Sainsburys/Asda merger

Andrejs:
If this happened that to many lorry drivers can lost job.And not just who work for Asda or Saisbury but as well to many supplyers drivers.

I can see some jobs going through consolidation of depots etc, but the total amounts if goods sold to the public will be the same, so pretty much same amount of vehicles and drivers, surely?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Andrejs:
If this happened that to many lorry drivers can lost job.And not just who work for Asda or Saisbury but as well to many supplyers drivers.

I can see some jobs going through consolidation of depots etc, but the total amounts if goods sold to the public will be the same, so pretty much same amount of vehicles and drivers, surely?

Good question.For examply how many collection NFT do by Nft Asda nft Saisbury by 2 truck and total collect 20 pallets.To many truck go not full to any RDC?CDC.In next 2-3 years Tesco possible will closed some booker depo and start use carusel to delivery and will required less drives.Example .Before Homebase ,Co-op in Coventry was running by in house and do one way delivery and back to depo empty or with cages.Now this contract win Stobart.Stobart do same delivery but after he sent same truck to collection to somewhere,delivery to somewhere and just after back to depo.Less drivers required in industry,less CO2,more profitable.

We don t know exactly about all.May be they just talk who merged.But in real situation may be Walmart want sald business and leave UK market due Brexit and low profitable.

Andrejs:
We don t know exactly about all.May be they just talk who merged.But in real situation may be Walmart want sald business and leave UK market due Brexit and low profitable.

Maybe WalMart predict more UK / USA trade after Brexit?

Franglais:

Andrejs:

Maybe WalMart predict more UK / USA trade after Brexit?

Asda ready long time was sale just just.And they don t have small store.I don t think who after Brexit UK?USA trade go up in supermarket.Plus supermarket same sale British stuff or wharever.They simply need some profit from sale and get good turnovel.but no difference sold UK yogurt or USA or from France.In most situation supermarket buy stuff from UK registred wholesale companies but not direct from somewhere.

Andrejs:
but no difference sold UK yogurt or USA or from France

Not so. Currently French, and all EU, yogurt is in free circulation in the UK. No taxes, no welfare or other checks; we all produce milk under the same regs already. Any USA dairy produce has to has to be examined at point of import and may be subject to tariffs and quotas. The USA has different rules than the EU regarding hygiene, animal welfare, feeding of drugs to livestock etc.

Andrejs:
In most situation supermarket buy stuff from UK registred wholesale companies but not direct from somewhere.

The big supermarkets do deal directly with producers, down to individual producer / single farmer level.

simcor:

bald bloke:

pierrot 14:

Sainsbury’s and Asda are in “advanced discussions” regarding a possible merger, which would create a group of up to 2,800 stores.

The move would, if approved, give the new combined company control of just under 30% of the UK grocery sector and stun rivals including Tesco and Morrisons.

It has been reported that the brand names would remain, at least initially.

I know it’s not a done thing yet but, should/when it happens how do you think it will affect driving jobs within these two companies??

Interesting times ahead hopefully I’ll keep me job as I’m very happy there but time will tell but not overly keen on being employed by DHL !!

The only sainsburys rdc I know of that’s run by DHL is Stoke pretty sure the rest are all run by someone else like Wincanton or someone else. I could be wrong of course but it’s the only one I personally know of that’s run by DHL.

East Kilbride DC run by DHL who in turn ship loads over to NI stores which is run by DFDS DC at West bank Rd Belfast.
Majority of that DC is now run by Manfreight!!![emoji848][emoji50]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Andrejs:
but no difference sold UK yogurt or USA or from France

Not so. Currently French, and all EU, yogurt is in free circulation in the UK. No taxes, no welfare or other checks; we all produce milk under the same regs already. Any USA dairy produce has to has to be examined at point of import and may be subject to tariffs and quotas. The USA has different rules than the EU regarding hygiene, animal welfare, feeding of drugs to livestock etc.

Andrejs:
In most situation supermarket buy stuff from UK registred wholesale companies but not direct from somewhere.

The big supermarkets do deal directly with producers, down to individual producer / single farmer level.

Good question.Any UK supermarket not buy stuff from Nestle France or wharever.They buy from Nestle UK Ltd who have reg and office in UK.And most stuff from USA company buy from some general motors Uk ltd.Yes all stuff must maked by Uk rulles or EU.But anyway supermarket ineteres just one get profit from sale.But if people start buy more France yogurt that they will buy less UK yogurt.If here will be more USA stuff that will be less EU or Uk stuff.

A new megamarket - will bully farmers even more, rest assured.

