed as a GPS 12 only sold on the Spanish market by Sava. This one is preserved after a complete restoration.

The “Milsa” 6 wheeler further up the page had a similar badge- like a Berliet locomotive, with an “S” in it. I guess the “S” was for Sava. The internet does not yield any explanation for Milsa.

Perhaps Milsa was the owner company name ?

michel:
Perhaps Milsa was the owner company name ?

…or supplying dealer? Looks like a lroper badge, but my internet search reveals nothing, so your explanation is as good as it gets. :smiley:

A Dutch AEC Matador from possibly DRU (stoves) from Ulft in Gelderland the centre of Holland.

Netherlands.

Morning Fergie,
All well in France I hope?
Have a look on the South Wales thread mate, Andrew Cooper is restoring a Renault Magnum, you told Whips and myself 3 years ago they would be a future classic!
Stay Safe, Best Wishes to Liz and Yourself

pete smith:
Morning Fergie,
Have a look on the South Wales thread mate, Andrew Cooper is restoring a Renault Magnum, you told Whips and myself 3 years ago they would be a future classic!

Cheers Pete,cadre both well and France is still fantastic…

The Magnum is still popular here, one company about 25km away runs about a dozen…the one below was in our old village, he paid 7500 euro with less than 600.000 km, he uses it for marquee tpt, had it 3 years and hasn’t done a lot of Kms, it should last a while…
The “modern transcontinental”…buy now while they’re cheap… :unamused:

IMG_20181021_151822_1.jpg

Difficult to admit that the Magnum, still one of the most modern trucks to my opinion, is now considered as being “vintage”! One should never get old… :cry:

Froggy55:
Difficult to admit that the Magnum, still one of the most modern trucks to my opinion, is now considered as being “vintage”! One should never get old… :cry:

I agree Paul, I think getting old plays a part too, like you don’t want to admit you drove them, now they’re deemed classics…bit like 10 euros is still a lot of money to us oldies, yet it just about buys a coffee and a bun…£10 use to last us all week with 5 nights out in digs, lunch and copious amounts of cafe stops… :unamused:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

I agree Paul, I think getting old plays a part too, like you don’t want to admit you drove them, now they’re deemed classics…bit like 10 euros is still a lot of money to us oldies, yet it just about buys a coffee and a bun…£10 use to last us all week with 5 nights out in digs, lunch and copious amounts of cafe stops… :unamused:

Yesterday I was just explaining to my son how my Dad used to give me half a crown (of course I had to explain what that related to nowadays) each day when I went to school back in the early 60´s. This was for my bus fares and lunch. But I was the envy of my mates as I could do so much that that! I probably really needed only half that amount but my Dad was generous. What does the equivalent get a kid now?

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Morning Fergie,

Cheers Pete,cadre both well and France is still fantastic…

The Magnum is still popular here, one company about 25km away runs about a dozen…the one below was in our old village, he paid 7500 euro with less than 600.000 km, he uses it for marquee tpt, had it 3 years and hasn’t done a lot of Kms, it should last a while…
The “modern transcontinental”…buy now while they’re cheap… :unamused:

I was looking on the internet site of one the bigger second hand sellers in Holland recently, and they had some AE’s and Magnums for sale, cheapest was 5k… one in good condition was only €8000… I was tempted I must admit…

Dipster:
Yesterday I was just explaining to my son how my Dad used to give me half a crown (of course I had to explain what that related to nowadays) each day when I went to school back in the early 60´s. This was for my bus fares and lunch. But I was the envy of my mates as I could do so much that that! I probably really needed only half that amount but my Dad was generous. What does the equivalent get a kid now?

Hell Dipster, you were wealthy, half a crown, didn’t get that till I was 20 !!! I remember queueing up at junior school to buy biscuits at morning break, 4 for a penny, not many kids could afford that, but you’d get one for a farthing, and 2 for a halfpenny…I use to wait till most had been served, flatter the girls serving, and got the broken ones for halfpenny a handful (biscuits that is, I was only 5)…my first job, apprentice fitter, £2.15.0. me mum took a quid, bus fares, and buying tools left about 15 shillings, I felt that was real wealth… :unamused: :wink: :blush: :cry:

Froggy55:

I remember seeing them in Amsterdam at the RAI for the first time, it was the Dutch introduction too if I remember correctly, their appearance had quite an impact, as they looked so different than the rest… talking about getting old… And I’m still the whippersnapper on here remember :wink: