roping and sheeting

coomsey:
:roll: 0
I for one have nothing to say !

Interesting picture, it looks like a West Australian configuration. Any more info, please?

coomsey:

Is it a Leyland Octopus ?

Star down under.:

coomsey:

Interesting picture, it looks like a West Australian configuration. Any more info, please?

Fraid not Sdu , I put it up to stir the you know what a bit :blush: :laughing:
She stands well mind. Cheers Coomsey

ramone:

coomsey:

Yes, model 22/O.1 with vacuum hydraulic brakes. As commented on earlier its braking performance wouldn’t have been a threat to load security, neither would it’s top speed.

ramone:

coomsey:

Ye, it’s an Otto, with a shortened load body and a 5th wheel at the end of the chassis, a sort of Foden Twinload with a bigger trailer. :slight_smile:

Hi Gf 32 mph with a good tail wind and send a telegram to the braking department when an emergency stop is required but despite all its faults the trusty old 0/600 would get to its destination eventually. The shortened platform behind the cab was known as a “poop deck” in NZ haulage circles.

Cheers Leyland 600

Well the good old Leyland 600 was a cracking engine IMO, Its just a pity that those awful vacum over fluid brakes were poor, Plus the 8 leggers only had brakes on three axles, But they did their job, Regards Larry.

coomsey:

Believe it or not - this company is still around!, originally called ‘Hi Speed’ Transport - they are now just plain old ‘Hi-Trans’, based here in Adelaide.
There are still loads of wool coming out of Adelaide too, fortunately I’ve only loaded wool in a curtainsider myself - and, even with a strap over each bale, you end up with lumps bulging out of the curtains in a very short time. I always though that strapping / roping wool is a bit like squeezing a balloon - as you squeeze one side, the same amount bulges out the other side.
Respect to the old Bradford wool men…

kmills:

coomsey:

Believe it or not - this company is still around!, originally called ‘Hi Speed’ Transport - they are now just plain old ‘Hi-Trans’, based here in Adelaide.
There are still loads of wool coming out of Adelaide too, fortunately I’ve only loaded wool in a curtainsider myself - and, even with a strap over each bale, you end up with lumps bulging out of the curtains in a very short time. I always though that strapping / roping wool is a bit like squeezing a balloon - as you squeeze one side, the same amount bulges out the other side.

Well IMO The Bradford boys were in a league of their own when it came down to loading and securing their load, They were tops, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, what is this “Handball” they keep talking about here on TNUK could this be what they mean. ?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

img274 London Brick MM.jpg

img273 Tancock handball 8000 bricks Exeter..jpg

Leyland600:
Hi Gf 32 mph with a good tail wind and send a telegram to the braking department when an emergency stop is required but despite all its faults the trusty old 0/600 would get to its destination eventually. The shortened platform behind the cab was known as a “poop deck” in NZ haulage circles.

Cheers Leyland 600

With the Gardner engine the brakes were not vacuum over oil , they were assisted by an oil pump driven off the engine . I wonder if the same applied to the Leyland engined ones ? Having said that , the linings were 5" woven asbestos so not a lot of stopping power.

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, what is this “Handball” they keep talking about here on TNUK could this be what they mean. ?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Don’t remind me! “Make a start, driver, and I’ll send the lads over when they’ve had their snap”

Star down under.:

coomsey:

I agree STU the wool carriers here in West Aus carried a tool box full of H pattern spikes as a bale was loaded it was spiked to the next bale so the whole load was attached to one another ,i only carried one road train load and borrowed some spikes off a mate and they worked well one strap per bale and off you went,lots of gravel sandy roads in the sheep country so not all plain sailing like the highways of the UK.

Cheers Dig

DIG:

Star down under.:

coomsey:

I agree STU the wool carriers here in West Aus carried a tool box full of H pattern spikes as a bale was loaded it was spiked to the next bale so the whole load was attached to one another ,i only carried one road train load and borrowed some spikes off a mate and they worked well one strap per bale and off you went,lots of gravel sandy roads in the sheep country so not all plain sailing like the highways of the UK.

Cheers Dig

There was a similar system here where they pinned the bales ,Les would be able to go into more detail

Na then CF just nip down tet mill round corner and put a full load of bales on … oh and dont forget your rule book , that should get you through it. You wont need a sheet if your book is right

Lawrence Dunbar:

kmills:

coomsey:

Well IMO The Bradford boys were in a league of their own when it came down to loading and securing their load, They were tops, Regards Larry.

Thanks for the kind words Larry. Les.

ramone:
Na then CF just nip down tet mill round corner and put a full load of bales on … oh and dont forget your rule book , that should get you through it. You wont need a sheet if your book is right

Don’t get me going again. :laughing: Les.

I pick up this 20yd bin every 4 weeks it’s all off cuts of new Formica and similar types of materials
If I don’t sheet and rope it whilst it’s on the deck the majority of it would slide off and fall off when I pick it up
I just wondered what advice Mr CF would give me in the art of load restraint in doing it another way
The elastic bungee on the sheet is only there for keeping it in place and not for load restraint

gazsa401:
I pick up this 20yd bin every 4 weeks it’s all off cuts of new Formica and similar types of materials
If I don’t sheet and rope it whilst it’s on the deck the majority of it would slide off and fall off when I pick it up
I just wondered what advice Mr CF would give me in the art of load restraint in doing it another way
The elastic bungee on the sheet is only there for keeping it in place and not for load restraint

Very dificult to do decent hitches that low down I would have thought, do you go round and redo them when you have it on board ?

Hiya,
Er’ I always wore gloves to do every job associated with road haulage,
except the driving bit, Why you may ask “or not even bother to ask” I
got knocked back by a gorgeous young lady because of the horrible
condition of my hands, I was single in those days, and I won’t need to
spell out where it was my intention to place my hands. Nuff said.