Roger pickering photo's

A bit of info about the Marshalls A R Davies ran,
Graham,
It states that John bought 4 but I’m sure that would be the 2 Marshalls, the Mercury tipper that went to Colin Pitt and a Mandator, Here is a pic, not mine but will remove if requested, of Theodore Emms lineup, Cheer’s Pete

Mr Punchy this is your lot until Saturday, will speak to you about that tank when the drawings come through!
A Scania in the shot, must have been no British lorries to photograph as Roger ain’t a fan!
4 ERF’s for you Robert!

pete smith:
Graham,
It states that John bought 4 but I’m sure that would be the 2 Marshalls, the Mercury tipper that went to Colin Pitt and a Mandator, Here is a pic, not mine but will remove if requested, of Theodore Emms lineup, Cheer’s Pete

Hello Pete, thanks for that article, you don’t know the date of it do you? Some of those photos are official AEC photos, used for publicity purposes, so no copyright issues.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but Marshals seemed to be a popular AEC model to put into storage. I went to visit a farmer ■■■ haulier near York who had “stored” 4 Marshals and a Mercury, all driven into a shed and left for a number of years. All the cabs were in very good condition. This farmer / haulier was dressed like, and spoke like a farmer character from “All Creatures Great and Small”. When I looked at the Mercury from the back I thought that its cab was tilted slightly, then I walked to the front and saw that the chassis had been cut in two behind the front spring hangers. The farmer told me he was going to make a trailer with the rear part of the Mercury then he changed his mind! The cutting was very clean, so the chassis could have been welded back together and plated. The Marshals were all complete except that he had taken the prop shafts off them and locked them away, “so nobody would steal the lorries”! Needless to say in true Yorkshire fashion the asking prices were silly money, so I came away with only memories of yet another strange character that seemed to abound in road haulage back in the day.

Here’s another one of Alan Firmin’s ERF’s.

pete alan firmin.PNG

Not wanting to hijack the thread but Marshals seemed to be a popular AEC model to put into storage. I went to visit a farmer ■■■ haulier near York who had “stored” 4 Marshals and a Mercury, all driven into a shed and left for a number of years. All the cabs were in very good condition. This farmer / haulier was dressed like, and spoke like a farmer character from “All Creatures Great and Small”. When I looked at the Mercury from the back I thought that its cab was tilted slightly, then I walked to the front and saw that the chassis had been cut in two behind the front spring hangers. The farmer told me he was going to make a trailer with the rear part of the Mercury then he changed his mind! The cutting was very clean, so the chassis could have been welded back together and plated. The Marshals were all complete except that he had taken the prop shafts off them and locked them away, “so nobody would steal the lorries”! Needless to say in true Yorkshire fashion the asking prices were silly money, so I came away with only memories of yet another strange character that seemed to abound in road haulage back in the day.
[/quote]
What some people will do to avoid paying income tax is amazing, I have sold many into sheds over the years.
Could never understand how the accountant lost them on the books, someone on here will know, for sure. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Harvey

pete smith:

Hello Pete ,my word a lot to catch up with here ,that green isnt from S Wales its J S Pugh Lydbury North who we mentioned earlier this week .
Going back a page the red and grey Kenworth is actually Hydes of Queens head they had 2 hauling re bar out of Brymbo.
Jebbs are still going and are based on the old Rednal airfield a couple of miles from Queens Head .Does anyone remember Westerman who were also based on the field they went about 10 yrs ago .
The grey Volvo F10 Morris Transport are from Four Crosses below Llanymynech ,a small fleet maybe a relation to Trevor Morris that was ,they did quarry work and steel .
David Gore ERF from Yockleton on the Montgomery road out of Shrewsbury ,he has got a V8 Scania now
Bryan transport Pete , i think we have mentioned before from Hinstock on the A41 in the village ,hauled coal out of the Potteries mainly ,finished up with Scania 8 tippers .
QFS ,Quick Fright Services from Gobowen ,garage on the ST Martins road ,they had Ford Transcons as well , lovely old pictures from Shropshire Pete ,thank you Trevor

I’m waiting patiently for a picture of my Scania 143 with its original owner, it hailed from Shropshire, so there’s a good chance it may pop up, it had a rather distinctive colour scheme when I bought it, which I immediately changed as I thought it looked awful.

Oh and back to the Catto Foden, those early S106 38tonners from Foden were all double drive, they either had the Paccar torsion bar suspension or the Hendrickson rubber set up, either one would have given a very harsh ride, especially on such a short wheelbase, probably not very forgiving on a wet roundabout or a tight turn with the two front tyres trying to overcome the eight rear tyres wanting to go in a straight line.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

gingerfold:

pete smith:
Graham,

Hello Pete, thanks for that article, you don’t know the date of it do you? Some of those photos are official AEC photos, used for publicity purposes, so no copyright issues.

