Roll Call of long standing TN Members

Hello all,
joined in 2010,enjoy reading some great stories and the pictures bring back some great memories too.Hope this thread with continue for the foreseable future as it really does cheer up,what sometimes can be quite difficult days.Just to be part of this little band of like minded people is a joy.Long may it continue.

Kindest regards to all
Chris B

Hello there.
I am a relative newcomer joined in 2015. Just like the banter, knowledge and diversity of pictures and stories of an industry that I have grown up in with father and uncles all drivers, and worked in both on the fitting and driving side. Although not driving now try and get my fix on this forum as often as I can. It is the best forum by far, don’t do Faceache!
Regards.
John

I still look in almost daily

Davies International Transport thread started by ex driver Paul Who back in June 2008, my son joined me in January 2012 and with now over 4000 posts I suppose I am a bit excessive but what a way to keep in touch especially as usually nought on the telly I am interested in. Getting better every day on the old keypad which is new to me as in my day in the office running the company it was paper and pen and a fax, I was not in the telex ere as some on here would have been nowadays emails now, my how it has changed.
At first our thread was all trucks but as most know I am from a farming background and in my retirement have returned to dabble again so input today is a mix of trucks, farming and gardening with farming input from up North by “Wrighty” who is farming also but drives a truck int week, never met him but feel like I have know him for years,Seems we have regular followers and I enjoy the everyday banter very much so long may TNUK carry on to keep us all in touch. Especially miss dear “Saviem” what a wealth of knowledge and a memory to match but his thread continues at a pace to this day cheers Buzzer

PS. Have to say enjoying Paul Gee’s wonderful collection of pictures of yesteryear and DEANB for collating them all, big following there so thanks very much.

Carryfast:

Bewick:
Well I’ll kick the thread off as I am still “alive and kicking”

Even when that is often kicking me. :smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing:

Oh shut up you tart…don’t be so sensitive… :wink: :wink: :smiley:

I’ve about 7 years in now, I enjoy the forum because it stirs my often found wanting memory (it plays tricks at times :frowning: )
I think all us old lads enjoyed our time, I know I did, but I can’t do with todays modern ‘Euro box’ lorries, IMO they’ve no character, huge power, auto boxes, no skill required to get things like those up the old A6 over Shap and Beatock or The Beacons. Just sit there and listen to the radio. Roping and sheeting ■■ some of todays ‘drivers’ wouldn’t know how to start. And give em something WITHOUT power steering :open_mouth: , they’d book it off as being faulty.
Our skills are consigned to the history books.

I joined Dec 2011retired now and much preferred the older wagons . My interest in wagons as most on here did was going with my dad .

I love the fact that everyone is saying I joined on blah blah, yeah we know when you joined it says in your [zb]ing profile info to the left :laughing: :unamused:

Yes reporting for duty. I don’t do Facebook or Twitter, so this site is my only dabble in social media. Us oldies bemoan the demise of the camaraderie between drivers that existed years ago, but it can be argued that this part of TNUK has replaced the transport cafe, or transport digs, or pub or bar, whether in the UK or en route to eastern Europe or the Middle East, where banter and chatter was the norm.

gingerfold:
Yes reporting for duty. I don’t do Facebook or Twitter, so this site is my only dabble in social media. Us oldies bemoan the demise of the camaraderie between drivers that existed years ago, but it can be argued that this part of TNUK has replaced the transport cafe, or transport digs, or pub or bar, whether in the UK or en route to eastern Europe or the Middle East, where banter and chatter was the norm.

+1

If youre not into it youre out of it :wink:

Carryfast:

Bewick:
Well I’ll kick the thread off as I am still “alive and kicking”

Even when that is often kicking me. :smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing:

I’ve got to say “CF” metaphorically speaking you have had , and still get, more stick on this site than a U.S. Army Mule. But to give you your due like the U.S. Army Mule it makes no difference whatsoever :wink: However, who knows what the future holds ! the day may come when we could witness an investiture at the Palace " Arise Sir Geoffrey of Leatherhead" for services to “Aggravation and general annoyance” :open_mouth: ! Well I hope I’m not around to witness such an event. :wink: But just think of all the adulation and congrats you will receive from all your Pals on TNUK. :sunglasses: The mind boggles! :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Reef:
I love the fact that everyone is saying I joined on blah blah, yeah we know when you joined it says in your [zb]ing profile info to the left :laughing: :unamused:

