Red light cameras and artics

So my unit was pretty much on the stop line as they change to Amber, it was safer to carry on, my trailer would have gone through on red though more than likely.m what’s the score with this?

You’ll have to just wait and see if you get one. If you do, try appealing it.

Do you have a dashcam? If you have footage to show that carrying on was safer than trying to stop you could use that as evidence.

Red light cameras cause more problems imo, more rear end shunts etc

Red Light 1-Rowley 0 [emoji57]

Not set in stone, i’d have blocked a set of lights down Eastbourne way some years ago had i stopped in heavy nose to tail traffic, camera light flashed me trailer but never heard a thing…in retrospect i should have just stopped and blocked the shop up regardless.

Its a worrying time waiting.

Rowley010:
So my unit was pretty much on the stop line as they change to Amber, it was safer to carry on, my trailer would have gone through on red though more than likely.m what’s the score with this?

The camera wont activate immediatly when the light turns red. They would need to take two pictures to get anywhere pursuing you to show that your vehicle was not stationary but moving. They would need for the first picture to show you prior to the solid white stop line and the second picture to show you having travelled past it. If as you describe you were on/past the stop line at amber then I doubt very much you will hear anything.

Long time ago but in 1996 I triggered a camera on the A10 at Edmonton, saw the flash in the mirror, never heard anything.
Again in 1998 I triggered one in Park Lane, in a drawbar this time, again never heard anything.
Both times they had just changed to amber as I was too close to stop, so cab went through on amber but trailer wheels on red.
But things change and the powers that be are always looking at new ways to extract money from us.

I was approaching ready to stop like I always do, but as I say they went to Amber literally as I was at the line so I wouldn’t have stopped until the middle of the junction if I’d tried. Then once I’d cleared the junction I saw the camera in my mirrors and thought ■■■■

I guess I’ll have to wait the 14 days for my definitive answer!

I got flashed in Cardiff about 5 yrs ago after the lights changed right at that wrong moment but never heard anything.

Sorry but amber means stop, if you had stopped and triggered the camera the two photos taken would have shown a stationary vehicle as happened to me once and I heard nothing, you may be lucky and they consider the length of you’re vehicle, its a waiting game I’m afraid.

mike68:
Sorry but amber means stop, if you had stopped and triggered the camera the two photos taken would have shown a stationary vehicle as happened to me once and I heard nothing, you may be lucky and they consider the length of you’re vehicle, its a waiting game I’m afraid.

No, amber means “prepare to stop”. As for getting a fine, I believe that a human has to sign off on the photos so it will be seen that’s it’s just the tail end of an artic.

Radar19:

mike68:

No, amber means “prepare to stop”. As for getting a fine, I believe that a human has to sign off on the photos so it will be seen that’s it’s just the tail end of an artic.

It means stop it always has, the two photos will show he is moving through the junction, difficult to call depends on speed the length of vehicle may mitigate. gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … ng-traffic

mike68:

Radar19:

mike68:

It means stop it always has, the two photos will show he is moving through the junction, difficult to call depends on speed the length of vehicle may mitigate. gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … ng-traffic

In that link it says stop, but carry on if already past the line or it’s unsafe to stop. The op has already said it was safer to carry on

The rule is AMBER = Stop

The exception is in the case that it is “Unsafe” to stop.

RED = Stop

If “ANY PART” (Magic word) of the vehicle passes the stop line on Amber or Red you have committed an offence (Unless Amber, not safe to stop)

Red Light Cameras work like this

Amber (3 Seconds) - No Enforcement
Red (First 1 Second) - No Enforcement
Red (After 1 Second) - Camera/Sensors active

So if you can’t clear the stop line in 4 seconds of the green light going out, then you are stuffed.

Any part of the vehicle means just that, including trailers.

If they are the timings then I’d say I was through the junction before that 1 second after the red, just about. Fingers crossed then. Only 14 days will tell.

Personally I think amber doesn’t mean stop, red means stop. Amber is warning you that you need to take action. It means stop if safe to do so, but if you’ve already committed you should go as that’s safer. And that’s what I did in this situation I was committed and went, and if I was a few feet shorter I probably wouldn’t even be asking the question on here.

The traffic light cameras also record (using radar) the speed of the vehicle - it is shown on the photo (only one is taken). With the time elapsed since the lights changed to red and the speed of the vehicle both known, it is a simple matter to calculate whether the front of the vehicle crossed the line on red.

SEDriver:
The rule is AMBER = Stop

The exception is in the case that it is “Unsafe” to stop.

RED = Stop

If “ANY PART” (Magic word) of the vehicle passes the stop line on Amber or Red you have committed an offence (Unless Amber, not safe to stop)

Red Light Cameras work like this

Amber (3 Seconds) - No Enforcement
Red (First 1 Second) - No Enforcement
Red (After 1 Second) - Camera/Sensors active

So if you can’t clear the stop line in 4 seconds of the green light going out, then you are stuffed.

Any part of the vehicle means just that, including trailers.

Ironically by that description crossing an amber or even red light could mean no offence being recorded but crossing a green light changing to amber/red with a long vehicle could.While if it allows 1 second after red it obviously won’t record crossing an amber light at all.

As for amber meaning stop that’s correct.But it’s a zb stupid idea without a flashing green advanced warning of the change and which in either case defeats the object of the amber light between green and red. :unamused:

Rowley010:
Personally I think amber doesn’t mean stop, red means stop. Amber is warning you that you need to take action.

Trust me the law doesn’t see it that way.Amber means stop unless you can prove very exceptional circumstances on the basis of guilty unless proven innocent.

Well in the good old days we didn’t usually bother to stick a number plate on the trailer, and if we did it was just a random one we found at the gatehouse.

Carryfast:

Rowley010:
Personally I think amber doesn’t mean stop, red means stop. Amber is warning you that you need to take action.

Trust me the law doesn’t see it that way.Amber means stop unless you can prove very exceptional circumstances on the basis of guilty unless proven innocent.

I know the way the law sees it. Amber means stop, however, you only quoted part of what I said. I then said unless you are committed and in which case even if you slammed on you’d still end up stopped in the middle of the junction, car or truck, your better off going.

Let’s face it, there has to be a bit of leeway on an Amber other what’s the point in it? Why not just cut out all Amber lights and go from green straight to red with no warning?

Green means go, Amber means stop, red means stop, then Amber means stay stopped, then green means go…so what’s the bloody point in wasting tax payers money on Amber lights? To the letter of the law it does mean stop, but if your committed then surely your safer for everyone to just go. And when i say committed I do mean literally at the line, just past it, or a VERY short space before it. That’s committed to me. Committed is not being 5ft away and flooring it to get though, or even 2ft away and flooring it. Committed is where I was today, pretty much on the line as it went to Amber.

Eric Rambler:
Well in the good old days we didn’t usually bother to stick a number plate on the trailer, and if we did it was just a random one we found at the gatehouse.

Mix and match take your pick number plates.If you lost the trailer plate and the spare just take the spare one out of another unit. :smiling_imp: :laughing: But they all traced back to the same place. :bulb: :wink: