Decent trailers

Bender:

Bewick:
I dont know what “Bender” is rabbiting on about as all our trailers were well maintained(see pic below ‘borrowed’ from the Bewick thread.) IIRCthe winding handle on that “sole” Overlander were a bit waffy but the Cranes and the York’s were OK.He must have us mixed up with one of those “cowboy” outfits from N. Kent!!!Bewick.

Nope, the Yorks definitely had some dodgy handles, they also used to fold mid-wind. That old green trombone trailer was a pain as well. Maybe I had to use the landing legs more often than some others at that time.

I wasn’t working for any ‘North Kent’ outfits, by time they were going I’d moved on. When I worked full time for the outfit you may be referring to was stuck on a poxy D series…

Just spotted your photo of trailers loaded with poclain excavators,got me thinking of w.h.malcolms in the late 70s and on,we loaded hi-macs at rhymey for ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ sometimes unloaded them ourselves on the ramp at preston if they where short of mt trailers at heinz.remember had to watch the height with the larger tracked excavors,just went under bridge at johnstone fully extended. regards

pjldaf:
can anyone recommend the trailers made by cartwright Ive been looking at purchasing a new one

I wouldn’t bother myself

Hi, Folks , We ran all makes of trailors ,Eg YORK ,BTC ,BODEN, ,PEAK ,Crane ,BLUE LINE ,TASKER ,SCHAMELL, and a few others YORK . was ok but the Daddy of them all was the Crane f ,the best i have ever pulled light followed perfect ,And i canot ever remember putting any bushes in any arms or balance beams ,They always passed the mots ,Cheers Barry

Moose:

pjldaf:
can anyone recommend the trailers made by cartwright Ive been looking at purchasing a new one

I wouldn’t bother myself

From personal experience I can state that the steel that Cartwrights use is not of the very best quality.

Ste Burrow:
Just to show that some old trailers are still being used this is a 1972 Boden which we use on a regular basis. It was owned by Croppers of Kendal as it still has their name on it and is still green. It also has a Moffet Mounty kit on the back for deliveries we do as you can see it does stretch the sussies slightly!

And here it is with the pride of the fleet (with clean wheels) with about 20 ton of roofing sheet on farm deliveries. Parked at Londonderry Lodge.

Clean wheels? It hasn’t been in your yard lately, then :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Best- York, in the old days, then C.Fruehauf.
Worst- I had a 32foot Northern which weighed more than the load you could put on it.

boden:
Here’s a few more: Arrow

Pitt

Hands

Trailor

Booth

Primrose

There was a firm at Runcorn whose name escapes me, that had a go for a while, maybe early 80’s onwards but I only ever saw one, operated by Wharfe Bros from Mossley/Appleton with a double-deck cattle body. We seem to be getting two and three axle Montracons (fridges) at the moment through Grays. Some have the Mercedes star on the Hubs.

I don’t recall a trailer manufacturer in Runcorn ? but do know there was a company that made & fitted 5th wheels & landing legs - Dayton - Walther, who were bought out by VBG cheers B

In my experience the best kit was cranefruehauf chassis & curtainsiders were Boalloy ,fridges- gray & adams , just wondered what yours were?

I agree with you Crane Fruehauf chassis with Boalloy body the (Rolls Royce of trailers) they were good solid trailers we still have a few on our fleet, and can say they are better built than some of the newer cheaper makes we have.

They also come fitted with decent curtains from factory with the strap for the curtain buckle going to the curtain roller for extra load security and strength.

Pity boally are no longer making curtainsiders i think they sold up or went bust as For Fruehauf they only make Tipper trailers now im sure someone will quote me on that!

SDC trailers seem to be good trailers also see alot of those on the roads.

I agree, the Fruehauf/Boalloy combo is the best curtainsider you can get, the Freuhauf tipping trailers were also pretty good, as were their flats and sliding skellys. I would say the best tilts were Van Hool, as long as they had ROR running gear, the ones with SAF running gear had crap brakes in my experience, especially the step frames. I liked Gray & Adams fridges, but the best were Chereau :wink:

We had new Freuhauf sliders when iI worked for mrken they were miles in front of our maxiloads and ravens the tilts were trailors I think thats what they were spanish or french time he put all his ■■■■ on them you could only get 35cwt on them lol retired now but always like the look of those cargoball
trailers or the what was that other one packhool with the enclosed light areas

mazz:
In my experience the best kit was cranefruehauf chassis & curtainsiders were Boalloy ,fridges- gray & adams , just wondered what yours were?

Van Hool chassis , Hobur tanker and Krone Euroliners

Wheel Nut:

mazz:

Van Hool chassis , Hobur tanker and Krone Euroliners

When we pulled Fridges for Ross/Youngs they had a nice spec of trailer— Overlander chassis on ROR/Lamberea fridge and Thermoking unit.Without doubt Bo-Alloy Tautliner was the finest curtainsider by a long way although we used 3 chassis TASK/CF and latterly M & G(the Bo-Alloy in house chassis) oh and we also had a lone Tinsley which was the only stock chassis sat at Congleton when we wanted a Publicity trailer for East Lancs Mill PDQ but it was air suspended so it wasn’t all bad!!! Bewick.

BTC Four-in-line!!!.. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: …chris

trunkera1:
BTC Four-in-line!!!.. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: …chris

Coupled to a LAD cabbed Leyland Super Comet with “H” Gill in the drivers seat!!!

Hi, yes I have to agree, C/F with a boalloy curtainsider, with ROR axles of course, C/F alloy tipper trailer ( followed by a Wilcox ) was the best bulker, a King for a low loader, and to finish with a Thornes stock box, and in front … a Volvo.
regards Andrew.

Don’t know whether they were any good or not but remember York trailers seemed popular ( esp flats ) in the 70s with alot of hauliers .As for curtainsiders Boalloy quality no others come near it

boris:
Don’t know whether they were any good or not but remember York trailers seemed popular ( esp flats ) in the 70s with alot of hauliers .As for curtainsiders Boalloy quality no others come near it

I liked the York SL (diamond frame chassis) they always seemed to run a lot smoother than the CF and had better brakes.Their big draw back was the low gearing of the legs—took a lot longer than than the CF,I even had York build one with Davies Magnet landing gear but they were as bad,so I switched to CF as York wouldn’t budge,I would have quite happily stayed with them if they had matched the CF winding speed on the legs!! The difference between the respective speeds was a driver getting P****d through in the rain and saying sod it and leaving the legs half down and then damaging them.Bewick

i’ve limited experience on types of trailer, but Van Hool tilts were smashing, and on the heavy side anything Goldhofer :sunglasses:

andrew brick:
and in front … a Volvo.
regards Andrew.

Or a Guy Big J4T with a Gardner 240 :laughing: :laughing: