Reasons given for H&S rules

109LWB:

windrush:
Nothing new about this, back in the 90’s we had to wear Hi Viz and hard hats on sites and in quarries while still in the cab. Even had to wear hats while doing surfacing work on Motorways etc, I suppose to protect us from falling aircraft? I remember wearing an orange coat with silver stripes that my brother gave me (a rail maintenance workers jacket) and the quarry manager telling me that it wasn’t allowed in the quarry as yellow was the recognized colour and I wasn’t visible enough to dumper drivers etc. I told him that if it was good enough for High speed trains seeing workers then dumper drivers should have no problems and anyway he spotted me easily enough, his reply was “I saw you because you stood out from the lads wearing yellow”!! :confused: :unamused: Obviously not visible enough then?

Pete.

Had almost exactly the same at a quarry I went too. I had my full high vis garb on, trousers, jacket except they were standard yellow, and a white helmet. I usually don’t wear any of it, but I know quarries are usually pretty hot on it.
I wander into the office and get told I can’t go on site until I have the correct safety gear.
Turns out they wear orange and white helmets are reserved for the first aiders… (not sure why mot green like is standard pretty much everywhere else).

I said, well I don’t have another helmet and I only have yellow high vis gear, so you either let me in as I am, kit me out or I leave.

They gave me a brand new (green) helmet, trousers and jacket… still have them to this day.

Had similar at a warehouse in Eastbourne a couple of years ago, must wear Hi Viz, ok put on a yellow one, no, not allowed to wear a yellow one as I’m not a staff member, ok, also carry an orange one, no not allowed as orange ones are worn by the FLT drivers, in the end they lent me a pink one ffs.

A few years ago mobile phones had to be turned off on fuel forecourts, notice now that Esso which were one of the first ones to start the ban have released an app for your phone, you scan the code on the pump so you can pay for your fuel as you can with Shell, also noticed the signs saying mobiles to be turned off is no longer displayed, seems the risks change when it suits.

Just today i was asked to sign to warn me of the dangers of wd40 and adblue :unamused: and in last couple of months sign a bit of paper to use the washer have been fine for the last 24 yrs but now is dangerous whats next dress up like a space man to fuel up :question:

manski:

rob22888:
Try Amazon at Altrincham, not allowed to even walk in the yard without an ■■■■■■ following you. Also have to hand in your keys and sit in the waiting room when waiting for your load…when your solo :unamused: Don’t think about sneaking back to your cab because the drivers waiting area is locked.

If what happens is as you have written it, ie you are actually locked in a room :open_mouth: then, assuming you accept that situation (which I don’t think I could) it might be an idea to formulate some sort of plan in case there is fire as it does not sound as if any Amazon staff are going to have unlocking your door at the top of their list :unamused:

Seriously though, any visitor to a site, whether locked up or not, should be advised of the emergency procedures, and every room have fire exits. I believe they have fire drills in prisons…

In prison, well the one I worked in … was an old Victorian jail … always fires in cells you moved prisoners from cells around the cell on fire … oh, and remove the person in the cell :open_mouth: … then you open the fire hole and put the hose on … it had a apparatus which sprayed water into the cell … then await the fire service … a few times prisoners would set fire to their cells … the walls are so thick in the old vic jails it just cosmetic damage.

Went to Sodexo offices in Aberdeen last year, introduced myself at reception and was immediately asked if I’d been there before. Replied no, oh you’ll have to watch our H&S video. Emm Ok. Handed Ipad and sat and watched it. Handed it back to the receptionist. She asks what time is my interview…em not here for an interview. She now looks totally confused and flustered. So I let her know I’m there to see the Finance team and IT guys as I’m upgrading thier payroll system. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

neverhome73:
Just today i was asked to sign to warn me of the dangers of wd40 and adblue :unamused: and in last couple of months sign a bit of paper to use the washer have been fine for the last 24 yrs but now is dangerous whats next dress up like a space man to fuel up :question:

There chemicals and as such comprise a risk to your health,
If you look on the tin it also carries a warning and instructions.
All fuels carry a warning such as flammable.
The same as turn off the night heater at least 5 min before refuelling the truck there’s a risk of the fuel vapour combustion from the exhaust of the heater.
The same as do not smoke when fuelling a vehicle yes you’d be surprised how many would do it if there weren’t a sign saying don’t.

It might be H&S balls and over kill but if you think of stupid then think of really stupid and dumb then that’s the reason .

Amazon Peterborough. I pulled up at the security hut and two lorries were waiting in line. So I jumped out, opened my back doors, and removed my number plate. When I got to the window, some 19 year old prick with the sort of face you’d love to punch (but not know why) said “next time you come, don’t get out of your cab out here”. I asked why. “You might get run over” he grunted. What, by another lorry that isn’t there in the lanes either side? So I pointed into the yard. Anybody that’s been to Amazon Peterborough will know it can be quite a busy yard with 2 way traffic. So I told him I’m more likely to get run over in a yard where lorries and shunt vehicles are doing 180s, and that I’m much safer on the service road, and that I’ll take responsibility for my safety, not Amazon. He leaned out and looked down into the yard, and smiled, saying “oh yeah”, and then booked me in. So when I picked up my new trailer, I took the magnetic tag off, and lobbed it away, which caused him grief when I exited, lol. “Where’s yer tag?”. “Dunno mate, there wasn’t one”. Small victory and all that.

ezydriver:
Amazon Peterborough. I pulled up at the security hut and two lorries were waiting in line. So I jumped out, opened my back doors, and removed my number plate. When I got to the window, some 19 year old prick with the sort of face you’d love to punch (but not know why) said “next time you come, don’t get out of your cab out here”. I asked why. “You might get run over” he grunted. What, by another lorry that isn’t there in the lanes either side? So I pointed into the yard. Anybody that’s been to Amazon Peterborough will know it can be quite a busy yard with 2 way traffic. So I told him I’m more likely to get run over in a yard where lorries and shunt vehicles are doing 180s, and that I’m much safer on the service road, and that I’ll take responsibility for my safety, not Amazon. He leaned out and looked down into the yard, and smiled, saying “oh yeah”, and then booked me in. So when I picked up my new trailer, I took the magnetic tag off, and lobbed it away, which caused him grief when I exited, lol. “Where’s yer tag?”. “Dunno mate, there wasn’t one”. Small victory and all that.

