Traffic Light Camera

was driving a fully laden 40 ft. artic through Manchester outskirts at about 02:00 am.

Stopped at a set of red traffic lights. They went green, I set off taking a bit long to get going.
When the truck + trailer was just over halfway over the stop line, the lights went amber.
So my cab was about 25 ft. past the stop line at this point.
I carried on, speed now about 15 going up towards 20 mph.
a second or so later, I ‘think’ i saw a flash behind me, but I cant be sure, it might just have been somebody’s headlights in my mirror.

Question.
if it was a camera, what’s the chances of me getting a ticket

I think that if I had stopped when the amber came on that I would have been blocking the junction.

What do you people out there think?

Cheers,
Landylad

Those cameras take 2 pictures to determine speed and from that speed it would be quite obvious what happened

I reckon you will hear nowt

Hi,
Same happened to my dad few months back plus he was carrying full load of chemicals,
Half way through and flash!

His company got the ticket paid off and no points as he explained the situation all he had to do was a quick 30 minute game online about safety cameras etc and planning before entering a set of traffic lights with a 44ton artic haha

Don’t worry I’m sure you’ll sort it!

Thanks for that reply, but I am Agency and I don’t think the company will pay any fine that comes my way.

So , does anybody have any knowledge or experience of these situations?

What’s likely to happen?
Cheers

Doubtful,

They can tell the speed and would see that you are very low speed (The limit is 40 there) and you have a second or so AFTER they turn red.

If it flashed, you’d know about it. It’s VERY bright.

Thanks stagedriver.

there’s more info I can give. It was a 30 limit and I am sure that the lights actually went red before all of my trailer was across the stop line. Does that change things?

Who makes the decision to send a NIP? - A copper or somebody in the CPS? Do they have any idea about driving big heavy long trucks.
(For that matter, do I ■■?)

Landylad

Hi again,

Well doesnt matter if your agency it’s safer to go through once committed as if you slammed on would you really stop a fully loaded Lorry in time?

Just explain that you went through on green and you couldn’t stop if you tried that’s what my dad said plus dangerous to slam on with chemicals/ whatever the cargo is should shift and jackknife!

IF it ever got back to you (Which I seriously doubt it would) you felt you had committed to the jcn and unsafe to stop, if you had attempted to the vehicle would have obstructed a junction and could cause an accident etc, but the people that issue these fines have a brain.

LandyLad:
was driving a fully laden 40 ft. artic through Manchester outskirts at about 02:00 am.

Stopped at a set of red traffic lights. They went green, I set off taking a bit long to get going.
When the truck + trailer was just over halfway over the stop line, the lights went amber.
So my cab was about 25 ft. past the stop line at this point.
I carried on, speed now about 15 going up towards 20 mph.
a second or so later, I ‘think’ i saw a flash behind me, but I cant be sure, it might just have been somebody’s headlights in my mirror.

Question.
if it was a camera, what’s the chances of me getting a ticket

I think that if I had stopped when the amber came on that I would have been blocking the junction.

What do you people out there think?

Cheers,
Landylad

As far as I know, each photo is assessed to ascertain whether an infringement has been committed. I wouldn’t worry, if what you’re saying is true, you haven’t committed an offence so if you get a ticket, fight it.

Chill out mate, you wont hear a thing, trust me. I use to be just like you getting worried about going through traffic lights with cameras just as they changed and i’ve had some very close ones, possibly more so than your one and never heard a thing.

The red traffic light applies to the solid white stop line at the lights. If a driver ‘runs’ a red light the camera will flash twice, the first flash (picture) to show the driver ran the red signal, not stopping at the stop line and the second flash (picture) is to show that the driver continued without stopping, speed doesn’t come into it.

IMHO its clear you did not fail to stop at the signal nor the stop line. If the possible flash was a picture being taken of your truck it will show your tug unit well in advance of the stop line. Usually the 1st picture shows a vehicle actually in the process of crossing the stop line, its an immediate trigger once the signal goes red.

Did you explain this event to the truck owners you were driving for? Worst case scenario is they will receive the NIP from CPS with a request for the name and address of the driver. Not knowing what they are providing the info for may well mean they won’t want you back…just a thought!

Agree with saarmon, you probably wont hear a thing

Tazbug