Tacho a bit confusing!

When you insert/withdraw the card from the tacho at the beginning/end of a shift, is it automatically recorded as a rest period or do you have to manually change the mode to break?

This is because when I was on my way to Edinburgh from Washington (after about an hour and a half after the start of my shift) the tacho starts flashing at me, asking me to take a 45. So, somehow I must have messed up between when I took my card out at the end of yesterday’s shift and the beginning of today’s.

I’m guessing that you did a manual entry? If so, you screwed it up! No kittens were killed though, just do a printout, sign it and write an explanation on it.

It records it as ? Meaning it doesnt know what you were doing. As every time my tacho records ? I’m not working, it can continue not knowing what I was doing as it’s none of its business. So effectively yes it counts as rest.
I never do manual entries and never change mode to break when removing my card at the end of the day and never had an issue with early break warnings.

109LWB:
It records it as ?

That only applies to type 1 digital tachographs, tachographs made after 2012 work differently.

The user manuals for VDO tachographs after version 2 say to enter the rest symbol before ejecting the driver card at the end of the working day, I think most tachographs default to rest these days but if you have a tachograph that defaults to other work when the ignition is switched off and you don’t set it to rest I don’t know what happens.

Having said that, I suspect that the maoster may have hit the nail on the head.

tachograph:

109LWB:
It records it as ?

That only applies to type 1 digital tachographs, tachographs made after 2012 work differently.

The user manuals for VDO tachographs after version 2 say to enter the rest symbol before ejecting the driver card at the end of the working day, I think most tachographs default to rest these days but if you have a tachograph that defaults to other work when the ignition is switched off and you don’t set it to rest I don’t know what happens.

Having said that, I suspect that the maoster may have hit the nail on the head.

Yes, the truck I had today was fitted with a VDO one, and I may have left it on cross hammers.

So, in the morning, should I do a manual entry and alter the time after I pulled my card to rest?

When you insert your driver card in the mornings check to see that it’s recording rest for the time the card has been out, if not you will need to change the activity to rest with a manual entry.
If it’s a type 1 tachograph (made before the end of 2012) it won’t show the time the card was out so you won’t need to do anything.

tachograph:
if you have a tachograph that defaults to other work when the ignition is switched off and you don’t set it to rest I don’t know what happens.

We got new Volvos at my place that do just this, ■■■■■ really picked up a few infingments, but they do set to rest on eject with our units.

tommymanc:

tachograph:
if you have a tachograph that defaults to other work when the ignition is switched off and you don’t set it to rest I don’t know what happens.

We got new Volvos at my place that do just this, [zb] really picked up a few infingments, but they do set to rest on eject with our units.

The default ignition off activity setting can be changed with the company card on new VDO and Stoneridge tachographs, well according to the user manuals they can anyway :slight_smile:

Learn to do manual entries so you can put in an entry for other work to cover you going back to the office and handing back keys and POD on a night and picking up the keys and paperwork in the morning. You’re then covered if you get a Hitler at a VOSA checkpoint.