That’s why manufacturers Normally apply a sticker saying do not drive more than ? Feet / mts with doors open as the securing mechanism could fail allowing the door to swing :unamused: only open the doors at the last minute

In prison, well the one I worked in … was an old Victorian jail … always fires in cells you moved prisoners from cells around the cell on fire … oh, and remove the person in the cell :open_mouth: … then you open the fire hole and put the hose on … it had a apparatus which sprayed water into the cell … then await the fire service … a few times prisoners would set fire to their cells … the walls are so thick in the old vic jails it just cosmetic damage.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as far as im aware over here then the norm when a scally torches the cell is that you will see the flap open and then hear the word"floor" yelled at you as the nozzle pokes through the fire hole.
the door wont be opened till the fires out unless its mega black smoke and the best place is for you to be is lying in front of the door so that most of the water goes past you.
they dont let you out first as they know itl have been you that torched the cell.

I guess I’m quite lucky in the sense that I don’t encounter a lot of this nonsense on a daily basis. I very rarely enter those massive H&S supersaturated hellholes.

ADM milling, Tilbury docks…Hi viz, hard hat and safety specs. Out in the soddin yard grrrr :imp:

Simple question, excuse me if I’m being simple.

I’ve often seen, you too probably, tanker drivers whilst delivering to the petrol stations and MSA’s, standing around the trailer, with a hard hat on :confused: :confused: WHY ■■?

Lonewolf Yorks:
ADM milling, Tilbury docks…Hi viz, hard hat and safety specs. Out in the soddin yard grrrr :imp:

Norbord at Cowie used to make you wear safety specs, in case a ton and a half pack of boards poked you in the eye and took your head off your shoulders.

A.

Adonis.:

Lonewolf Yorks:

Norbord at Cowie used to make you wear safety specs, in case a ton and a half pack of boards poked you in the eye and took your head off your shoulders.

A.

Nothing to do with being poked in the eye ,
It’s to do with particles of dust from the board getting into the eye preventing downtime and medical attention the same as the dust blown around the dock area, ever notice the workers on the highways wear glasses, or on building sites , concrete dust to name one contains lime. Just pop down the road into wicks and flick some cement dust in your eye then watch and feel it burn.

Santa:
It’s easy to take the mick; not so easy to write rules.

Most would agree that having drivers wandering about a busy yard in camouflage is a bad idea. The obvious solution is to have a rule that says everyone must make themselves visible. Simple rule = Everyone wears a high viz vest or jacket. If you tried to make exceptions for people in white shirts, you would have to specify how white - is light grey/dirty white okay? If drivers in the cab are exempt, you can be sure one will forget when nipping over to the bog for a leak. All these rules have to be written to make it difficult to get around them.

Yes, it’s true that some take it too far, and I did get a trifle annoyed when I was shouted at once for not walking on the designated walkway (not a bad idea in itself) but the shouter was a guy in a suit with no high-viz and standing well away from the walkway.

Annoying as it is for us, I do sympathise a bit with the whole waiting room thing. I know if I was a warehouse bod going on & off the back of trailers with machinery all day, unless there was a wheel locking system i’d be far happier with the driver being kept away from the cab, especially having got to know the calibre of a good percentage of drivers out there…

I have never been that bothered about having to sit in waiting rooms, so long as the facilities are at least clean & comfortable. Which they rarely are.

dieseldog999:
as far as im aware over here then the norm when a scally torches the cell is that you will see the flap open and then hear the word"floor" yelled at you as the nozzle pokes through the fire hole.
the door wont be opened till the fires out unless its mega black smoke and the best place is for you to be is lying in front of the door so that most of the water goes past you.
they dont let you out first as they know itl have been you that torched the cell.

Yeah, that’s right dd999, and if you’re stupid enough to do it on a night when the officers can’t open the doors, you’ll be left dripping wet all night.

Safety glasses and hard hat standing in an open yard ffs… :laughing: google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1 … =637&dpr=1

nick2008:
Nothing to do with being poked in the eye ,
It’s to do with particles of dust from the board getting into the eye preventing downtime and medical attention the same as the dust blown around the dock area, ever notice the workers on the highways wear glasses, or on building sites , concrete dust to name one contains lime. Just pop down the road into wicks and flick some cement dust in your eye then watch and feel it burn.

Load of utter pish, better not step outside the house in case I get dust in my eye, keep away from that beach you might get sand in your eye. :unamused:

A.

Lonewolf Yorks:

Many quarries insist on all that while the driver is still in the cab, at some a chap with cameras monitors it and a ban is enforced if the rules are broken. Cab door has to be locked when going to the weighbridge office as well, also engine must be switched off when on the weighbridge weighing in or out. You either abide by the rules or go elsewhere, and in this area there aren’t many other places left nowadays.

Pete.

image.jpeg
I just love my hi viz overalls i even wear them at home :blush: :blush:

They should find you easily in the snow this week then Dan. :sunglasses:

Pete.