Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:
Exploring the village today on the push bikes, tucked away in a garage on a small artisan estate was this little local classic. Will find out more about it when the place is open…

Good to see there are some classics out there too Senior :wink: And let’s not forget the estate car on the left, is that a Renault?

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
A relax cab. but not sure it says Berliet on the badge…or does it ? any ideas ?

Obviously a Berliet TAK fitted with a grille taken on a Berliet fitted with the 15-litres engine such as the GBO. Probably following the fitting of a bigger engine.

0This one is a 1970 TAK fitted with a 12 litres engine. It was for sale when I photographed it quite near from where I live 3 or 4 years ago. Everything seemed stuck or blocked: engine, gearbox, transmission. The only equipment I managed to bring back to life was the lights. No idea what has become of it since then.

I knew I saw something similar before, it does look a bit odd though doesn’t it? As if a a Relax cab was backed into a bonneted version… can’t imagine they sold many, purely because of how it looks… but then again, it would be a proper classic nowadays?

pv83:

Fergie47:
Exploring the village today on the push bikes, tucked away in a garage on a small artisan estate was this little local classic. Will find out more about it when the place is open…

Good to see there are some classics out there too Senior :wink: And let’s not forget the estate car on the left, is that a Renault?

It is a Renault 12. I suspect it too was part of the Sapeurs Pompiers (fire brigade) of the village.

I’ve found some stuff of what the Belgians used in the 50’s up until the 80’s. Quite interesting to say the least!

83793030_4323044657735806_8150089662686298112_n.jpg

pv83:
I’ve found some stuff of what the Belgians used in the 50’s up until the 80’s. Quite interesting to say the least!

Interesting stuff, as often with you, Patrick! I have some doubts the first one has been used until the eighties. Any idea about the big Van Gaever six-wheeler? Its front wheels look like the ones of ex-WW II Macks. The last one must be a Miesse, but several remain mysteries to me.

Mack NR14 with Henschel engine in Belgium.

pv83:

Photo 9…,pretty sure it’s an AEC.

Nice

Berliet TR 250 with 2 beds , like the Bulgarian fleet bought some in the 70 th.

Froggy55:

pv83:

Interesting stuff, as often with you, Patrick! I have some doubts the first one has been used until the eighties. Any idea about the big Van Gaever six-wheeler? Its front wheels look like the ones of ex-WW II Macks. The last one must be a Miesse, but several remain mysteries to me.

Cheers Paul. And you’re probably right about some of them not making it into the 80s, however, I remember tagging along with my dad in the late 80s and they were still running some stuff from the 60s at the docks… must have been quite some tough built wagons as they got some abuse…

Can’t tell you more about the Van Gaever one I’m afraid, maybe the more experienced viewers on here might know a bit more?

Fergie47:

pv83:

The badge on the bonnet looks like a AEC one doesn’t it?

robthedog:
Nice

The other day I was having a conversation with a fellow “Francophile” and eventually we ended up discussing the yellow light bulbs the French used to have. Was this a French law at the time? Because it certainly made a difference when you were driving at night and oncoming traffic wasn’t blinding you with their headlights as they do now in some cases. But I’ve never seen yellow light bulbs outside France, so I always assumed it was a French law…?

pv83:

Fergie47:

pv83:

Isn’t it a standard export AEC Moghul?

pv83:

robthedog:
Nice

The other day I was having a conversation with a fellow “Francophile” and eventually we ended up discussing the yellow light bulbs the French used to have. Was this a French law at the time? Because it certainly made a difference when you were driving at night and oncoming traffic wasn’t blinding you with their headlights as they do now in some cases. But I’ve never seen yellow light bulbs outside France, so I always assumed it was a French law…?

Not sure whether it was a legal requirement or not Whips, but certainly most French vehicles in the late sixties and seventies had them. I was told that they were better when in fog, (or smog in cities, ?) I’ve collected a few over the years and a while back I fitted one of them on to a bike that had twin headlights, one yellow, one white, not for any other reason than I thought, safety, it might make people take a second look when pulling out of a junction…
Our neighbor has a 2cv with them in, maybe it’s because it’s a “vehicle collection” its age means it can still have them… modern flash looking headlamps are all hi-tech, so can’t see them doing yellow just for the French market…but I’m guessing that with EU rules, you can only have white lights facing forward…
Hopefully one of our European lads will be along to tell us the real reason…

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

Fergie47:

pv83:

Isn’t it a standard export AEC Moghul?

Its an AEC Mammoth.

Heres a Moghul.

aec mogul 622.PNG

Fergie47:

pv83:

robthedog:
Nice

Not sure whether it was a legal requirement or not Whips, but certainly most French vehicles in the late sixties and seventies had them. I was told that they were better when in fog, (or smog in cities, ?) I’ve collected a few over the years and a while back I fitted one of them on to a bike that had twin headlights, one yellow, one white, not for any other reason than I thought, safety, it might make people take a second look when pulling out of a junction…
Our neighbor has a 2cv with them in, maybe it’s because it’s a “vehicle collection” its age means it can still have them… modern flash looking headlamps are all hi-tech, so can’t see them doing yellow just for the French market…but I’m guessing that with EU rules, you can only have white lights facing forward…
Hopefully one of our European lads will be along to tell us the real reason…

1st time my dad went to st tropez, spot the yellow headlights, he went to great lengths to find the legalities for the trip,
Tony

IIRC, you used to be able to get yellow covers, moulded to fit the shapes of popular vehicles’ headlamps, possibly including a black bar to prevent dazzling the foreigners :smiley: . I think there is some discussion of the same in this thread.

We could do with a contents page or an index.

[zb]
anorak:
IIRC, you used to be able to get yellow covers, moulded to fit the shapes of popular vehicles’ headlamps, possibly including a black bar to prevent dazzling the foreigners :smiley: . I think there is some discussion of the same in this thread.

We could do with a contents page or an index.

Most motor accessory shops sold the covers and they were popular. Also the black tape to change the dip pattern. Of course back then most headlamps were round, it wouldn’t be so easy now.

Pete.

You could also get an aerosol, i think, paint that tinted the lens i did this on my Astra around 1990 when i travelled to the South of France.It stayed on for months when i got back then gradually with washing the car eventually started to fade. The tint definitely reduced dazzle from oncoming vehicles, it was a good idea.

Old working wagons