+1
i just looked to see im a 4 year newbie.how time flies…then i was thinking.if you murder someone and have a good story,you only do seven…will we get time off for good behavior. :confused:

Reef:

C’mon “Reef” don’t be a ■■■■ now ! :wink: Some of us Lads on here can’t remember what “The Wife” made us for breakfast this morning. But we can tell you precisely what we tipped and loaded in London on any given day in the 60’s/70’s and which digs we stayed in and the name of the Boozer we had a few pints in that night, AND how much a pint cost ! :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

I Think one of the best things which is shown on these forums is the astounding amount of knowledge displayed by people,both directly and indirectly about a wide range of subjects both past and present.
One of the saddest things about the '‘Old Timers’'forum is how quickly and frequently members are leaving us,OK its to be expected but its still a loss to a great [and important]industry.

Started in transport in 1968, gave it all up (my own choice) in 2001 to spend more time at home with the family. Missed the job like mad for a good few years, got into ‘Trucknet’ mainly to see how the job was going without me!
Didn’t take long to get absolutely addicted to ‘Trucknet’, especially the OT forums, especially because I could relate to a lot of the experiences some of the posters were describing.
Initially, I thought I would personally know some of the contributors, as they were talking about events and places that happened around the same time as I was doing the job, as it transpires, the only contributor that I can say I knew and met more than a couple of times was good old ‘Rita’ Roger Heywood RIP.
Of course, I’d met a few of the people mentioned in posts, like Ritchie Thorne, Dave Chamberlain, Dave Clarke, ■■■■ Snow, the list could go on, and it’s quite possible that I’ve met some of the present posters but never really knew their names, you know what the job was like, you could be working for the same outfit and only meet fellow employees once in a blue moon, let alone those working for different firms.
It is a daily ritual to see who’s posted what, it’s still as addictive now as it was when I first joined.
The way I see it, the OT forum has quiet spells, with not many posts that interest the majority, although they are just as relevant to the posters and readers who can relate to them, then occasionally, someone posts something that hits a nerve with lots of readers and the post becomes a very popular one, which encourages people to post their similar experiences, and the OT forums is buzzing again.
Pete

Hi I joined in 2010 was told about this site I used to go with my uncle when I was young and used to go on the furniture vans with a few of the drivers got into trucking that way a mate on the CB let me go tramping with him he taught me roping and sheeting I went shunting in bsc port talbot aged 17 you didn’t need a licence then passed at 21 been all over since I contribute on Welsh hauliers and other pages a few old drivers have contacted me on here the wagon I had shunting was with joint motorways an old erf ony 372l no power steering and six speed straight box cheers John

I am one of the newer boys here (but not, unfortunately in age…) but would like to take this opportunity to thank the seniors, none of whom I actually know or have met, for all the very interesting topics discussed and what I interpret as mateship between you all (well nearly!) shown as our Oz cousins might say.

Frankly you represent the Britain I grew up in and loved. Modern Britain, I regret to say, does tend to leave me a bit flat in many ways. But I still find it here. Thanks again.

Bewick:

Reef:

C’mon “Reef” don’t be a [zb] now ! :wink: Some of us Lads on here can’t remember what “The Wife” made us for breakfast this morning. But we can tell you precisely what we tipped and loaded in London on any given day in the 60’s/70’s and which digs we stayed in and the name of the Boozer we had a few pints in that night, AND how much a pint cost ! :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Point well made, and point taken. :slight_smile:

I’m still around! I haven’t posted many pictures lately as I don’t like the new computer we have. I can’t do without my daily fix of TNUK . :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
I’m still around! I haven’t posted many pictures lately as I don’t like the new computer we have. I can’t do without my daily fix of TNUK . :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Kev me new old pal, Just relaxe & try & remember the Old Days when you were at Waugheys allong with our long departed work mates Like The Infamouse Parky Denham, & Of course Kak Handed Geordie Fearns. Two great lads in their day never to be forgotten as long as I live, Im just having a few large Glenmorangies this very moment, Before I retire to my good old bed, And I do hope to wake up in the morning ready to go,Regards Larry.