Hi Viz whilst driving

I was wondering if the experienced drivers among you can say why some wear hi vis vests and indeed, jackets whilst driving?

Is it a company rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glabrate:
I was wondering if the experienced drivers among you can say why some wear hi vis vests and indeed, jackets whilst driving?

Is it a company rule?

Maritime drivers seem to like wearing them whilst driving.

It’s a useful warning sign, if the bod behind the wheel is too bone idle to remove his hivis vest you can guess what standards apply to their driving.

The only thing worse than that is wearing a greasy filthy hi-viz when in a cafe/services it’s like some people see it as a badge of honour or assumed elevated status or something (“I is a driver bow before me peasant!”), but as Juddian said it’s probably just bone idleness, akin to ■■■■■■■ against the wheel when less than 100yds from toilets.

Had to laugh at one of our drivers though, wearing his (liveried) work shirt in the supermarket… On his day off!

It’s a box jockey thing.

But I’ve heard, if you a fors you will soon need to wear hi-viz pants.

On the buses we weren’t allowed to wear hi-viz in the cab, “the reflection of the high viz can land on the windscreen causing an obstruction to the view ahead” :unamused:
I always took mine off anyway, the fewer layers I’m wearing, the more comfortable I feel when driving.

A practice carried out by those who are comfortable with themselves looking a complete ■■■■. :unamused: :laughing:

I personally have an aversion to that in my life, so it’s in the door pocket before I get back into the cab. :smiley:

biggriffin:
It’s a box jockey thing.

But I’ve heard, if you a fors you will soon need to wear hi-viz pants.

:open_mouth: What, whilst driving?? :open_mouth:
What the ■■■■ hell for??

Mine mostly comes off when driving, but sometimes I’m shuttling a trailer 1 junction down the motorway and just can’t be bothered to take it off, only to put it back on 5 minutes later, so leave it on.

Something made me laugh recently - I saw a bloke driving a tractor unit down the M1 with a hi-viz and hard hat on. I laughed heartily.

ezydriver:
Mine mostly comes off when driving, but sometimes I’m shuttling a trailer 1 junction down the motorway and just can’t be bothered to take it off, only to put it back on 5 minutes later, so leave it on.

Something made me laugh recently - I saw a bloke driving a tractor unit down the M1 with a hi-viz and hard hat on. I laughed heartily.

Funnily enough I once saw the same.
Hi viz buttoned to top, hard hat (with chinstrap) nose pressed nearly to windscreen…in fact I did put it on here at the time. :smiley:

I’ve seen people coming out of the showers wearing one :open_mouth:

idrive:

What? Naked with a hi viz? :open_mouth:
Are you not getting confused with some of the dodgy vids you watch. :laughing:

robroy:

ezydriver:

Funnily enough I once saw the same.
Hi viz buttoned to top, hard hat (with chinstrap) nose pressed nearly to windscreen…in fact I did put it on here at the time. :smiley:

It always makes me laugh. There’s a couple of blokes at work who always seem to have their hardhat on from the moment they get out their cars, and I always see them leaving the yard still wearing them in their lorries.

robroy:

idrive:

What? Naked with a hi viz? :open_mouth:
Are you not getting confused with some of the dodgy vids you watch. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: I need those DVDs back mate btw

Seriously though it seems to be part of some people’s identity, like they cease to be a DRIVER if they take it off. Same types that drive the car home still wearing it.
Not just drivers, lanyards are the equivalent in outside world. People wearing lanyards and id badges while doing the shopping after work just letting everyone know that they have a job and a purpose

Juddian:
It’s a useful warning sign, if the bod behind the wheel is too bone idle to remove his hivis vest you can guess what standards apply to their driving.

Hey no fair [emoji6]

I sometimes forget to take mine off then wonder wtf that glow is in windscreen!

Or is that my dementia setting in [emoji23]

ezydriver:

Seen that before too. I remember wondering why he had a hard hat, I don’t remember it being anything out of the ordinary that would require a hard hat.

A nice, greasy, manky pair of gloves while holding the wheel in a death grip seems to be the newest trend I’ve seen.

TheUncaringCowboy:
A nice, greasy, manky pair of gloves while holding the wheel in a death grip seems to be the newest trend I’ve seen.

Perhaps it wasn’t his own wagon? Christ knows, I’ve seen the inside of wagons where I put my gloves on before climbing the steps! And an already well-worn pair of gloves can easily come off worse from the experience. :laughing:

I wear a hi viz T-shirt. We do limited driving but spend all day on a building site operating a Hiab. Wearing a hi vi T-shirt is cooler than wearing a normal T-Shirt with a Hi viz vest over the top.
When you are sweating buckets in the full glare of the summer sun having a vest over a normal t shirt becomes too warm. Of course that means im driving around with Hi Vi on.
Hope that helps explain.

Another post about Hi Viz that has been worked to death.
Surely its upto the individual what he/ she wears whilst at work,depends on how many times they have to stop and start
I for one could not be arsed putting on and taking off multi times a day so it stayed on.and index finger to anybody that wants to take the ■■■■.

Mark my words, one day it will come that even general public when filling up cars at petrol stations will have to wear a hi-vis or shop assistant will not activate your pump