roping and sheeting

Not many photos of wool loads on here now they didn`t always look pretty but there was a art to loading them … enter Les Pullan :wink:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dennis, During my time with Robert Baillie Transport in the early 1970s, our return traffic was mainly from Heinz,Kitt Green, Wigan. The 20 ton loads were usually on 14 pallets, so we were instructed to load 4 feet back from the tall headboard if coupled to a 40 footer,
to avoid overloading the drive axle of the Atkinson. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Like this Ray…

Bewick:

trunker08:
Re Bowker’s nice sheeted load, why isn’t the sheet over the head bord, even if palleted load,wet could/would run down the front and under sheet on the rave? Just asking !!

The load would be on pallets so any ingress of rain wouldn’t touch the consignment. When we were loading 16 pallet 20 ton loads on 40ft flats out of the Libby factory at Milnthorpe the load was 4 ft back from the headboard. Cheers Bewick.

And of course you would have used dunnage, as per the DoT advice? :wink:

ramone:
Not many photos of wool loads on here now they didn`t always look pretty but there was a art to loading them … enter Les Pullan :wink:

Now then mate dragged me in making me feel old, you don’t see any wool loads now its nice and safe inside a curtain sider, I never had the pleasure.
When i started doing wool i was given a hand hook and told load them on the flat side, they all looked ■■■■■■■ square to me, but they are not, a good tip was to rope the second tier or fly sheet it, then put on the next two tiers, it also kept you from changing your undies half way home, then came the ropes and sheets, double dolly every hook, memories. Les.

moomooland:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dennis, During my time with Robert Baillie Transport in the early 1970s, our return traffic was mainly from Heinz,Kitt Green, Wigan. The 20 ton loads were usually on 14 pallets, so we were instructed to load 4 feet back from the tall headboard if coupled to a 40 footer,
to avoid overloading the drive axle of the Atkinson. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Like this Ray…

Paul…Were you responsible for the 2 perfectly sheeted loads on the Bowker trailers ? Top Marks, 10 out of 10.
Are you aware of any pictures of lorries at Heinz, Kitt Green, Wigan ?
Lorries seen at Kitt Green regularly almost 50 years ago were Bowkers, Wm. Gaskell, Ridings, Robert Baillie,
McKelvie, B.R.S. etc. I have made a list of those that I remember, and so far I am up to 24. Regards, Ray Smyth.

ramone:

moomooland:
0A nicely sheeted and roped load by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davison after he had collected
a load at H.J. Heinz in London in April 1983.

Anymore pics of Heinz “moomooland” ,Henry Longs had a contract with Heinz for many years

As did SoM Newton le Willows depot.

David

5thwheel:

ramone:

moomooland:
0A nicely sheeted and roped load by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davison after he had collected

Anymore pics of Heinz “moomooland” ,Henry Longs had a contract with Heinz for many years

Hi David, Smith Of Maddiston is on my list, which has now reached 26 companies. I recall a Smiths shunter
seen often in Heinz, his name was Cliff, and I think he lived in Orrell, not far from Heinz.
He later worked for Connals of Maryhill, Glasgow as a shunter alongside Jeff Sell RIP. Regards, Ray Smyth.

David

Ray Smyth:

5thwheel:

ramone:

moomooland:

Hi David, Smith Of Maddiston is on my list, which has now reached 26 companies. I recall a Smiths shunter
seen often in Heinz, his name was Cliff, and I think he lived in Orrell, not far from Heinz.
He later worked for Connals of Maryhill, Glasgow as a shunter alongside Jeff Sell RIP. Regards, Ray Smyth.

David

Hiya,
I worked for Bowker’s and Riding’s in the 50 years ago era and can’t recall
ever loading out of Heinz Kitt Green or either company having regular
work out of there.
thanks harry, long retired.

Ray Smyth:
Paul…Were you responsible for the 2 perfectly sheeted loads on the Bowker trailers ?

Sadly not Ray. :frowning:
The Bowker pictures were given to me around 10 years ago by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davis who was responsible for the sheeting and roping.

Here’s one of Riding’s Atkinson Borderer’s outside Heinz’s Kitt Green factory near Wigan where driver John white had just loaded 20 tons canned goods.
John appears to be larking about sheeting up the tractor unit as well as the load. :smiley:

Riding’s delivered full loads of empty GKN pallets and loaded up to 16 loads daily out of Kitt Green, even having their own shunter based there a guy called Mick Davies.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
work out of there.

They were being done while you were scivving in the washbay Harry! :laughing: I bet the Heinz job was a good regular payer for hauliers though.

Pete.

Ray Smyth:

5thwheel:

ramone:

moomooland:

Interesting Ray,thanks for your comments.

David

moomooland:

Ray Smyth:
Paul…Were you responsible for the 2 perfectly sheeted loads on the Bowker trailers ?

Sadly not Ray. :frowning:
The Bowker pictures were given to me around 10 years ago by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davis who was responsible for the sheeting and roping.

0Here’s one of Riding’s Atkinson Borderer’s outside Heinz’s Kitt Green factory near Wigan where driver John white had just loaded 20 tons canned goods.
John appears to be larking about sheeting up the tractor unit as well as the load. :smiley:

Riding’s delivered full loads of empty GKN pallets and loaded daily out of Kitt Green, even having a shunter based there at times.

I just bet that Mr. Tom is writing out an official warning letter to this Driver right now !!! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

windrush:

harry_gill:
Hiya,
work out of there.

They were being done while you were scivving in the washbay Harry! :laughing: I bet the Heinz job was a good regular payer for hauliers though.

Pete.

It was until Exell took the contract, Pete!

For “Excel” read “BRS” :blush: :unamused: :wink:

Now, now!

Now then Lads, calm down, its correct spelling is EXEL. Regards, Ray.

When I worked for a Belgian company I used to give lessons to any of their drivers who were sufficiently interested in the finer arts of sheeting correctly with envelopes,etc on the corners and the use of fly sheets.They were all amazed how easily dolly knots could be undone.Before that they used to undo them with a knife.

Gidders:
When I worked for a Belgian company I used to give lessons to any of their drivers who were sufficiently interested in the finer arts of sheeting correctly with envelopes,etc on the corners and the use of fly sheets.They were all amazed how easily dolly knots could be undone.Before that they used to undo them with a knife.

Hiya,
A bit like when I pulled for Northern Ireland Trailers those Lancashire
flats that arrived at Preston Dock took for ever to unravel and the
knots ages to undo and you couldn’t cut them you needed the ropes
to rope the flat when reloading it for back oe’r the water.

harry_gill:

Gidders:

Hiya,
A bit like when I pulled for Northern Ireland Trailers those Lancashire
flats that arrived at Preston Dock took for ever to unravel and the
knots ages to undo and you couldn’t cut them you needed the ropes
to rope the flat when reloading it for back oe’r the water.

You wouldn’t require a “rope” spanner to undo any of these ropes “H”, hope your feeling a bit better mate ! Kind Regards Dennis