Tesco's taken over somerfields

just heard that tesco’s have bought over somerfield’s.this was from the staff in the bellshill shop.anybody else heard anything and how much it cost them :question:

kitkat:
just heard that tesco’s have bought over somerfield’s.this was from the staff in the bellshill shop.anybody else heard anything and how much it cost them :question:

£2.99 AND A BAG OF CHEESE N ONION. :wink:

i didnt think they were allowed to buy anyone on their own cos of what happened over morrisons buying safeway suddenly they all wanted safeways but they wernt allowed cos it would give them to much of the market share even morrisons had to sell some of the safeways stores to waitrose.

I still have some friends who work at Somerfield’s Sherburn site,and I haven’t heard from them as such,but I’ll make some enquiries first thing tomorrow morning,and post back tomorrow afternoon.

Ken.

jessicas dad:
i didnt think they were allowed to buy anyone on their own cos of what happened over morrisons buying safeway suddenly they all wanted safeways but they wernt allowed cos it would give them to much of the market share even morrisons had to sell some of the safeways stores to waitrose.

yes but didn’t somerfields not take over some of safeway’s smaller shops as well :question:

ohterry:

kitkat:

£2.99 AND A BAG OF CHEESE N ONION. :wink:

leave out the cheese and onion and you gotta deal :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Texaco and Somerfield to seal deal

SOMERFIELD is on the verge of tying up a deal with Texaco to buy 140 forecourt convenience shops, according to industry sources.

The companies signed a memorandum of understanding in February and the deal is expected to be finalised by 28 April after due diligence is completed. Texaco is in talks with other parties to sell the remaining 110 locations.

found this on the web, but no mention of tescos.

the staff at bellshill shop have just found out themselves today.the store is be closed and knocked down and rebuilt.in the mean time the staff will be sent to tesco’s at wishaw until new store reopens. :wink:

Somerfield has its HQ in Bristol. If anything were confirmed, it’d be headline news around here. It isn’t (AFAIK).

However, there are a number of people/companies looking to buy Somerfield:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4398809.stm
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4387597.stm

As jessicas dad said, I doubt that the M&M Commission would allow Tesco to buy them. They might be buying up the odd shop here & there to turn them into Tesco Expresses.

well i can only tell you what the staff are saying remember them people who work for the said company,but i suppose we’ll find out soon enough eh. :wink:

think its a one off mate. i work for exel somerfield at sherburn and they seem to be going ok. They have just taken 114 i think of the smaller safeway stores. and are looking to get more into forecourts. i think what it may be is that they have taken over a bigger unit in belshill that was ex safeway and are now selling on the other shop??

:laughing:

yes bones i can only go on what the staff are saying m8,i know that they took over x amount of smaller safeway stores,but they are closing this bellshill shop down and knocking it down and rebuilding it according to the staff there.i also know that they have since re-opened the distribution warehouse in fairfield ave in east kilbride as the dumfermline rdc could not handle the pressure of all the deliveries.but as i said i can only go on what i’v been told and as you work for them then you will ( or should) know more than me.but if you find anything out please let me know cheers m8. :wink:

First i’ve heard about it… !!! :open_mouth: but the news links kinda confirm that summut was on the cards…

They already have a few forecourt shops, but iirc they’re mostly BP… But I could be wrong…

It’ll be cuz of Tesco’s tho… Their little ‘quick stop shops’ and forecourts must be bringing in a substantial extra wedge over the normal supermarkets, so it’s obvious that SF are jumping on the band wagon…And rightly so, cuz there are too many tesco’s… Before long there’ll only be two food suppliers… Morrisons and tesco’s… !!!

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

well the store in question closes on the 21st of this month and the staff are moving to wishaw as said earlier.there is a company called calcarb next to this somerfield’s store who are moving premisies to the eurocentral ( i think to the old chung wa building).tesco’s has purchased all the surrounding land includding the land calcarb are on at the moment.once everything is out of the store it will be demolised and it will be re-built and ready for buisness in about 2 years. :wink:

Spoke to my mate this morning,who has been at Kwik Save/Somerfields,for about 15 years,and he says that what I told him was the first he’d heard of it,but for what it’s worth,BT Rolatruc,who supply all the fork lift/pallet truck equipment at Sherburn,have not had/have not themselves,renewed the contract,and it expires next month.

Ken.

:open_mouth: You’re all blind!!! Read Dave’s post again! It’s Somerfield to buy TEXACO[/b] forecourt shops - nothing to do with Tesco’s so why are you all raving on about Tesco’s ■■ :confused: :laughing:
By the way, all the motorway service stations that are ‘hosted’ by Texaco garages are having their shops changed to Somerfield too, including the main concourse shop. This is already in force at Baldock Service Area on the A1 where everything in the shop is being sold at normal Somerfield high street store prices and not the usual over-inflated prices you usually find. :bulb:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

I read this week that Somerfields board has agreed to a friendly take over but there have been 3 names put into the frame. One of them is Bauger, the Icelandic group who have just sold the Iceland chain back to a private consortium led by it’s founder Malcolm Walker (don’t mention the share sale from a couple of years ago :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ). I can’t remember who the other 2 interested parties were but Tesco wasn’t one of them.