Roping & Sheeting

Sheeter:

. . . Did anyone ever do empty glass bottles?

Yes, plenty of them - and jars. Usually out of United Glass at Harlow, where nearly all the sheeting-up was done undercover in a roofed part of the factory. These photos were taken around the mid-1970s - the first two in the UG factory.

The Atki with the yellow sheeted load has to be the best sheeting I’ve seen on tnuk to date.

Tin hats @ the ready lol

phop:
Tin hats @ the ready lol

ha ha they do look well , top marks that man

frenchy:
Hi All
When learning our trade often an awkward load would crop up where speaders , double dollies and even dogs and chains would need to be used .
I got a Sylvester handle full in the mush while chaining down timber in the 60s.
If I hadnt been meself with my mouth open as usual I wouldnt have got away with just biting through my tongue , painful as it was then and it wasnt funny not being able to speak for a fortnight , Me Misses thought it funny though . 70s saw us chaining down containers on our semi lows on BRS ,but I remember a two day strike in Southampton around 71 to 72 to get trailers fitted with twistlocks , also if Im not wrong one of Bakers drivers was killed during that strike where a load of steel he was carrying moved and cut the cab in half , very sad . Yes it was always left to Drivers to force companies into safety . the Docks then followed suit and would turn away Lorries without twistlocks as well .
Frenchy

I remember a young bloke got killed at Stafford Road, Waddon, near Croydon. He braked for the lights and roped container slid forward crushing the poor bugger in the cab.

Used to get loads of glass down from the Leeds depot when I was on for Yardley and mostly fruit from the Gardens or the fields to go back. The markets was a good “getting chucked in at the deep end” start for a young bloke like wot I woz. Bloody porters surrounding you, chucking stuff on the trailer and calling out for your moniker. You had to try and get it on in the right order and stack it properly as well, and some of that stuff was bloody awkward. Trays of grapes; flimsy baskets of mushrooms; open trays of melons, etc, etc. Then you had to walk all over it to get your sheets on, often in the peeing rain… they were the days.

And those crates of Spanish tomatoes. They would crush under the weight of a rolled-up sheet!

Dan Punchard:

Sheeter:

Yes, plenty of them - and jars. Usually out of United Glass at Harlow, where nearly all the sheeting-up was done undercover in a roofed part of the factory. These photos were taken around the mid-1970s - the first two in the UG factory.

The Atki with the yellow sheeted load has to be the best sheeting I’ve seen on tnuk to date.

hiya,
One fail point on the yellow sheeted Atki, the front cross should have been hooked and
tightened at least another two hooks further back to gain maximum pull back, OK so I’m
a nit picking old git but that’s the way I would have done it and I’ve done plenty.
thanks harry, long retired.

Yer right 'arry. :slight_smile:

ROF from Sprog’s:
And those crates of Spanish tomatoes. They would crush under the weight of a rolled-up sheet!

And peaches… mind you, I used to half of them big Spanish ones. :grimacing:

harry_gill:

Dan Punchard:

Sheeter:

hiya,
One fail point on the yellow sheeted Atki, the front cross should have been hooked and
tightened at least another two hooks further back to gain maximum pull back, OK so I’m
a nit picking old git but that’s the way I would have done it and I’ve done plenty.

What abou this cross I would say it was a double cross “eh Harry”

hiya,
Fred can you remember the ropework that I used to put on the back it resembled
a Mercedes badge when pulled tight I can’t remember how I did it now, but I don’t
want anything to practice on, hope you and the good lady had a good Christmas
and good and prosperous New Year to follow, All the Best Mate.

harry_gill:

Dan Punchard:

Sheeter:

hiya,

I agree with “H” but apart from that minor critisism I think the Lad who sheeted and roped that load knows his stuff and could hold his own at any decent firm.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Very nice mr bewick, is there a reason for the landing legs being like that?

Bewick:

Not bad done one handed while hanging on at 17,600 mph wearing a space suit and gloves. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

0.tqn.com/d/space/1/0/6/7/1/7449835.jpg

who nicked the fly sheet.
Les.

There was a driver at Henry Longs who only had 1 arm ,he wouldn`t let anyone help him to rope and sheet :open_mouth:

ramone:
There was a driver at Henry Longs who only had 1 arm ,he wouldn`t let anyone help him to rope and sheet :open_mouth:

Hi, and his ropes were so tight you could play a tune on them, and as fast as anyone even loading wool.
Les.

The star like rear cross was known as a Dundee or Scotch Cross and probably originated in Scotland. On the Atky with yellow sheets, the front cross was certainly not taken back far enough and if you really want to be critical the dolly should always be pulled back from the top not the lower part, but yes it is a smart looking load. I did many loads ex Key Glass for Heinz, Standish usually Tomato Ketchup Bottles and also Pattersons of Glasgow with Camp Coffee Bottles, this was in the early 60’s…Tony.

lespullan:
who nicked the fly sheet.
Les.

It’s in the wash :smiley: