Sainsburys/Asda merger

truckyboy:
On the news last night…the boss of sainsburys said they will reduce the price of everyday items by 10%…so i believe its the suppliers who will be hit, as most of these big companies are of the same attitude…`take it …or leave it

That seems to fit what I’ve said.No supplier is going to hand over a quality product for less return or take the same return as a lower quality product.In which case it’s not the suppliers that take the hit it’s firstly the customer.Who gets caught once and then walks away and buys the better quality product they were buying at Sainsburys elsewhere.The problem then being too many people looking for the better quality stuff elsewhere and the shops selling the better stuff can’t cater for all the added demand caused by the fleeing customers.

Carryfast:

truckyboy:
On the news last night…the boss of sainsburys said they will reduce the price of everyday items by 10%…so i believe its the suppliers who will be hit, as most of these big companies are of the same attitude…`take it …or leave it

That seems to fit what I’ve said.No supplier is going to hand over a quality product for less return or take the same return as a lower quality product.In which case it’s not the suppliers that take the hit it’s firstly the customer.Who gets caught once and then walks away and buys the better quality product they were buying at Sainsburys elsewhere.The problem then being too many people looking for the better quality stuff elsewhere and the shops selling the better stuff can’t cater for all the added demand caused by the fleeing customers.

If you’re struggling to find decent bacon find a place that stocks this. Proper old fashioned style bacon Naked Bacon tasted on ITV's Good Morning Britain - Finnebrogue

switchlogic:
If you’re struggling to find decent bacon find a place that stocks this. Proper old fashioned style bacon Naked Bacon tasted on ITV's Good Morning Britain - Finnebrogue

This is what I usually got from Sainsburys

img.mysupermarket.co.uk/Live/Pro … 455877.jpg

but it now seems like different stuff it’s leaner,too much salt and tough.The loin roasting joints are similar not enough fat,dry and tough as a result.The stuff in your pic looks similar.Given up on the bacon so far until I find something better again.

The Roasting loin joint is no problem.This stuff is amazing loads of fat which melts into the meat and a nice soft flavour just so long as they keep buying it.Haven’t seen any bacon there from these though but will try it if I see it.

twitter.com/trussliz/status/908 … 82?lang=en

While I buy Waitrose dry aged rib eye or Sirloin Beef.

Franglais:

bald bloke:

GORDON 50:
Makes me wonder what will happen where I live, there’s a big Sainsburys on a roundabout and an Asda on the opposite side of the road.
And Dartford, where there’s a Sainsburys RDC on one side of the bridge and an Asda one on the other.

Same here in Bristol we have a Sainsburys ambient/chilled RDC and an Asda chilled RDC and over in Chepstow an ambient RDC so eventually something will have to give .

Eventually there would be “rationalisation” issues but unless one if those RDCs is only running at 50% changes won’t be overnight.
Same with shops too? Closing one and expecting twice the footfall and car parking in the remaining one ain’t realistic.
Changes would come but not overnight.
So long as consumers buy the same amount of baked beans and toilet rolls will the total amount of transport change much?
Changes then as our RDC is running at around 55% but it’s a new depot.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

GORDON 50:
Made me laugh when Sainsburys boss said ‘there will be no job losses’ but added ‘as a result of this merger’. Take that as meaning there will be job losses but only after the dust settles, which can then be attributed to ‘streamlining’ or some other corporate twaddle.

Well spotted.

If this goes through, and Sainsburys are allowed to buy the whole lot of ASDA stores being offloaded by Walmart…

Then guess what?

The CMA will probably force the newly expanded Sainsburys to offload some of those stores, rather than take them all on board at once.

Sainsbury might choose to close down some of their own stores, (Job losses there) or ditch some of the incoming ASDA stores, especially where there is now “Overlap”. (Job losses there)

Then there’s the distribution Hubs. Dartford Sainsburys isn’t far from Erith ASDA for example… There’s going to be some duplication. MORE job losses, both sides.

“But what if the stores can be sold on as a going concern?”

Not likely. Sainsburys will be forced to ditch a certain number of stores, which presumably Sainsbury get to pick.

These stores, being the duff ones that either lose money and/or are in less desirable areas - who is going to buy them?
There’s only the possibility of selling on to Tescos - and they might say “No thanks!” Sold stores get closed down in the end, crystalizing those job losses. :frowning:

bald bloke:

GORDON 50:
Made me laugh when Sainsburys boss said ‘there will be no job losses’ but added ‘as a result of this merger’. Take that as meaning there will be job losses but only after the dust settles, which can then be attributed to ‘streamlining’ or some other corporate twaddle.

Well spotted.

Yes indeed.

“Streamlining”

We said one thing, but lied and meant another. We use the word “Streamlining” to cover everything and anything we might do in the future, that’ll be 99.999 reoccuring percent mean job losses. :angry:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

truckyboy:

All the way from “Gods country” Luke!!!

Dennis Lynn has built up a good business there.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

One thing no one has mentioned is Argos.

I see the merger as the death knell of the stand alone Argos stores.

As Sainsburys already own Argos and are now selling Argos products in some branches they will set up Argos in Asda stores eliminating the need for Argos branches across the country thus saving on rent, rates, wages and distribution costs and also sell any Argos property located in prime locations that they own.

moomooland:

As Sainsburys already own Argos and are now selling Argos products in some branches they will set up Argos in Asda stores eliminating the need for Argos branches across the country thus saving on rent, rates, wages and distribution costs and also sell any Argos property located in prime locations that they own.

