roping and sheeting

JAKEY:
Harry I see you point but you must of been told to give her a wash down every now and then ? also did you not a polish round inside ? not winding you up ! I will leave that to Dennis .

Hiya,
Jakey, Oh’ I kept the inside bit of the shed nice and clean nothing fancy, I didn’t
ever sleep in the things even when driving sleepers so clinical wasn’t needed it
was only my place of work and when parked up I couldn’t get away from the
things quickly enough just my way after all it was only a job I wasn’t in love with
the job, did anybody really enjoy working for a living ? I spent from age 21 to 65
as a driver in that time I never had any damages, wets, and only one accident a
farm track collapsed below my trailer nearside wheels and put me on my side, I
never missed turning up for work and never once claimed sick money, and no I
can’t ever recall having got a bollocking for not washing a motor in fact I don’t
remember being asked to ever wash a motor just wondering was that the reason
I never got allocated “the new motor” which never bothered me either, in the
words of Frank Sinatra “I did it my way” and got away with it.
thanks harry, long retired.

Same as you Harry , kept it tidy inside , not sparkling but clean enough . One gaffer asked me why I didn’t polish it like the others and I asked him if the fitters polished their benches . To me the lorry was like a fitter’s spanners , a tool to do the job .

rigsby:
Same as you Harry , kept it tidy inside , not sparkling but clean enough . One gaffer asked me why I didn’t polish it like the others and I asked him if the fitters polished their benches . To me the lorry was like a fitter’s spanners , a tool to do the job .

Hiya,
Wowser Riggers, at last a chap after my own heart, I was beginning to think
I was one of a kind, although when having to take another chaps motor
when he’s phoned in sick I’ve come across some right smelly horrors filled
with all sorts of rubbish they I suppose try to concoct some sort of sleeping
quarters with, I used to dump the rubbish in the sheet store if I was going to
be lumbered with the guy’s motor for a day or two and one lad who’s stuff i
transferred to the sheet store same age as me it was thirty years ago hasn’t
spoken to me since and we pass at least once every week, seemingly the
yard man had a clear out of the sheet store and put the guy’s gear on a
bonfire, I wouldn’t have carried that gear about for nobody.

Another rush job
image.jpeg

harry_gill:

rigsby:

Hiya,
Wowser Riggers, at last a chap after my own heart, I was beginning to think
I was one of a kind, although when having to take another chaps motor
when he’s phoned in sick I’ve come across some right smelly horrors filled
with all sorts of rubbish they I suppose try to concoct some sort of sleeping
quarters with, I used to dump the rubbish in the sheet store if I was going to
be lumbered with the guy’s motor for a day or two and one lad who’s stuff i
transferred to the sheet store same age as me it was thirty years ago hasn’t
spoken to me since and we pass at least once every week, seemingly the
yard man had a clear out of the sheet store and put the guy’s gear on a
bonfire, I wouldn’t have carried that gear about for nobody.

It went the other way with me Harry , I jumped in another motor while mine was on service , the steering wheel , floor mats and pedal rubbers were polished to a high sheen , refused to drive the thing

Hello Harry, thank you for the reply ,we are all different thank god , I am and have always been a polisher my dad Drummond this in me from a kid ,even when I was on Brs I was always on the wash when I was home and would rather that than be sat up in the canteen listening to bull crap ,I use to listen to that alL day on the CB . I am still the same today with my own trucks .

Punchy Dan:
Another rush job0

What weight can you put on the trailer Dan’l ? and are those wheels the same size as used on tri axles 365’s? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
Another rush job0

What weight can you put on the trailer Dan’l ? and are those wheels the same size as used on tri axles 365’s? Cheers Dennis.

My lord they are 385 s ,that trailer is 18 tonne gross and iirc weighs 4.5 tonnes ,however on 5 axles Iam 40 tonne giving a 20 tonne payload cheers Dan’l

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
Another rush job0

My lord they are 385 s ,that trailer is 18 tonne gross and iirc weighs 4.5 tonnes ,however on 5 axles Iam 40 tonne giving a 20 tonne payload cheers Dan’l

IIRC Dan’l the triaxles were 8:5 ton each axle or 24 ton bogie ? long time ago since I was involved though ! Cheers Dennis.

thumbnail_052 U-001.jpgA nicely sheeted and roped load by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davison after he had collected
a load at H.J. Heinz in London in April 1983.

moomooland:
0A nicely sheeted and roped load by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davison after he had collected

How times have changed. I load a few fridges every week at Heinz, using them as dry freight box vans. More and more loads are on roll cages. Straight to an RDC, then from the RDC to the store in the same roll cages.

moomooland:
0A nicely sheeted and roped load by Bowker’s driver the late Peter Davison after he had collected

If I put a similar shot on of a nice square and tidy load like this Bowker motor I get abuse hurled at me like " Oh! another easy Bewick load " :cry:

Re Bowker’s nice sheeted load, why isn’t the sheet over the head bord, even if palleted load,wet could/would run down the front and under sheet on the rave? Just asking !!

trunker08:
Re Bowker’s nice sheeted load, why isn’t the sheet over the head bord, even if palleted load,wet could/would run down the front and under sheet on the rave? Just asking !!

The load would be on pallets so any ingress of rain wouldn’t touch the consignment. When we were loading 16 pallet 20 ton loads on 40ft flats out of the Libby factory at Milnthorpe the load was 4 ft back from the headboard. Cheers Bewick.

moomooland:

A proper firm like bewicks would of sheeted over the headboard :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Bewick , guess there was a reason,!

Hi Dennis, During my time with Robert Baillie Transport in the early 1970s, our return traffic was mainly from Heinz,Kitt Green, Wigan.
The 20 ton loads were usually on 14 pallets, so we were instructed to load 4 feet back from the tall headboard if coupled to a 40 footer,
to avoid overloading the drive axle of the Atkinson. Regards, Ray Smyth.

These two trailers are loaded with 18 pallets of tinned rice IIRC ex the Libby factory next door.

two great photos Dennis .

moomooland:

Anymore pics of Heinz “moomooland” ,Henry Longs had a contract with Heinz for many years