Roger pickering photo's

pete smith:

pv83:

pete smith:

pv83:
Dutch outfit indeed Pete, that’s one from the Ben Becker fleet, still going strong, the firm that is, not the Scanny :blush:

Smart outfit Patrick, do you keep your’s so tidy?

I’ll try to keep the interior spotless, never cared much how it looks on the outside mate, it’s a tool far as I’m concerned :laughing:

Patrick,
So I have to keep my eye out for the dirtiest motor in the fleet then?
Have you been on the Harry Gill “dodge the vehicle wash” course?

Doesn’t look all that shabby… from a distance…

Well, I had to learn from the “old hands” didn’t I, Mr Gill’s instructions were quite clear “no ■■■■■■■ wash up on Friday when you can spend that same time in the pub”…

How much and how long does the course of penicillin last?
[/quote]
Sst… can’t tell ya mate, got to think about my reputation, being a proper gent and all… :wink:

Nice shot of Hartshorne’s F88 wrecker Pete ! Out of intrest does anyone know why the lift axle is up
in that shot ■■? If it was snowing and he wanted more grip you could understand it being lifted to put
more weight on the drive axle.

Hello Dean,

I cannot answer your question about the lift axle , I would of thought both axles down for traction for sure but that old Ddge would be no problem for a mighty F88 to handle .

How about this then ,photo supplied a few years ago to me by the red Landtrain ,but Friday I happened to bump in both of the two wrecker drivers at the same stand up in Abingdon Oxford and they reminded me about the photo.

DEANB:
Nice shot of Hartshorne’s F88 wrecker Pete ! Out of intrest does anyone know why the lift axle is up
in that shot ■■? If it was snowing and he wanted more grip you could understand it being lifted to put

Hi Dean. That may well of been the drivers preference as he made the call to raise the pusher axle. As Jakey said that Dodge Commando wasn’t heavy, and noticing the long wheelbase I suspect the Volvo rode and handled better under those conditions including braking and traction.

Paul

JAKEY:
Hello Dean,

I cannot answer your question about the lift axle , I would of thought both axles down for traction for sure but that old Ddge would be no problem for a mighty F88 to handle .

How about this then ,photo supplied a few years ago to me by the red Landtrain ,but Friday I happened to bump in both of the two wrecker drivers at the same stand up in Abingdon Oxford and they reminded me about the photo.

Morning Jakey,
The red Landtrain, it looks like?, was operated by V T R, Vehicle Tail-lift Repairs and I cannot remember this motor at all :blush:
The white one, was that a main dealer? Only asking the name Hartwell, our local BL dealer was called Charles Clark then got bought out and called Hartwell Clark, Cheer’s Pete

Paul John:

DEANB:

Hi Dean. That may well of been the drivers preference as he made the call to raise the pusher axle. As Jakey said that Dodge Commando wasn’t heavy, and noticing the long wheelbase I suspect the Volvo rode and handled better under those conditions including braking and traction.

Paul

Morning Dean/Paul,
Paul and Jakey I reckon are spot on, minimal weight in that rot box hanging off the back!
I wonder what axle set up is under the back end, would it be possible to fit the S ride set up back to front? Using a “bent tube” axle for the lift so the prop-shaft would clear the lift axle.

Yes the Red one was VTR were at Didcot,and the white one was Hartwells/Harfords in Oxford ,Ford /Leyland main dealers ,long gone now.

pete smith:
Thank you Spud, Chris G, Chris W, Tony and Kevmac for all the comments and information, much appreciated, Pete.

Hi the green started life at pear tree haulage West bromwich it was yellow and brown it was sold in 82 in the sale after we. Closed down

Good to see a Ron Marsh pic, he was based at Loggerheads and occasionally carted from Ballidon quarry.

Pete.

JAKEY:
Yes the Red one was VTR were at Didcot,and the white one was Hartwells/Harfords in Oxford ,Ford /Leyland main dealers ,long gone now.

Cheer’s Jakey

marathon1975:

pete smith:
Thank you Spud, Chris G, Chris W, Tony and Kevmac for all the comments and information, much appreciated, Pete.

Hi the green started life at pear tree haulage West bromwich it was yellow and brown it was sold in 82 in the sale after we. Closed down

Morning Scott,
Get a pic of it on here! Pete

windrush:
Good to see a Ron Marsh pic, he was based at Loggerheads and occasionally carted from Ballidon quarry.

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Ron Marsh was bought out by Tinnely Transport and a couple of years later ceased trading, Cheer’s Pete

Always nice to see one of EEC quarries motors Pete ! Brings back memories of when i was a kid used to have a
quarry about 15 miles from where i lived.Were they taken over by Tarmac ■■

Heres another one !

L1739p.JPG

ECC (the construction and quarrying part) became part of CAMAS but I don’t know who owns what nowadays! :confused: They owned Croft quarry in Leicestershire and occasionally we collected 10mm granite from there, 10mm was a popular size and limestone quarries like Ballidon had to get it from wherever they could when stocks at Tilcons own hardstone quarries ran low.

Pete.

windrush:
ECC (the construction and quarrying part) became part of CAMAS but I don’t know who owns what nowadays! :confused: They owned Croft quarry in Leicestershire and occasionally we collected 10mm granite from there, 10mm was a popular size and limestone quarries like Ballidon had to get it from wherever they could when stocks at Tilcons own hardstone quarries ran low.

Pete.

Heavy Transport Ltd belonged to ECC IIRC Pete?

Chris Webb:
Heavy Transport Ltd belonged to ECC IIRC Pete?

That’s right Chris. I think they were only based in Cornwall for the china clay job, used to see them tipping into conveyers at Par for shipping overseas. I never carted that stuff but when Ballidon used to run tippers into Cornwall and Devon many years ago they backloaded it to the Potteries.

Pete.