Very true because your never far from an Asda or a Sainsburys store are you. So at the moment do Argos deliver direct to a Sainsburys store or does it go in via a Sainsburys RDC ?

bald bloke:
Very true because your never far from an Asda or a Sainsburys store are you. So at the moment do Argos deliver direct to a Sainsburys store or does it go in via a Sainsburys RDC ?

In the Northwest it’s a bit of both at the moment some is taken from Heywood into Sainsburys RDC at Haydock for onward delivery the rest direct to Sainsburys stores from Argos RDC at Heywood.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

truckyboy:

I’m finding the same thing as Carryfast, doesn’t seem to matter what bacon I buy and I buy the better quality stuff, organic, air dried etc, the flavour just isn’t making my mouth water these days. I’m willing to concede it might be my age :grimacing: , but I’ll give this a try as my local Waitrose appear to stock it. Bacon, this is your last chance!!!

bald bloke:

moomooland:

In NI the same Sainsburys units are used to deliver to Sainsburys with their own trailers and then in turn hook into an Argos van/Decker and deliver thsee into the Argos stores.
Contract all covered by DFDS.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

moomooland:

This has been the long term plan for Argos well before the merger,as leases finish in the Argos buildings if there is a Sainsbury’s nearby that can accommodate the Argos then the leases ain’t being renewed and the Argos is being moved into the Sainsbury’s.
This has been ongoing for a number of years and most standalone Argos’s are only left because they have a lease to pay.

Winseer:
If this goes through, and Sainsburys are allowed to buy the whole lot of ASDA stores being offloaded by Walmart…

Then guess what?

The CMA will probably force the newly expanded Sainsburys to offload some of those stores, rather than take them all on board at once.

Sainsbury might choose to close down some of their own stores, (Job losses there) or ditch some of the incoming ASDA stores, especially where there is now “Overlap”. (Job losses there)

Then there’s the distribution Hubs. Dartford Sainsburys isn’t far from Erith ASDA for example… There’s going to be some duplication. MORE job losses, both sides.

“But what if the stores can be sold on as a going concern?”

Not likely. Sainsburys will be forced to ditch a certain number of stores, which presumably Sainsbury get to pick.

These stores, being the duff ones that either lose money and/or are in less desirable areas - who is going to buy them?
There’s only the possibility of selling on to Tescos - and they might say “No thanks!” Sold stores get closed down in the end, crystalizing those job losses. :frowning:

I’d guess that closing down all the relevant stores in the South East at least and selling off the sites for housing development will probably pay for much of the deal if not all of it.It would be interesting to see what the Cobham site is worth alone in that regard.IE effectively a deal which means that Sainsburys and Asda are no longer competitors in a tight market.Also with the win win of a lucrative real estate sell off.What’s not to like from their share holders’ and management point of view. :bulb:

TiredAndEmotional:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

truckyboy:

I’m finding the same thing as Carryfast, doesn’t seem to matter what bacon I buy and I buy the better quality stuff, organic, air dried etc, the flavour just isn’t making my mouth water these days. I’m willing to concede it might be my age :grimacing: , but I’ll give this a try as my local Waitrose appear to stock it. Bacon, this is your last chance!!!

Have you ever thought about making your own? My mum does, buys a big loin joint Make your own bacon | Food | The Guardian

The area where the merged company would do well - would be the south thames estury area, all the way downriver from Woolwich.

There, you have one of each depot, a number of large Asdas, and smaller Sainsburys - and most importantly a dearth of Tesco Extra stores.

Woolwich isn’t a big one, and there’s no bigguns in Erith, Dartford, Gravesend, or Chatham - where you finally get an tescos extra store in Gillingham.

On the North side of the estuary on the other hand - there are large tescos all over the place, the biggest being at Pitsea. Dunno where the largest Sainsbury or Asda stores are north of the river, as I can’t say I’ve ever found them - let alone frequented them.

Any asda company drivers on here ? I know they have agency drivers but wondered if there has been any change to company drivers ? I just retired as a driver from wal mart in the US and they have drastically cut up the private fleet, in fact the general opinion by the drivers is that they are planning to axe their own drivers and give it to a logistics firm. Management call this a new direction, it’s not getting rid of drivers, mechanics and office staff but, as said by someone before, they use the term ‘streamlining’.

I hope not too many drivers get ‘displaced’ (another corporate b/s buzz word) from this merger but there always seems to be ‘collateral’ damage.

■■■■, i’m getting good at talking like management !

remy:
Any asda company drivers on here ? I know they have agency drivers but wondered if there has been any change to company drivers ? I just retired as a driver from wal mart in the US and they have drastically cut up the private fleet, in fact the general opinion by the drivers is that they are planning to axe their own drivers and give it to a logistics firm. Management call this a new direction, it’s not getting rid of drivers, mechanics and office staff but, as said by someone before, they use the term ‘streamlining’.

I hope not too many drivers get ‘displaced’ (another corporate b/s buzz word) from this merger but there always seems to be ‘collateral’ damage.

There will be job losses, Asda as far is I am aware have their transport in house and Sainsbury’s is contracted out.

Whichever way it goes there will be job losses as the merger is all about cutting costs, working for the big supermarkets in the UK is generally seen as a good job.

Out of interest how much on average would a driver in the US earn doing such type of work?

remy:

I work for Asda and it’s far too early to speculate about job losses yet, our depot is relatively new and running at around 60% capacity so I’m guessing we would be reasonably safe but we are not expecting anything to change until well into next year.