Renault Magnum Owners club

The old Ford Transcon was the originall rock 'n roll and row down the road cab and the Magnum has now taken over.
Impressive vehicles but climbing in and out using that stupid step arrangement is pretty hazardous. There have been a number of incidents with drivers being injured slipping off the steps.
Personally I would not want one.

I’ve always thought the steps were one of its main safety features, you absolutely can’t climb in there with owt in your hand, has to be chucked in first, or carried on your back meaning two hands on the rails at all times.

HOWEVER, have you seen that silly one-piece speedo-tachometer they have put in!?

YES the new dash is far better than the old and I’d even go so far as to say its nice but the one bit speedo/tachometer just ruins the whole thing for me.

Eurgh!

Alex

Scarab:
I’ve always thought the steps were one of its main safety features, you absolutely can’t climb in there with owt in your hand, has to be chucked in first, or carried on your back meaning two hands on the rails at all times.

Absolutely, even if your foot does slip hanging on to those 2 bars would save you from a tumble. Never had a problem myself.

Have driven loads of Magnums over the years and owned a few, the early AE marked versions where underpowered badly designed and poorly put together. Saying that though there are a few 1 mill KMS + units that I know of happily tramping Europe.

A couple of design issues the gear lever made you bang your elbow on the buck while changing gear (if well worn sometimes your knuckle too)

Cab suspension was very weak and actualy made alot of people sea sick, Also taking bends in a side wind was not for the feighnt hearted.

All these issues sorted on the revamped Silver Grill version 2001 (i Think) and at last some much needed power :slight_smile:

The swivel passenger seat is great for breaks and stop overs, storage adequate (always wanted a locker overhead big enough for permanent TV / microwave rather than under bunk. Bottom bunk the best on the market IMO wide and super comfortable, top hamock useless if over 12 stone and cause of many an argument when double crewing. \fibre Glass doors to prone to attack on locks causing lots of damage and costly replacement :imp:

But now the new Cab is out and its the dogs danglies (not sure about dash as per scarabs comments) and will be the one to have for the next few years at least (optimax 2 a must)

Take a look at this link (if the picture is a little blurred just wipe your screen it will be your own drool :open_mouth: :smiley: )

renault-trucks.co.uk/renault … ml?lang=en

Dont often get Magnums when doing agency for some reason but I have been impressed with the ones I have had, if I did do nights out its the type of truck I would like to have.

Scarab:

HOWEVER, have you seen that silly one-piece speedo-tachometer they have put in!?

YES the new dash is far better than the old and I’d even go so far as to say its nice but the one bit speedo/tachometer just ruins the whole thing for me.

Eurgh!

Alex

That has to be the very latest model coming out in March which is a slight change to my one, although the tow engine options remain the same :open_mouth:

I have to agree a little, the dash is a little boring but i wouldnt say it ruined it. As for pulling power, well its a Volvo now isnt it :wink:

i’ve had a few magnums and never had any real problems. they are the cab for euro tramping. the new cab looks fantastic in my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Decent sized cab, though interior trim feels a tad cheap.

Excellent Volvo power in newer ones.

But while the step arrangement is retained you will always have dirty hands and holes in your paperwork… :wink: :laughing:

Too Fat :wink:

have a look at the renault link M8, they have raised the cab height giving 2metres which allows for a hell of alot more storage. Also both bunks now sprung mattrice. Seats have also changed to accomodate the more portly of us (the side supports are a little tight on the current model for some :slight_smile: )

What a bueaty, even the Scanny die hards have to admit it!! :smiley: :wink:

ive driven magnums from the very first model right thru to an 05 plate and i really liked em the new one looks the part and id swap my r-series topline for one

N2N Transport:
What a bueaty, even the Scanny die hards have to admit it!! :smiley: :wink:

Feeling you there N2N! :smiley:

Scanias are OK, but a Magnum is a better lorry for living in.

A mate of mine had one on R W Simpson at Mereside. He’s in his fifties, been driving thirty odd years and has driven everything built since about 1960. He’d have a Magnum over anything.

Magnums are a bit like the Iveco Stralis. They don’t carry the kudos of a Swedish lorry and are often much maligned. But those who knock them have often not driven them and therefore given them a chance.

The seats in the new model look fantastic, mine are no way near as nice as those :imp:

I can’t help but think those new additional cupboards will be very small. Will pop up to our dealers for a drool over them when they come in :blush:

Impressive vehicles but climbing in and out using that stupid step arrangement is pretty hazardous. There have been a number of incidents with drivers being injured slipping off the steps.
Personally I would not want one.

do I take ityou wouldn’t drive a topline scania after I witnessed a guy break his nose climbing into one
or a new FH after I witnessed a bloke lose a few teeth and mess his nose up as well, both slipped on the step while climbing into their vehicles
they’re dangerous them volvos and scanias, you’d never get me in one of them with there safety record.

jybson:
Was around and about Cambridge yesterday. Between The Cambridge services and Catthorpe i passed at least 10 Magnums, Whilst in the truck parking at the services there were 3 across me (registered to Poland, Hungary and Holland), one next to me (Also registered to Holland) and another 2 arrived whilst i was there.

I’ve not seen many of these before and then all of a sudden…loads.

Does any one on here drive one? What are they like? Do they feel like they are going to fall over with the what looks like the cab swaying above the chassis?

cheers

Had 3 magnums, the old one’s used to lurch on corner’s but have now got a 57 plate 500, these new one’s have had the front cab air bags removed , so they are a lot more stable on the road and in corner’s.
Could do with a bit more storage space in those with the table in them, but the new ones that come out in April should be an improvement with 8 inches more headroom and cupboard storage.

I always look underneath the clothes :stuck_out_tongue: and feel that the New Magnum has got another 20 years of life left in it especially with the Volvo Engineering. I have a TGA at the moment and while the cab is large it does not do much for actually storing my stuff within reach.

I would probably like to have a New Magnum next