Roger pickering photo's

I wonder if Spencers are still operating, they had ERF’s and a Foden or two I think? Used to see them regularly around the Potteries and they never seemed to be in any big hurry, rather like myself! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
I wonder if Spencers are still operating, they had ERF’s and a Foden or two I think? Used to see them regularly around the Potteries and they never seemed to be in any big hurry, rather like myself! :laughing:

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Their yard was just off the D road, I can remember the 8 legger ERF’s and I think they also had an 8 legged Sed Atki? Pete

pete smith:

gingerfold:

pete smith:

I photographed that Volvo F7 of Family Loaf Bakery at their site to the rear of Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, in the late 1980s.

The former Theodore Emms AEC Marshal was one of two, along with four Mandators (IIRC), that were parked up in the early 1970s when Emms’ drivers went on strike. They didn’t turn a wheel for a good number of years.

Morning Graham,
I think, and will stand to be corrected, that John Davies, A.R Davies and son who ran the Marshalls, bought from the sale the 2 Marshalls, a Mercury tipper that ended up with Colin Pitt from Otley and a F G tipper which Ray Hingley bought, I cannot remember any of the Mandators in his yard at Kingswinford, Cheer’s Pete

Hello Pete, thinking about it you could be correct. I am 99% certain that Ray Hingley’s Mandator was ex-Theodore Emms, but he must have got hold of that before the Marshals and Mercury saw the light of day again. I remember Ray telling me in the early days of the AEC Society about the Mandators that were parked up and he had been trying to buy them for years. This getting older thing is a nuisance…can’t remember who told me what, and when. :blush: :blush:

I do remember visiting a very large warehouse in Tipton with Harry Pick, probably late 1980s, and it was full of pallets and racking full of screws, nuts and bolts. We were looking at a large cache of AEC spares, comprising about 60 stillages, but mainly what could be termed as slow moving items, such as axles, springs, chassis components etc. but one stillage, yes a stillage, of AEC round badges, then in very short supply, but the vendor wanted silly money for them and all the other spares. His story was that he had been a fastners supplier to British Leyland and when the company finally folded he had taken the spares in lieu of payment for the money he was owed. Buried in among all the millions of nuts and bolts were two AEC Marshals that he had run and that had brought all the spares from Aldenham before the receivers could do an inventory of stock. Such was the clutter in the place that it was impossible to get close to them, but the tops of the windscreens and cab roofs were clearly visible. I wonder what happened to them…and all the nuts and bolts. I have never ever seen anything like that place before or since.

Could well be the same Catto Foden Pete.It looks like a double drive,which seems a bit much for normal
transport.

Here another pic of a W.J.Daniel ERF. :wink:

pete smith:

windrush:

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Their yard was just off the D road, I can remember the 8 legger ERF’s and I think they also had an 8 legged Sed Atki? Pete

I do remember the Sed Ak, used to deliver close to their yard for a while. Potclays.

Pete.

windrush:

pete smith:

windrush:

Pete.

Hi Pete,

I do remember the Sed Ak, used to deliver close to their yard for a while. Potclays.

Pete.

Pete,
They always seemed well turned out motors, I’m sure their yard used to have one of them brick cone kilns in it? and always one of their motors seemd to be in the yard backed up a ramp!

DEANB:
Could well be the same Catto Foden Pete.It looks like a double drive,which seems a bit much for normal
transport.

Hi Dean,
I think that was took in their yard at Brierley Hill as it was on an embankment above the canal, I think you have previously posted a picture of one of W J Daniels Scania 111’s, Pete

gingerfold:

pete smith:

gingerfold:

pete smith:

I photographed that Volvo F7 of Family Loaf Bakery at their site to the rear of Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, in the late 1980s.

The former Theodore Emms AEC Marshal was one of two, along with four Mandators (IIRC), that were parked up in the early 1970s when Emms’ drivers went on strike. They didn’t turn a wheel for a good number of years.

