roping and sheeting

Retired Old ■■■■:
Considering the amount of interest in this R&S lark, I could be persuaded to come out of retirement providing the monetary gains were sufficient. All deals would be in cash, of course, given my past experiences with those who prefer cheques.

Do you accept PayPal ROF? Oh and would we have to provide our own vehicle, ropes and sheets? :confused: We need to know these things before signing up on the …line. :wink:

Pete.

Punchy Dan:
Ready for tomorrow,Leeds ,Redcar ,Glasgow .

Hi Dan what’s that silver machine I seen on the m5 the other day very smart mate :slight_smile:

Hi John ,that be one of Josh’s he got 4 Dafs and 2 Renaults ,they don’t do much sheeting though :smiley:

Punchy Dan:
Hi John ,that be one of Josh’s he got 4 Dafs and 2 Renaults ,they don’t do much sheeting though :smiley:

Hi dan I see his down the West Country a lot he got some smart trucks you busy nowadays keep looking out for you :smiley:

smallcoal:

Punchy Dan:

Hi dan I see his down the West Country a lot he got some smart trucks you busy nowadays keep looking out for you :smiley:

Busy enough m8 really ,trying to stay in the north when ever possible,I’ve no jobs your way at the min ,josh got a really nice Foden again too .

Punchy Dan:

smallcoal:

Punchy Dan:

Busy enough m8 really ,trying to stay in the north when ever possible,I’ve no jobs your way at the min ,josh got a really nice Foden again too .

Hi dan I have seen the foden where does he go on the south west run

windrush:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Considering the amount of interest in this R&S lark, I could be persuaded to come out of retirement providing the monetary gains were sufficient. All deals would be in cash, of course, given my past experiences with those who prefer cheques.

Do you accept PayPal ROF? Oh and would we have to provide our own vehicle, ropes and sheets? :confused: We need to know these things before signing up on the …line. :wink:

Pete.

Paypal quite acceptable, Pete, although a small “handling charge” would be made. And there’s no need to go to the expense of buying ropes & sheets as my company can hire them to you for the duration of the course. As to vehicles, can I suggest you come to an arrangement with young Daniel? He has a small fleet of vehicles which would be ideal for the job. It would appear from his recent photos on this site that he himself might benefit from a refresher course, cash only, given his record in the payment stakes.

Am I alone in thinking that this modern method of carrying reels of paper stood on their ends in a curtain side trailer is a step backwards in terms of safety? And especially not strapping them is bordering on insanity? I still think loading them on the roll and tightly scotched with sheeting and roping is safer.This happened on the M6 near Stoke on Trent this morning closing the motorway southbound for several hours. I had four drivers badly delayed, one near the front of the queue didn’t move for over three hours.

gingerfold:
Am I alone in thinking that this modern method of carrying reels of paper stood on their ends in a curtain side trailer is a step backwards in terms of safety? And especially not strapping them is bordering on insanity? I still think loading them on the roll and tightly scotched with sheeting and roping is safer.This happened on the M6 near Stoke on Trent this morning closing the motorway southbound for several hours. I had four drivers badly delayed, one near the front of the queue didn’t move for over three hours.

Graham, I fully agree with your comments regarding reels stood on end. If I carried them in a curtainsider
stood on end, I would have used 8ft corner boards and ratchet straps, or ropes, double hitched. Is it usual
nowadays for reels to be carried unstrapped, or was this a one-off ? Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

gingerfold:

Graham, I fully agree with your comments regarding reels stood on end. If I carried them in a curtainsider
stood on end, I would have used 8ft corner boards and ratchet straps, or ropes, double hitched. Is it usual
nowadays for reels to be carried unstrapped, or was this a one-off ? Regards, Ray.

Hello Ray, standing reels on their ends is the default method of loading them these days. If a driver went to a paper mill and asked for reels to be loaded “on the roll” he would be refused.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. I’d love to be able to rope and sheet but I’ve never had to. It does look smart though when done properly

Hi ALL ,It looks to me as if the lorry has hit someone up the rear, as you can see the grease in the front of the truck, so there would have been a violent avoiding swing with the lorry [looks like a 4 wheeler,]and it threw the reels out ,
not like the road trains, where we had boards 5 length ways [fore and aft,] all around the interior just like a tilt. to keep cargo in ,never no straps or rope used on tilt groupage.
I once loaded paper reels just like the photo from Birkenhead docks [Vittoria] to Italy on their ends no restraint straps or ropes .
however care was taken not to jerk and swing about,
up and out through the BLANC,THEY NEVER MOVED ,so in my opinion something caused the accident, ie hard braking and a swerve ,are there cleats or rope hooks available to restrain anything on the body??so more than just driver error…maybe wrong truck for the load…

Safe as houses ! how standards have fallen over the years !, ( through the floor) :blush: :cry:

peggydeckboy:
Hi ALL ,It looks to me as if the lorry has hit someone up the rear, as you can see the grease in the front of the truck, so there would have been a violent avoiding swing with the lorry [looks like a 4 wheeler,]and it threw the reels out ,
not like the road trains, where we had boards 5 length ways [fore and aft,] all around the interior just like a tilt. to keep cargo in ,never no straps or rope used on tilt groupage.
I once loaded paper reels just like the photo from Birkenhead docks [Vittoria] to Italy on their ends no restraint straps or ropes .
however care was taken not to jerk and swing about,
up and out through the BLANC,THEY NEVER MOVED ,so in my opinion something caused the accident, ie hard braking and a swerve ,are there cleats or rope hooks available to restrain anything on the body??so more than just driver error…maybe wrong truck for the load…

Totally agree: When a traffic clerk sends a vehicle or trailer for a load, the number & type of securing features doesn’t cross his mind. It doesn’t matter to him how the consignment is loaded or restrained, all that matters is that he has sent a vehicle to do the job. Anything, indeed EVERYTHING else is the responsibility of the driver. As always, the chap behind the wheel carries the can.
Reels loaded “Eye-to-the-sky” saves money on storage. Once again, saving every last penny dictates how the job is done, never mind safety.
And, as much as it hurts :wink: :wink: :wink: I have to agree with that Bewick chap- I’m glad I’m out of it these days and can just sit back and criticise!

I totally agree R O F these modern elf n safety experts are nothing but a liability to the drivers and general public alike when it comes down to securing loads. Bring back ropes, sheets and corner boards plus some commonsense !!!
Cheers Leyland 600.

Old Hall Street in Liverpool, 1974. If these bales of wool were loaded at Liverpool docks,
then this lad hasn’t travelled very far to this location where he lost a few bales.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

Here’s a couple I’ve done recently, the one with the white floor was done at -30c and was like trying to fold a sheet of steel. I’ve had days that were more fun if I’m honest.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Now that is just cruel having to sheet and rope in -30 degrees ! I think you would need a hammer to put the sheet in place Brrrr! great shots of how the other half operate though Cheers Dennis.

newmercman:
Here’s a couple I’ve done recently, the one with the white floor was done at -30c and was like trying to fold a sheet of steel. I’ve had days that were more fun if I’m honest.

A very smart bit of sheeting there NMM, bet there aren’t that many around you who make the effort. Certainly wouldn’t here. I pulled up at a routier the other evening and there was a wide load arrived soon after, I reckon he just threw the sheet over and stretched a few bungees here and there. I was leaving early in the morning and therefore early to bed and was going to take a sneak photo but he had only stopped for a meal and had gone by the time I got there.