Rest before ejecting?

Bit of help to settle an argument please. Do you have to change the mode to rest before you eject the card. I say no, just do a manual entry to show the rest.

If you do manual entries, or even just check that it’s showing rest for the time since the card was ejected, it doesn’t matter what mode you leave the tachograph on when you eject the driver card.

No you do not. It makes no difference. Once you take your card out, it can’t magically transfer data onto it. Only what you tell it next time you put it in.

No you don’t

Exactly. That’s what I was trying to tell him.

Has anyone got a like to an official page showing this? He won’t believe me if I just tell him what I’ve already told him.

There is no official page because one isn’t needed. The closest he’ll get is the manufacturers handbook for the tachograph unit.
Even if he puts it on rest and then ejects his card it’s unlikely to register it as rest on a printout unless he leaves it for a minute so it registers. But by then removing it after the minute he would be continuing to be doing other work as ejecting your card would be part and parcel of your working day (that’s ultra pedant mode before anyone else beats me to it)
You’re obviously already aware of this but I can’t think of any other argument to help your colleague/mate understand and if after that explanation he still fails to understand then just say ‘OK then’ and walk away because sometimes you can’t win every battle.

There was a Siemens hand book that the manufactures said to put mode on rest before – ejecting or inserting the card.
The only reason I know of was because drivers would insert their card and would start doing paperwork and be timed out not allowing manual entries.
This would then show if you had ejected on work mode that you had been on work for X amount of hours.

nick2008:
There was a Siemens hand book that the manufactures said to put mode on rest before – ejecting or inserting the card.
The only reason I know of was because drivers would insert their card and would start doing paperwork and be timed out not allowing manual entries.
This would then show if you had ejected on work mode that you had been on work for X amount of hours.

Who the ■■■■ does anything in the couple of seconds it takes to read your card?

Enter card, do entries, wait until “ready to drive”, resume morning tally whacker twirling…

It’s not rocket science!

F-reds:

nick2008:

Who the [zb] does anything in the couple of seconds it takes to read your card?

Enter card, do entries, wait until “ready to drive”, resume morning tally whacker twirling…

It’s not rocket science!

So you’ve put your card in and some one or thing gets your attention and as you say it’s “seconds”

Same as when someone tries to talk to me when I’m hitching the manitou back up, or stowing a HIAB. They get ignored until the job is done right.

I tried to explain it again today, I could almost hear the cogs going round but still no joy.

mucker85:
I tried to explain it again today, I could almost hear the cogs going round but still no joy.

In that case tell him to try this - one day, put it on rest and then eject his card. The next day, keep it on other work and eject his card. Get him to do a print out for each day. Then bet him £10 if there’s a difference between the two printouts. Gets you beer money sorted for the weekend.

Legally it makes no difference. Challenge him to show you documentation otherwise. He’ll fail.

Ejecting and reinserting on break can save your ■■■ though in certain situations. I got distracted recently after I stuck my card in and it timed out on the manual entry page. Luckily I was in a vehicle that defaulted to break when the ignition was turned off. If I’d ejected on crossed hammers the day before instead of break it would’ve added the previous day’s work to the current day and given me multiple infringements.

But when doing manual entries properly it makes no difference.

Another thing that makes me laugh is the guy doesn’t even make sure it’s recorded a full minute of rest before he ejects it.

The VDO handbook ai last read said put it on ‘bed’ before ejecting or inserting the card but as long as you do manual entries carefully and correctly I can’t see how it can be a problem.

There’s certainly no legal requirement.