Morning Graham,
I would say the article on the Marshalls is 1984 ish,
You are not hijacking the thread, it is all about each others memories and one persons memories may trigger a new picture or some more new members! Keep them comments/memories coming! Cheer’s Pete

HRS:

What some people will do to avoid paying income tax is amazing, I have sold many into sheds over the years.
Could never understand how the accountant lost them on the books, someone on here will know, for sure. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Harvey
[/quote]
Morning Harvey,
I know of a couple of companies which done just that, one was Fordhouses Transport and A C Holmes bought new vehicles for the tax reason, the Big J of Fordhaouse transport is still about in Richard Staniers colours, B101 SFK and 2 of the Seddon Atkinsons of A C Holmes have just been purchased by Ray Hingley, never been registered as far as I know! Cheer’s Pete

tastrucker:

pete smith:

Hello Pete ,my word a lot to catch up with here ,that green isnt from S Wales its J S Pugh Lydbury North who we mentioned earlier this week .
Going back a page the red and grey Kenworth is actually Hydes of Queens head they had 2 hauling re bar out of Brymbo.
Jebbs are still going and are based on the old Rednal airfield a couple of miles from Queens Head .Does anyone remember Westerman who were also based on the field they went about 10 yrs ago .
The grey Volvo F10 Morris Transport are from Four Crosses below Llanymynech ,a small fleet maybe a relation to Trevor Morris that was ,they did quarry work and steel .
David Gore ERF from Yockleton on the Montgomery road out of Shrewsbury ,he has got a V8 Scania now
Bryan transport Pete , i think we have mentioned before from Hinstock on the A41 in the village ,hauled coal out of the Potteries mainly ,finished up with Scania 8 tippers .
QFS ,Quick Fright Services from Gobowen ,garage on the ST Martins road ,they had Ford Transcons as well , lovely old pictures from Shropshire Pete ,thank you Trevor

Morning Trevor,
Thank you for the information, I get mixed up with Bryan Transport and Maidens from Hinstock, Bryans was right in the village were the fork for Drayton was and Maidens on the side of the A41! Plenty more of the Shropshire pictures to come! Cheer’s Pete

newmercman:
I’m waiting patiently for a picture of my Scania 143 with its original owner, it hailed from Shropshire, so there’s a good chance it may pop up, it had a rather distinctive colour scheme when I bought it, which I immediately changed as I thought it looked awful.

Oh and back to the Catto Foden, those early S106 38tonners from Foden were all double drive, they either had the Paccar torsion bar suspension or the Hendrickson rubber set up, either one would have given a very harsh ride, especially on such a short wheelbase, probably not very forgiving on a wet roundabout or a tight turn with the two front tyres trying to overcome the eight rear tyres wanting to go in a straight line.

Morning Marc,
I will have a flick through them to see if your 143 is in there, can you remember the company that ran her? Cheer’s Pete

A friend of mine had relatives near Forrester’s yard,he said there was allsorts parked up in there a few years ago. I remember seeing them in Monsanto Acrefair int 70s.

forrester1.jpg

Pete, I can’t remember the name of the firm, but it was green with yellow stripes and covered in marker lights all over the front grille. It got a coat of Ford diamond white on the cab, aircraft blue chassis and the lights all went in the bin before it went on the road. Only a flat top 420 streamline, but a bloody good lorry it turned out to be, never cost a penny apart from routine maintenance and new brake chambers when it went up for test. I bought a bunch of the big 540 Stralis, but kept the Scania for myself and I sold it for more than I paid for it over 5yrs later. It’s still running around in Ireland to this day, a friend recently sent me some photos of it.

Hi Pete, thanks for the fine posts .The ex Kenneth Wilson Foden in Dulson &Sons livery was driven by me from new .It had 320 14 lit ■■■■■■■ & a 13 speed box .The Wilcox bulker behind it is ex KW also.The outfit was based at Knottingley yard untill KW decided to discard their own fleet Eric Benson & Derrick Waters were two great characters who drove for KW and based at Telford

[/quote]
Morning Harvey,
I know of a couple of companies which done just that, one was Fordhouses Transport and A C Holmes bought new vehicles for the tax reason, the Big J of Fordhaouse transport is still about in Richard Staniers colours, B101 SFK and 2 of the Seddon Atkinsons of A C Holmes have just been purchased by Ray Hingley, never been registered as far as I know! Cheer’s Pete
[/quote]
Hi Pete,
Dealers had to fill in, and send off the V55 to tax the truck and this started the vehicle warranty.
I had to make it very clear to the oporator that after a period of time, without registration the warranty ceased and the factory did not want to know.
Great thread, well done. Harvey

Pete,back on page 2 you posted a pic of one of James Booth’s motors. Heres another one. :wink:
Keep the pics coming chap. :laughing:

A02130.JPG

brandsbybank:
Hi Pete, thanks for the fine posts .The ex Kenneth Wilson Foden in Dulson &Sons livery was driven by me from new .It had 320 14 lit ■■■■■■■ & a 13 speed box .The Wilcox bulker behind it is ex KW also.The outfit was based at Knottingley yard untill KW decided to discard their own fleet Eric Benson & Derrick Waters were two great characters who drove for KW and based at Telford

Morning Brandsbybank,
I can remember Eric telling me there was 3 KW lorries based in Telford, he was a character, used to tip grain at Millers in Wolverhampton, fixed his air horn on the roof of his Foden with 2 self tappers and rested the front of the trumpet in a roll of masking tape! Cheer’s Pete