Also, looking at previous failed ventures of UK supermarkets like Tesco into the USA - I’d say we need draw a line in letting a British Institution like Sainsburys be yet another firm bought out by some yank outfit, and thrown under the bus straight after, like Cadbury was by Kraft. :angry:

SouthEastCashew:

Carryfast:
Probably explains the drop in quality of Sainsbury’s stuff.I’ve given up on their previously superb pork products for example from bacon to ham to loin roasting joints.It’s now a case of would you like some over lean bacon and ham with all the salt and too lean ham and pork which is tough enough as a result to make truck tyres out of.Also stopped the ham on the bone on the deli counter in favour of only foreign moulded plastic looking muck.Their smoked salmon is similar too dry and salty and don’t even bother with their rib eye beef to make stroganoff now and who knows what happened to the delicious white crab meat when it’s now a case of also having to take a load of the dark zb which should go for cat food or leave it.Then you get to the check outs and find them all closed with no one to staff them except for one.If I wanted cheapo Asda quality and service that’s where I’d go to shop.

But I bet you continue to buy their stuff.

To be fair together with Waitrose it’s the most convenient supermarket to get to here and there’s loads of other generic groceries which I buy there so it’s certainly not the end of the world.But as I said I just avoid their meat products, especially Pork ones now and can usually get more acceptable stuff from Waitrose or M and S in that regard.Although getting decent bacon and ham seems to be a problem everywhere recently.Also don’t see any point in complaining about any of it because whatever downhill changes happen in terms of check out staff levels or product buying policy they’ll happen on the orders from a lot higher than local store management level.

Whatever the reasons it seems a coincidence that noticeable changes,which seem to have compromised such products and service levels,at the expense of the customer,seem to have happened as this deal suddenly appears.

Winseer:

Also, looking at previous failed ventures of UK supermarkets like Tesco into the USA - I’d say we need draw a line in letting a British Institution like Sainsburys be yet another firm bought out by some yank outfit, and thrown under the bus straight after, like Cadbury was by Kraft. :angry:

Unless Ive read it wrong Sainsbury are in the driving seat as its Walmart who want to unload Asda?

Winseer:

A bit of difference there. The Cadbury production was moved to Poland wasn’t it?
Moving Sainsbury’s London stores to Warsaw may not be such a successful idea.

Makes me wonder what will happen where I live, there’s a big Sainsburys on a roundabout and an Asda on the opposite side of the road.
And Dartford, where there’s a Sainsburys RDC on one side of the bridge and an Asda one on the other.

GORDON 50:
Makes me wonder what will happen where I live, there’s a big Sainsburys on a roundabout and an Asda on the opposite side of the road.
And Dartford, where there’s a Sainsburys RDC on one side of the bridge and an Asda one on the other.

Same here in Bristol we have a Sainsburys ambient/chilled RDC and an Asda chilled RDC and over in Chepstow an ambient RDC so eventually something will have to give .

On the news last night…the boss of sainsburys said they will reduce the price of everyday items by 10%…so i believe its the suppliers who will be hit, as most of these big companies are of the same attitude…take it ..or leave it …and this will reflect to suppliers/transport down the line…warehouses will connect, and make no mistake…there will be job losses…and we have been here before with milk prices…so another war will erupt there…but sure as chips are chips…this merger will be looked at…its not just a nod of the head anymore.

I am surprised that Walmart stuck it out as long as they have. I remember when they bought Asda, they had huge plans for expansion with Walmart style sheds going up all over the place. In America, their usual plan is to open a vast shed outside a town selling goods at rock-bottom prices (and paying rock-bottom wages). The local shops soon go out of business and they can put the prices (but not the wages) up.

What they failed to realise is just how difficult it is to find greenfield sites over here; the planning difficulties involved in building sheds, the low profit margins and the differences in the labour market. Add in the current trend towards more frequent shopping in more convenient shops with online shopping for staples, and they are probably sensible to get out while the business still has value.

Yes - there will be jobs lost; mostly warehouse operatives in the first instance, as more automation is adopted.

bald bloke:

GORDON 50:

Same here in Bristol we have a Sainsburys ambient/chilled RDC and an Asda chilled RDC and over in Chepstow an ambient RDC so eventually something will have to give .

Eventually there would be “rationalisation” issues but unless one if those RDCs is only running at 50% changes won’t be overnight.
Same with shops too? Closing one and expecting twice the footfall and car parking in the remaining one ain’t realistic.
Changes would come but not overnight.
So long as consumers buy the same amount of baked beans and toilet rolls will the total amount of transport change much?

GORDON 50:

I can’t see any impact for a long time, if ever at this location, right on the doorstep of one of the largest and wealthiest conurbations in the world.

truckyboy:
On the news last night…the boss of sainsburys said they will reduce the price of everyday items by 10%…so i believe its the suppliers who will be hit, as most of these big companies are of the same attitude…take it ..or leave it …and this will reflect to suppliers/transport down the line…warehouses will connect, and make no mistake…there will be job losses…and we have been here before with milk prices…so another war will erupt there…but sure as chips are chips…this merger will be looked at…its not just a nod of the head anymore.

The boss of Sainsbury’s is a liar…

Made me laugh when Sainsburys boss said ‘there will be no job losses’ but added ‘as a result of this merger’. Take that as meaning there will be job losses but only after the dust settles, which can then be attributed to ‘streamlining’ or some other corporate twaddle.