Morning Graham,
I think, and will stand to be corrected, that John Davies, A.R Davies and son who ran the Marshalls, bought from the sale the 2 Marshalls, a Mercury tipper that ended up with Colin Pitt from Otley and a F G tipper which Ray Hingley bought, I cannot remember any of the Mandators in his yard at Kingswinford, Cheer’s Pete

Hello Pete, thinking about it you could be correct. I am 99% certain that Ray Hingley’s Mandator was ex-Theodore Emms, but he must have got hold of that before the Marshals and Mercury saw the light of day again. I remember Ray telling me in the early days of the AEC Society about the Mandators that were parked up and he had been trying to buy them for years. This getting older thing is a nuisance…can’t remember who told me what, and when. :blush: :blush:

I do remember visiting a very large warehouse in Tipton with Harry Pick, probably late 1980s, and it was full of pallets and racking full of screws, nuts and bolts. We were looking at a large cache of AEC spares, comprising about 60 stillages, but mainly what could be termed as slow moving items, such as axles, springs, chassis components etc. but one stillage, yes a stillage, of AEC round badges, then in very short supply, but the vendor wanted silly money for them and all the other spares. His story was that he had been a fastners supplier to British Leyland and when the company finally folded he had taken the spares in lieu of payment for the money he was owed. Buried in among all the millions of nuts and bolts were two AEC Marshals that he had run and that had brought all the spares from Aldenham before the receivers could do an inventory of stock. Such was the clutter in the place that it was impossible to get close to them, but the tops of the windscreens and cab roofs were clearly visible. I wonder what happened to them…and all the nuts and bolts. I have never ever seen anything like that place before or since.

Morning Graham,
Thank you for the information, I will try and get in touch with a mechanic who worked for John Davies and ask him as he worked on the Marshalls at the time, he would probably know of Harry Pick as he lived closer to that area then me, plus he is few years older!
Yes Rays Mandator came from Emm’s, I forgot to mention that :blush: Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

DEANB:
transport.

Hi Dean,
I think that was took in their yard at Brierley Hill as it was on an embankment above the canal, I think you have previously posted a picture of one of W J Daniels Scania 111’s, Pete

Hi Pete.
I might be wrong but didn’t J and S Hemmings aka Jubilee Transport have a yard around there as well? They ran some maroon Scania-Vabis units as well as other stuff.

Chris Webb:

pete smith:

DEANB:
transport.

Hi Dean,

Hi Pete.
I might be wrong but didn’t J and S Hemmings aka Jubilee Transport have a yard around there as well? They ran some maroon Scania-Vabis units as well as other stuff.

Morning Chris,
You are correct about the Vabis’s but Hemmings yard was 3 miles away in Pensnett, but they worked out of Round Oak Steelworks which the Merry Hill shopping centre is built on,

There was a six wheeler Sed-Ak tipper with the Strato cab that worked out of our quarry, John Webster from Parwich had it new and I think Roy Derbyshire from Warslow bought it from him when John finally saw sense and purchased a new Foden! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
There was a six wheeler Sed-Ak tipper with the Strato cab that worked out of our quarry, John Webster from Parwich had it new and I think Roy Derbyshire from Warslow bought it from him when John finally saw sense and purchased a new Foden! :wink:

Pete.

Hi Pete,
I cannot remember seeing many about, I wonder what the tare weight was compared to the Foden?

pete smith:

Chris Webb:

pete smith:

DEANB:
transport.

Hi Dean,

Hi Pete.

Morning Chris,
You are correct about the Vabis’s but Hemmings yard was 3 miles away in Pensnett, but they worked out of Round Oak Steelworks which the Merry Hill shopping centre is built on,

Right Pete,miles off then. :smiley: When I was on nights for MFS we used to tip Littlewoods at Dudley “on the key”. Their store ended up in Merry Hill.My mate Alan Graham found this photo of the old Dudley store when the delivery went onto early day shift,with a Scania artic passing which you may recognise…

pete smith:
Hi Pete,
I cannot remember seeing many about, I wonder what the tare weight was compared to the Foden?

About the same I think Pete, around a 16.80 tonne payload. Didn’t matter back then as Tarmac payed 17 tonne across the board anyway, even though some could only manage 16 tonnes, one of the better things they did for us but of course it didn’t last and the goalposts moved once again! :unamused:

Pete.

Great photo of Ratbags E series Pete ,the drivers used to stand up at the wheel on the A515 raceway :laughing:

Chris,
The red Scania belonged to R.Hart Brierley Hill, busy stretch of road that used to be until the by pass was opened, Cheer’s Pete

Punchy Dan:
Great photo of Ratbags E series Pete ,the drivers used to stand up at the wheel on the A515 raceway :laughing:

Dan,
Ratcliffe’s motors always looked like they had already been worked to death! few more for you,